Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
OK that is kinda wild because the one 8 states away also homeschools? That is why I thought it was same daughter.
Yes, I can see why it would be confusing. Both my daughters have four kis, and both of them homeschool. But one lives an hour away and one lives 16 hours away (by car).

Old 07-11-2017, 08:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, I can see why it would be confusing. Both my daughters have four kis, and both of them homeschool. But one lives an hour away and one lives 16 hours away (by car).
Go! Drive or fly! You said she is nectar for your soul.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Plan that trip. I'm missing my 2 grandkids in CA, I was looking for plane flights this morning.

I love love love those photos.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Quote:
How did they get BEHIND MY KNEES? Both knees. I'm scratching like crazy!

Oh, and around my waistband too. Good times.
When we were kids we painted chiggers with clear nail polish. It did seem to work.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Your pictures are lovely. Such a charming place to have shared with your family.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
I googled it and was told my childhood memories are wrong. They don't borrow into your skin. But they are EATING it (ew!) Supposedly a good shower is supposed to knock them off.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
LOL get this:

Yes, I am going armed with DEET.

And the buyers who are buying the old house and barn are the current caretakers of the property. They have been wonderful caretakers for years and they love the old place. I was going to stay in a local hotel but they insisted that I sleep in the guest room in the old house. Since that's the room I always used to share with all my cousins when we were kids, it's extra special to me. And they are going to bake me some buttermilk biscuits with fig preserves the next morning - which is exactly the sort of breakfast I would have woken up to as a kid!

And that evening, we are already planning to sit around in the big old barn, with the cross breeze and the fans, and drink several bottles of wine as I sit there and soak in all those memories...all those people gone from my life...all those good times. Now they will be someone else's good times. I hope they are up for some stories - I think they are.

I expect to shed some tears. This will be my last night in that old house most likely. Unless I go to visit them. They are great people, and I consider them friends, so maybe I'll go back one day, but I sort of doubt it. I'm not counting on it anyway. This is my goodbye.

It will sure be bittersweet. But on a positive note, I really do like the buyers of both properties and I think the place is in great hands. There's joy in that. I mean, true joy. I am so grateful for so many things and people in my life.

Here's the big, beautiful barn just a few years ago. And here's the old house. I love this place - it's in my blood. Just too bad it's so far away from my real, current life. We can't keep it. But it will be hard to let it go.
Beautiful pictures. Despite the poignancy of having to let go of the property that holds so many of your good childhood memories, it sounds like your old homestead and those memories will be in caring, capable hands. The sorrow of having to let go of the homestead that means so much to you has to be mitigated, at least to some degree, by the thoughts that the new owners know of the history, know how much it means to you, and love the place as much as you do.

(((( Kathryn)))).

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM

Thanks, folks. I feel better this morning. And I will plan a trip to see my daughter. In fact, I talked with my husband and we're going in September. I don't think I need to rush off in my car to go see her before then - not to say that won't happen (LOL). But I did have a long talk with her last night and that helped!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:52 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
You have a lot on your plate. Whatever you can find can help the CPA determine basis for capital gains. You can take heart in fact capital gains tax has not been increased yet.

Title insurance companies are the cheapest way to go (few hundred dollars) on researching land acquisition dates. Some states do not require purchase price be recorded, though. But a title company could at least get dates by legal description & ownership chain.

Check with your parent's farm insurance carrier. They should be able to pull up record of what was added when. At a minimum agricultural holdings should carry a liability umbrella & property loss insurance.

You have made great progress. Hang in there.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You have a lot on your plate. Whatever you can find can help the CPA determine basis for capital gains. You can take heart in fact capital gains tax has not been increased yet.

Title insurance companies are the cheapest way to go (few hundred dollars) on researching land acquisition dates. Some states do not require purchase price be recorded, though. But a title company could at least get dates by legal description & ownership chain.

Check with your parent's farm insurance carrier. They should be able to pull up record of what was added when. At a minimum agricultural holdings should carry a liability umbrella & property loss insurance.

You have made great progress. Hang in there.
Those are great tips - thanks.

I am going to meet with their long term CPA Friday as well as with the appraisal firm. Maybe the CPA firm has purchase price records going back 20 years or so - I hope so. At least I can give them a heads' up about the estate tax return so they can start looking some things up too. And the appraisal firm just did the current appraisals on the land so maybe they can work with the CPA firm to fill in all the blanks. We'll see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving