Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The Christmas sweater part had me laughing too.
Oh yes and especially in Summer ... in Texas. Priceless

Old 07-13-2017, 10:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I wonder if the missing light bulbs are connected with the unplugging? Hubby used to turn off power strips, so when the lights did not go on he would take out the bulbs because he assumed that they had burned out. Maybe your mom is doing the same thing (the lamp does not go on because it is unplugged so mom takes out the bulb but forgets before she finds and puts in a new bulb).
Possibly.

She unplugs EVERYTHING though. It's sort of bizarre. It's not like anything in her house has every spontaneously combusted or anything. But she is convinced that leaving things plugged in will cause a fire.

She is also convinced that talking on phones gives people brain cancer so she puts her phone on a plate and holds it about 6 inches from her head.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:42 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
<>my dad called me in a panic because he couldn't find his dentures. I drove over there and hunted for hours until I finally found them in the refrigerator.<>
On a boat ride my dad thought he had lost his hearing aids. We searched for an hour before someone thought to look (wait for it) . . . in his ear! The battery had died.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
On a boat ride my dad thought he had lost his hearing aids. We searched for an hour before someone thought to look (wait for it) . . . in his ear! The battery had died.
Oh my gosh. Seems we all have stories like that, Crashj. I'm certain that someday people will be telling stories of the funny things we did when we reach that point.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Yes! Well, yesterday in the lobby of Mom's apartment complex, a woman stopped her and said, "Oh my, honey, I hope you found your teeth." I said, "What?" Mom meanwhile smiled and nodded and said, "I did and I'm sure glad I did because it would be very expensive if I couldn't find them." I said, "Wait - what?" The other woman said, "I knew they had to be in your apartment all along!" Mom said, "They were - I found them under the bed!"

I said, "Stop! Mom, you don't have false teeth." She just stood there and smiled at the woman, who was looking at her, then me, then her again. The other woman said, "But I thought you lost them." "I did," Mom said.

I said "YOU DON'T HAVE FALSE TEETH." Mom said, "No, I certainly do not." I said, "Then you couldn't lose them." She said, "I didn't lose any teeth. I don't know what you're going on about. I lost my keys."

Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I bet that was therapeutic to write out the tale from your mom's viewpoint. That was fun to read and is probably pretty close to spot on.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:34 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I said "YOU DON'T HAVE FALSE TEETH." Mom said, "No, I certainly do not." I said, "Then you couldn't lose them." She said, "I didn't lose any teeth. I don't know what you're going on about. I lost my keys."
So now you can add "get Mom a hearing aid" to your list of things to do. lol

I know, I know, she would just lose it. Or she would be convinced it was just a government mind-control device or something like that and refuse to wear it.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:41 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
So now you can add "get Mom a hearing aid" to your list of things to do. lol

I know, I know, she would just lose it. Or she would be convinced it was just a government mind-control device or something like that and refuse to wear it.
Unfortunately, that's probably so true. My Mom used to adjust her hearing aids constantly (always turning the volume up), and I swear she had me change the batteries out every time I visited her. She had quite a stock of the little batteries in her dresser when she died.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Oh yes and especially in Summer ... in Texas. Priceless
I think that is sad. She was burning up. That seems like the dementia part.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:32 PM

687 posts, read 637,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think that is sad. She was burning up. That seems like the dementia part.
I'm thinking maybe the stealing might be from dementia too. That can be a symptom of the type of dementia my mom has - Frontotemporal, but I don't know if it is of vascular as well. My guess would be that if she would not have thought of stealing anything earlier in life, then that probably is, sadly, dementia at work now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving