Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

Here's the urban dictionary:

Crunk is also thought to be derived from a combination or a portmanteau of the words "crazy" and "drunk", or a combination of "chronic" and "drunk", referring to the state of being both drunk from alcohol and high on marijuana, at the same time.

IDK how y'all talk up there in the NE part of Texas!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Here's the urban dictionary:

Crunk is also thought to be derived from a combination or a portmanteau of the words "crazy" and "drunk", or a combination of "chronic" and "drunk", referring to the state of being both drunk from alcohol and high on marijuana, at the same time.

IDK how y'all talk up there in the NE part of Texas!
I done told you how we talk. Up here, "crunk" means "ornery" - I don't care what the Urban Dictionary says!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I done told you how we talk. Up here, "crunk" means "ornery" - I don't care what the Urban Dictionary says!
Lordy! Well, I reckon up yonder, y'all have some strange ways. Bless your hearts!

Last edited by jencam; 07-26-2017 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times
Kathryn
I've been reading your saga. You have such writers talent. I've am trying to get insight as to what may happen with my parents sometime in the near future. The both parents are usually very pragmatic and have prepared their estate, funeral arrangements even DNR'S if the worse happen. The possibility of stroke leaving them severely incapacitated is their biggest fear. They have no intention of living that way.

Anyway. For the dry shampoo, baby powder really works well. I even use it myself on occasion. Just sprinkle in work it around a bit and brush out. I have used a lavender scented also. I read somewhere about the old lady smell issue. Someone who worked around a nursing home/assisted living said to try shaving cream as a wash for urine odor or what it is . Not sure if was the regular or gel, I think regular. But it supposedly work great. Maybe let her try some, tell her it's a new soap you just love and she might like it too. Probably would have trouble telling her to use shaving cream I would think. Yeah, sounds strange to also. Haven't tried myself.

Thank you for your insightful posts.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Kathryn
I've been reading your saga. You have such writers talent. I've am trying to get insight as to what may happen with my parents sometime in the near future. The both parents are usually very pragmatic and have prepared their estate, funeral arrangements even DNR'S if the worse happen. The possibility of stroke leaving them severely incapacitated is their biggest fear. They have no intention of living that way.

Anyway. For the dry shampoo, baby powder really works well. I even use it myself on occasion. Just sprinkle in work it around a bit and brush out. I have used a lavender scented also. I read somewhere about the old lady smell issue. Someone who worked around a nursing home/assisted living said to try shaving cream as a wash for urine odor or what it is . Not sure if was the regular or gel, I think regular. But it supposedly work great. Maybe let her try some, tell her it's a new soap you just love and she might like it too. Probably would have trouble telling her to use shaving cream I would think. Yeah, sounds strange to also. Haven't tried myself.

Thank you for your insightful posts.
Hey, thank you! And it does sound like your parents have laid some good groundwork, which is so incredibly important. Just a year or so before my dad died, we went through hell with my inlaws who had NOT laid any groundwork or prepared well for their elder years and it was really, really awful. So yes, it's very helpful to have parents who prepare well. Keep talking with yours if you can. Think about different scenarios and talk them through. For instance, though he was well prepared in many ways, my dad died unexpectedly and frankly, my mom had the more serious health issues and no one expected her to outlive him. I really didn't think too much about "what happens if Dad dies first" and I wish I had because I would have asked him a lot more questions about, for instance, his business, the estate, the properties, etc. That's been a huge stress for me - at least as stressful as my mom's needs, probably more so.

I like the idea of baby powder or baking soda for a dry shampoo - thank you. I am going to ask my mom about that this Sunday and suggest it.

I cannot imagine my "chemical fearful" mother, who I have found out won't even use toothpaste because of it's ingredients, using shaving cream (aerosol - THE HORRORS!) on her "under yonder" regions! But I am going to try to convince her to start using baby wipes. I can get some that are "all natural."

This is why I love this forum - so many helpful ideas come from it!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM

Update and more good news:

Mom's meds are really having a positive impact. Her apartment looks very, very good! She used to be a very good housekeeper with a lovely home, and when she moved into the apartment, we moved her nicest things in there, so it has the potential to be beautiful. But she began trashing it so much that it looked pretty awful. But the last several times I've been over there, she's been working diligently on cleaning and picking up things and organizing, which is a HUGE step in the right direction.

I am so proud of her!

She is still griping about taking her meds, but she's taking them and being very cooperative with the meds administrator. I had a good conversation with the meds administrator yesterday and she said that Mom has been very easy to work with for weeks now. The wonders of modern medicine!

She is still having a hard time understanding and keeping up with linear time. But she sounds chipper and energetic, she's been cleaning and organizing and seems to have plenty of energy for that, she's eating much better and obviously sleeping better. So coupled with the correct meds, her thought processes are MUCH better. Plus, I think she's moved well through her shock and grief over my dad's passing so that's good too. I think she's coming to grips with her new life, which would be hard, so I commend her.

Go, Mom!!! I'm so relieved.

If the last few years have taught me anything, they've taught me to appreciate the reprieves WHILE they are happening. So I am enjoying the moment of peace. Maybe it will last awhile, maybe not - but it feels good right now.

Another positive update - my mentally ill brother has been VERY cooperative and reasonable about the sale of the family property and cleaning stuff out. That's a huge relief.

The right meds and good therapy - wow, what a difference they make!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times
Caution about Lampe Berger, which is really the only good brand:

They have a HUGE flame when they're being primed before each use. Assisted Living and some senior facilities would never allow them. I have quite a lovely collection, including very old antique LB. I can't use them anymore because I'm on oxygen.

Frankly, they are dangerous. I thought so years ago, long before I got old.

Knock off brands aren't worth a bucket of warm spit. That's especially true of the fuel. Lordy, LB Charleston and New Orleans are some of the best scents on Planet Earth.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Can't use any sort of candle or heat involving any flame in her apartment - it's against the rules of the apartment complex.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Update and more good news:

Mom's meds are really having a positive impact. Her apartment looks very, very good! She used to be a very good housekeeper with a lovely home, and when she moved into the apartment, we moved her nicest things in there, so it has the potential to be beautiful. But she began trashing it so much that it looked pretty awful. But the last several times I've been over there, she's been working diligently on cleaning and picking up things and organizing, which is a HUGE step in the right direction.

I am so proud of her!

She is still griping about taking her meds, but she's taking them and being very cooperative with the meds administrator. I had a good conversation with the meds administrator yesterday and she said that Mom has been very easy to work with for weeks now. The wonders of modern medicine!

She is still having a hard time understanding and keeping up with linear time. But she sounds chipper and energetic, she's been cleaning and organizing and seems to have plenty of energy for that, she's eating much better and obviously sleeping better. So coupled with the correct meds, her thought processes are MUCH better. Plus, I think she's moved well through her shock and grief over my dad's passing so that's good too. I think she's coming to grips with her new life, which would be hard, so I commend her.

Go, Mom!!! I'm so relieved.

If the last few years have taught me anything, they've taught me to appreciate the reprieves WHILE they are happening. So I am enjoying the moment of peace. Maybe it will last awhile, maybe not - but it feels good right now.

Another positive update - my mentally ill brother has been VERY cooperative and reasonable about the sale of the family property and cleaning stuff out. That's a huge relief.

The right meds and good therapy - wow, what a difference they make!
Truly fantastic news.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:34 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,214,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Caution about Lampe Berger, which is really the only good brand:

They have a HUGE flame when they're being primed before each use. Assisted Living and some senior facilities would never allow them. I have quite a lovely collection, including very old antique LB. I can't use them anymore because I'm on oxygen.

Frankly, they are dangerous. I thought so years ago, long before I got old.

Knock off brands aren't worth a bucket of warm spit. That's especially true of the fuel. Lordy, LB Charleston and New Orleans are some of the best scents on Planet Earth.

You do have to be careful when lighting the lamp. Whenever I light mine, I sit down right in front of it for the 2-3 minutes it takes to prime it. (open flame) Then, I blow it out, put the protective cap on, and let it burn for about 45 mins to an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving