Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 11:36 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Look at it this way - even if she catches it, she's got a 90% chance of surviving, maybe more. There are lots of things that have a better chance of killing her today. Sad but true.
The case fatality rate for people over 80 ranges from 13% in South Korea to 20% in Italy. Sorry to bear that unfortunate news.

Source: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 11:40 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Honestly, I have panic attacks when I see frail seniors out in the stores these days. If they can avoid it, they should stay home.
They should stay home because you have panic attacks? Just let them live their lives and mind your own business.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
The case fatality rate for people over 80 ranges from 13% in South Korea to 20% in Italy. Sorry to bear that unfortunate news.
It's 9.5% in my county. Since I live here and not in South Korea or Italy, that's the only figure that is relevant to me. Maybe you could look up what the case fatality rate for 80+ is where you live.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:50 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, so posted here. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. I figured people here might understand my concerns.

Mom isn't in a nursing home. She is 84 and lives in her home alone and is self-sufficient. She does have high blood pressure and takes medication for that, but otherwise she is pretty healthy. She stays active and is very social.

She has not gone to any store since this quarantine has started. I get her what she needs. She loves to work in her yard and that has kept her from going batty. During the day, if it's not raining, then she is outside in the yard.

Would you think it would be safe if I took her to Lowes one day, first thing in the morning when they open and before it got crowded, so that she could pick out some flowers to plant in her yard or would that be too risky?

I'm thinking if she just stays in the outdoor garden area and away from others, she would be ok especially if that area wasn't crowded first thing in the morning.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Her age itself places her at a higher risk for covid-19. I don't think I'd be making the decision on the statistical likelihood of her surviving a coronavirus infection, since it can do damage besides killing you.

Does Lowes have a special shopping hour for the elderly? I'm not her age yet but I qualify for senior hour at the local Walmart. Since the same small group of us get in a socially distant line a little before 6 am, we've gotten to know each other and it's nice to make small talk with people besides spouses and such.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:27 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They should stay home because you have panic attacks? Just let them live their lives and mind your own business.
Wow. You're special.

No, they shouldn't stay home because I have panic attacks. I just think it's needless risk. Some of these seniors look like they could be blown over by a good wind. I've volunteered to run errands for people on NextDoor, but I haven't had any takers.

But yeah, if you can stop an elderly relative from going out and you know it's not absolutely necessary, you should do it and run the errand yourself. And if they're insisting on going out for human interaction, try to find a way to set up a safe meet up with someone they know.

Because it really sucks when elderly people die alone and suffocating, ya know?

Old 05-20-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
But yeah, if you can stop an elderly relative from going out and you know it's not absolutely necessary, you should do it and run the errand yourself. And if they're insisting on going out for human interaction, try to find a way to set up a safe meet up with someone they know.

While I'm sure you have the best intentions in the world, it also sucks when your younger relatives treat you like some kind of imbecile and try to take charge of your life.

I would not dream of trying to "stop" my elderly mother-in-law from going shopping, even though I could easily go fetch her groceries. She stayed home as long as she wanted to, which was actually from February through the beginning of May, and when she decided she was ready to go out, she started going out. It is not my or my husband's place to tell her what to do.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:51 AM

37,126 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My 96 yr old FIL still goes shopping twice a week. We tried to tell him to let us do it for him but he'd rather get out and do SOMETHING than stay home and wait on other people. It's not terribly convenient for anyone to do that for him anyway.

My parents haven't been out but only because they don't drive and I do the driving. I shop and visit with them a few times a week but my dad's been housebound for a few years and they were used to the distraction of regular visitors to keep them from boredom. This has been pretty bad for them without that and they can't "wait for a cure" so told my mom last week that I'd take her to the grocery store whenever she wants to go just so she can feel connected to the world. My parents aren't worried about dying from a virus.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post

Source: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid
Does the mom live in South Korea or Italy?

For some perspective, the death rate in GENERAL for people over 80 was 78 percent (of deaths per year) prior to COVID 19. Now it's 80 percent of deaths per year.
Quote:
“When you get old, something kills you,” economist and demographer Lyman Stone wrote on Twitter after sharing some charts that inspired the one above. “But Covid is an extra something. An extra wolf in the pack.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ing-fatalities

Old 05-21-2020, 07:20 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Wow. You're special.

No, they shouldn't stay home because I have panic attacks. I just think it's needless risk. Some of these seniors look like they could be blown over by a good wind. I've volunteered to run errands for people on NextDoor, but I haven't had any takers.

May I PM you my MIL's contact info or would you rather visit my Mother to buy organic vegetables?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:27 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have been to Lowe’s and HD and felt safe. The stores are big enough for social distancing, and the garden center is a welcome relief. I keep antibacterial wipes in my purse and also a mask. Just wipe of the cart and keep away from others. Use the wipe before you touch a key pad, or door handles, etc.

I’m 72 and DH is 70. We operate almost normally. He has worked part time at HD through the pandemic...although he works early mornings and doesn’t have much customer contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving