Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:07 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, so posted here. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. I figured people here might understand my concerns.

Mom isn't in a nursing home. She is 84 and lives in her home alone and is self-sufficient. She does have high blood pressure and takes medication for that, but otherwise she is pretty healthy. She stays active and is very social.

She has not gone to any store since this quarantine has started. I get her what she needs. She loves to work in her yard and that has kept her from going batty. During the day, if it's not raining, then she is outside in the yard.

Would you think it would be safe if I took her to Lowes one day, first thing in the morning when they open and before it got crowded, so that she could pick out some flowers to plant in her yard or would that be too risky?

I'm thinking if she just stays in the outdoor garden area and away from others, she would be ok especially if that area wasn't crowded first thing in the morning.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
NO! My SIL who works at Home Depot says that they've had employees come down with it. The Angel of Death is at the checkout counter, walking the aisles, shopping in front of and behind you. Keep her out of stores, and you minimize your visits and time there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 10:10 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
We can't all hide forever. This virus may be around for years.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,937,491 times
At this point and for some time to come,at 92 very risky for everyone,like the roll of the dice.I am 87,have had bypass some time ago and wife and I have been home bound since second week of March,one mistake and you are dead,very nasty virus and easily passed on.
If I lived in a almost zero area I would go out as necessary.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:44 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Let her out, protected, before she dies of boredom.
Everyone is different.

I am a widow that lives alone. While I am only 68 I am a cancer survivor with a compromised immune system, as well as other health issues. I have been self-quarantined in my house for about nine weeks (except for walks around my immediate neighborhood and sitting outside on my patio in sunny weather).

I am certainly NOT bored.
Do I miss seeing my kids, grandkids and other relatives. Heck, yes.
Do I miss having an occasional lunch with my friends? Heck, yes.
Do I miss being invited to lunches and picnics at my brother's house? Heck, yes.
Do I miss all those fabulous dishes that my brother makes from scratch (and all the left overs that he sends home with me)? Heck, yes.
Do I miss shopping the after holiday sales when Easter candy and basket toys are 80% off? Heck, yes.

But, am I bored at home? Heck, no.
I Skype a few times a week with my grandchildren. I talk with my sister everyday on the phone when we walk "together" (in different states).I talk on the phone with my adult children and other siblings almost every day. I talk through the window screen, at a distance, once every week or two when my younger, healthier niece or nephew drop off groceries for me. I watch movies on Netflix. I have binge watched TV series that I missed when I was too busy to watch them. I cook more meals from scratch than I have in decades. I have started a new craft which I enjoy very much (diamond painting). I have other craft kits that I haven't yet found the time to open and start. I call old friends and relatives that I usually only contact with my once a year Christmas letter. I have video doctor's appointments. I have ordered things on line or on the phone and had them delivered or shipped to me instead of going to stores (if possible buying from local small businesses). I've written letters in cursive to my great nephews and great nieces (at the request of their parents) so that they receive mail and try out their cursive reading skills. Plus many other things.

I am looking forward to doing some puzzles, doing more reading and listening to music----if I ever find enough time to do those things. I still haven't found the time to clean my closets and clean the garage, but maybe next month (or next season).

So, I certainly will not "die from boredom" any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We can't all hide forever. This virus may be around for years.
I suppose it depends on your attitude. I feel that I am "safer at home" not "stuck at home".

My siblings are thinking of planning a very mini family reunion once it gets safer. We were originally going to meet for the 4th of July (2020), but are now thinking about next fall, but spring or summer of 2021 would be OK, too.

I live in the Midwest (US) and my daughter lives in Paris, she said that we should think about traveling together to see the tulips in bloom in the Netherlands in April 2022.

Obviously people in my family know how to delay gratification and not to get upset if we need to wait for good things in the future.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-13-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-13-2020, 11:00 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, so posted here. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. I figured people here might understand my concerns.

Mom isn't in a nursing home. She is 84 and lives in her home alone and is self-sufficient. She does have high blood pressure and takes medication for that, but otherwise she is pretty healthy. She stays active and is very social.

She has not gone to any store since this quarantine has started. I get her what she needs. She loves to work in her yard and that has kept her from going batty. During the day, if it's not raining, then she is outside in the yard.

Would you think it would be safe if I took her to Lowes one day, first thing in the morning when they open and before it got crowded, so that she could pick out some flowers to plant in her yard or would that be too risky?

I'm thinking if she just stays in the outdoor garden area and away from others, she would be ok especially if that area wasn't crowded first thing in the morning.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Sure. Let her get out and enjoy.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:30 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
One of my friends said the worst place ever for customers not practicing distancing was at the garden center. I was surprised by that. So I'd make a deal that she'd leave for the car, if it became crowded &/or during the check out phase of the store visit.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
We have some senior friends. He is in his 80's, she is in her 70's. They voted for Trump and I heard early on that it was the "media." You know that koolaid drinking bizarre disconnect about how serious this was. She's a retired nurse, but she got it before he did. She has Parkinson's, he has a heart condition. They live in a low income town with high numbers of Covid in Cook County. It's bad here. Yet she insists on going out to the stores with a cloth mask on because she needs to get out and the N95 is uncomfortable. It's ridiculous how stupid this is. I tried to talk to her but stubborn and stupid often go hand in hand.

I'm trying to get in touch with another friend, a recently retired Respiratory Therapist in her 70's with he 80 year old husband. She has some surgical masks and I told her that they are ineffective in blocking Covid. I told her you need an N95. She knows better, yet they went to Cosco about two weeks ago. I told her that she should be the only one going in. Why risk double exposure? Did she listen? No. He now has a dry cough and went to the doctor yesterday.

Another friend, recently retired 68 year old Respiratory Therapist. I sent him one of our N95's. We have just a couple. He swore he wore it in the stores, yet, he's now positive. He was the one I was most worried about getting it, and he still got it. How? We don't know.

I started wearing my N95 and gloves back in March. I tracked the virus and only shopped in Covid free counties. The next day they would appear on the list with cases. I don't shop at all now. Instacart and Prime Fresh work just fine. People like me should do our part and stay home. Am I bored? You bet, but I feel it's so selfish to be going out there when you simply need to get out. This is the typical it's all about me mentality. It's short sighted and very selfish.

I can't control what my friends do, and I can't dwell on it if they get sick. I tried my best to reason with them. People are going to do what they're going to do. I will continue to be responsible with this and stay home.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:06 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,392,491 times
I am 86 and go to fetch groceries and meds. My wife 85, stays home, but gives me a shopping list. I go early on a weekday morning, wear a mask and keep my distance, wash immediately when I get home.

I could use a couple of things from Lowe's, but they are not urgent, so they will wait.

Yesterday I lost 5 pounds.....I got a haircut. In Florida they were allowed to open this week.

Yesterday we put the top down and drove to a beach on the side of a causeway. Sheriff Deputies were numerous and we did not get within 20' of anyone else. There were annoying "love bugs" in profusion, so we did not stay long. In over 40 years we have never seen love bugs in that area.

Our kids grew up here, but now live in the farthest corner of the country.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Tried to discourage my wife from going out but I understand she needs to see things and go shopping and have a somewhat normal life but she only goes out for very few things and she wears masks and gloves and social distances herself from others that’s about all you can do anymore. You can’t live life in a box
We just don’t go out anymore than we have to in order to get food or fill up the car or basics but restaurants are gonna be off the menu for a while no movies no crowded anything you know you have to do what’s best for you and what you think is best for you not with some government stooge tells you and if you don’t feel comfortable going out and go places then don’t go

Old 05-13-2020, 01:19 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
I think it would be fine to go out with your mother. It's nice of you.
Stores are making their premises as safe as possible such as enhanced cleaning and disinfecting. If you use a store cart wipe the handles down with disinfectant wipes and use hand sanitizer right after leaving the store before you touch car door handles and the steering wheel.

I am a senior and I went to Walmart's garden center where they are practicing safe distancing, each aisle has arrows on the floor showing one way traffic so there aren't any people able to pass each other at close range, and have floor decals showing where to stand while waiting in lines with appropriate spacing every 6 feet.

I also have to go out for groceries and medication. I usually order online but lead time for picking up or having delivered has reached 5 days from the date of order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving