Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Okay, the results came back. According to the vet, my cat has feline idiopathic cystitis and the problem should go away within 7-10 days. He said if we wanted her to feel comfortable going to the bathroom, they can give injections at the hospital to sooth the pain, or it is also available in tablet form. And if she takes them, she needs to return to the hospital to have another urinalysis to see if there's any blood in the urine and to make sure she's going back to her normal routine.
So glad you made the decision to bring your cat in to the vet. Please give pain medication, as this is a very painful condition for a cat to have.

I have a male cat who has been diagnosed with a cystic bladder. He has flair ups now and then, and when he does, I immediately give him herbal pain tincture and Rescue Remedy. You will also want to feed your cat only moist canned food, for the dry food will increase the chances of your cat having more problems. Right now would be a good idea to get more water into your cat with an oral syringe if you have one, or if your kitty is good at being handled, and you know how to open her mouth with ease, you could give her water from a teaspoon.

Good luck! Keep in mind, 5cats, that with this kind of condition, your cat will now be predisposed to have bladder problems and proper nutrition for the rest of her natural life is an absolute must in order to keep her healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM

31 posts, read 121,787 times
Thank you Garden of Eden. The problem with this kitty of mine is that she won't eat moist canned food, she only eats dry food. What should I do to help her going back to canned food. And what kind should I feed her?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Thank you Garden of Eden. The problem with this kitty of mine is that she won't eat moist canned food, she only eats dry food. What should I do to help her going back to canned food. And what kind should I feed her?
5cats, this is where tough love comes into play. You must start putting down moist food without offering any kibble on the side. If you are feeding kibble freely, please stop it immediately, for this is not only the worst way to feed a cat, but add to that it is kibble.

You can approach this in several different ways. You could throw out all kibble and insist on your cat eating only moist. You may wish to think about this method for the stress of your cat missing her kibble might complicate matters, and you don't want her sicker then she is right now. So, realistically that option is out for you. IF you think your cat could handle this change, only you would know, for you and only you know your cat best.

You could start mixing kibble in with some moist food and don't offer anything else to her. When she is hungry enough, she will eat. Slowly decrease the amount of kibble in the moist until you get to a point your cat will tolerate moist food only. Feed her specific meals, and don't leave the food out for more the one half an hour at a time. Ideally you want to feed her 3 times a day.

If your cat is seriously stubborn, you might have to resort to feeding her by hand. If this is the case, do so gently, slowly and lovingly. Get the hang of opening her mouth and inserting food into it way back towards her throat so that she won't spit it out. I hope this is not the way this will go for you, for this, too, depending on the cat, can be extremely stressful.

Some brands I would recommend are: Wellness CORE and Weruva. It is so difficult these days to find a company that concentrates on quality, and these two companies at least do try. No, neither are perfect, but I do still recommend them. My "star" choice is my raw food diet, but I don't think you are at that stage yet. Baby steps are what is needed, both for you and your cat.

The sooner you eliminate dry food from your cat's diet, the better your cat will feel and the less of a change she will have at getting ill again. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats