Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times

Advertisements

I came home tonight and when i opened the door he hissed at me 2x and when I went to pick him up and pet him he clawed my arm real bad.

I rescued him in Sept of 2010 he was put out by the owner who moved and I took him in . He is VERY spoiled very loved and normally the SWEETEST cat you can ever have. Everyone loves him. He is a Siamese boy not fixed since he is a house cat my arm and hand are still bleeding I am shaken. now he ran in to the bathroom and did number 2 in my bathtub. THis is all is so out of character almost like this is not my cat. i never hit him even when he is a lil bad. Fact he seldom is bad I raise my voice to him a bit when he is but never hit him. He has a better life then most humans and I am always buying him toys, treats you name it. No one is here to hurt him. PS I never owned a cat before and was wondering could it be because he wants to be with a female cat an he is mad at me? I don't know any help is much appreciated.

If anything I am not mad I am hurt and afraid to pick him up or go near him since i am afraid he may attack me again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
He needs to be neutered. There is probably an unspayed female in heat about, that has him all worked up. It's wonderful you rescued him, but please, get him neutered.

It's also possible that someone else in the house was teasing him, but I really think the main issue is, he needs to be neutered.

Take good care of those scratches.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 AM

know I think you are a MILLION PERCENT RIGHT...because there are 2 cats that live next door and our windows are very close. In the past he would yowel so loud i thought the other tenants would complain and this entire week he has been OLE YELLER and very loud. When I came home I saw the cat next door at her window. he was at the window and jumped down when I opened the door an hissed.

Anyone that comes here I am around and I would never allow anyone to tease or hurt him. so that one is out.

Going to get hi neutered and thank you. I was a bit scared of him and lil by little I got closer and picked him up. He just ate some wet and dry food and he is marking my leg.

I can't even be mad at him lol I new it was something and I am very sure he feels bad that mommy has a scratched arm and hand.

Again thank you xo

Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times
Yes, not being spayed or neutered can be very uncomfortable for a kitty. Once you have that done his hormones will even out and he will be much, much happier!

Edit: We posted at the same time - I see you're going to do it - good for you and him!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 AM

Thank you MrsRhythm... I reply posted about the same time you did and both of you Sound like you know your cats. I had no idea that he would be stressed out because he was not neutered.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I may not be as forgiving as catsmom21,
Cat hissing at me and scratching the heck out of my arm? Maybe thats why the first owner put the cat out.i'd give the cat 1 chance with the neutering thing,if it ever hissed and scratched my arm again it would be gone. I'd also keep the cat out of my bedroom at night in case it went a bit crazy on my face while i was sleeping..
I'll agree with taking care of those scratches as cat scratches can become infected..

Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I may not be as forgiving as catsmom21,
Cat hissing at me and scratching the heck out of my arm? Maybe thats why the first owner put the cat out.i'd give the cat 1 chance with the neutering thing,if it ever hissed and scratched my arm again it would be gone. I'd also keep the cat out of my bedroom at night in case it went a bit crazy on my face while i was sleeping..
I'll agree with taking care of those scratches as cat scratches can become infected..
I hope you don't have any pets. A cat who has never before shown such a strange behavior suddenly acting that way, it is obvious there is something bothering the cat.

You don't "get rid" of pets when they have problems, you find out what the problem is and work on fixing it.

Animals are not meant to be disposable objects, and people with your attitude is one of the reasons why the shelters and streets are filled with unwanted animals.

To the OP, I am glad you are open to having him neutered. It's clear you love and care about him very much. He will be a much happier cat. Maybe you can talk your neighbor into spaying their female sometime, too.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 AM

jambo101...........If your child hit you an yelled at you would you put them out. Pets are family

I never had a pet in my life and this is all new to me. He is such a nice cat.THIS NEVER HAPPENED before and I have to side with the posts that say he needs to be neutered. My sister and my vet did tell me to do this when I first got him but, i did not want to see him in pain. Same with his nails I will not declaw him.

He is acting very mushy and very quiet and just sitting and lying by me I am not upset with him. I can only imagine what he must be going through wanting to be with a female cat and not being allowed.... I am picking him up and a few times he let me know he wanted to be put down and was not agressive about it.

Once the vet opens I will make an appointment for him.

Catsmom- I am going tell the lady next door her cats are the ones who get him excited and they scream at each other back and forth

Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I'm surprised you haven't had more problems, like spraying all over the house, etc. It's possible he has some other medical condition, but yeah, unneutered male at this time of year could cause all sorts of behavioral issues I would think. (I can't say for certain because I've never dealt with it directly, but the others seem to agree.)

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Hi greg42.. I found him in Sept I live in Lake Tahoe, NV Is the summer a Horny time for cats??? LOL

Guess now I understand what it means when a guy CAT CALLS a gal..LOL

I am not sure if he as ever sprayed. One time I did catch him urine on the front door but I thought that was because i was cleaning / soaking his litter box I have 2 boxes now so when I am cleaning one there is another.

Someone just told me that Male cats yell or meow loud when they are looking or know a female is around.... This boy loves to SCREAM but, i thought that was because he was Siamese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats