Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

When we had the 3 cats we had 4 litter boxes scattered around our house. After it was obvious they were no longer using #4 box, we finally eliminated it. Then they stopped using #3 box so we eliminated that box (actually large totes from WalMart) also. They were happy using their 2 favorite boxes.

When Callie joined the family I added 2 more boxes, that was 4 cats and 4 boxes. But she, like the others, chose the same two boxes to use. Alas, we have 4 cats all using 2 large litterboxe totes. I guess it's time to remove the 2 they ignore. Fortunately, Zebulon no longer "litter box guards."

So now we have 4 cats and 2 large litter boxes. We only have 2 boxes in the RV due to space restrictions, and no one has had an accident.

Anyone else have this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Did I read you right? You have 4 cats in an RV? How challenging that must be!

I used to have 3 cats and 2 litter boxes, but when our older cat died, we want back to 2 cats and 1 litter box.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
My vet insists the rule is always 1 box per cat plus one. But having 4 boxes for my 3 cats does not help during a cold snap when they have no intention of walking across the cold basement floor to do their business. Then they head for the living-room floor and let go.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I've often heard the "amounts of cats = one box per cat plus one" I have 4 cats, two litter boxes...I sometimes foster kittens and then I'll put a 3rd litter box..I'd say if they get along well, you don't need to have that many boxes..I clean mine out in the AM and in the PM..I use fine sand that is really absorbant. I wash them out regularly. If I were unable to clean them frequently I may leave the 3rd one out but so far I don't see the need for it

Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Did I read you right? You have 4 cats in an RV? How challenging that must be!
Yes it is. By the time the 3 months are coming to an end they're starting to stress out. But we do have an outside cage at one window so they can go in and out at will. We also carry them out to a large Gander Mt screen room set up like a kitty playland. That helps ease everyone's stress. But one tore the screen (we fixed it) and two of them escaped this time.

Quote:
I used to have 3 cats and 2 litter boxes, but when our older cat died, we want back to 2 cats and 1 litter box.
As long as they're scooped often enough, the cats don't seem to need or want as many pans as we're told to use.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I've often heard the "amounts of cats = one box per cat plus one" I have 4 cats, two litter boxes...I sometimes foster kittens and then I'll put a 3rd litter box..I'd say if they get along well, you don't need to have that many boxes..I clean mine out in the AM and in the PM..I use fine sand that is really absorbant. I wash them out regularly. If I were unable to clean them frequently I may leave the 3rd one out but so far I don't see the need for it
I've been doing the boxes they're using several times a day as they fill faster. I do them when the cats are fed so they have clean scooped litter to use. They almost always head for the boxes within 20 minutes of eating.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Three cats, four boxes, all in the same place. Three are elevated on a platform I made for the purpose. One is never used, (it is under the platform) but it remains, in case someone ever wants to use it.

I scoop, on average, four or five times a day, sometimes more.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I have 8 or 9 boxes scattered throughout the house/screened porch (or maybe it's 10 or 11 -- I haven't counted in awhile!). The screened porch is closed for the winter so I guess it doesn't count!

My cats (I have 7) use all of them, some more than others. I have 2 in each of the two rooms I'm in the most, my home office & the TV/junk room. Those 4 get used the most since most of my kitties like to hang out with me. But I check the other boxes at least once a day and there's always a little waste in them too -- even the litter box in the back bedroom, which I'm almost never in.

I have 1 in the basement but the kitties are only down there when I'm there, which isn't too often, so that one rarely ges used. I always forget about it!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
When we had the 3 cats we had 4 litter boxes scattered around our house. After it was obvious they were no longer using #4 box, we finally eliminated it. Then they stopped using #3 box so we eliminated that box (actually large totes from WalMart) also. They were happy using their 2 favorite boxes.

When Callie joined the family I added 2 more boxes, that was 4 cats and 4 boxes. But she, like the others, chose the same two boxes to use. Alas, we have 4 cats all using 2 large litterboxe totes. I guess it's time to remove the 2 they ignore. Fortunately, Zebulon no longer "litter box guards."

So now we have 4 cats and 2 large litter boxes. We only have 2 boxes in the RV due to space restrictions, and no one has had an accident.

Anyone else have this situation?

I have 3 cats, and one litter box. I put the litter box in my bath tub. They love the privacy, the dog can't get at the box, and if there are any out of box incidents, it's cleaned up quickly. I clean the box twice per day, once when I get up, once in the evening, and there is no smell. All of my cats are spayed/neutered.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I have two boxes, set next to each other, for two cats. They're in the basement, under a table, where they can kick litter to their hearts' content and not make too much of a mess.

I do set a third box out if I'm going away for three or four days; if I'm going away overnight, I don't bother, and if I'm going away for longer, the cat sitter scoops daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats