Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:36 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

We got Allie, a beautiful long-haired female cat not quite three months ago. I've started a couple of threads about her since then. She'd been brought into my vet by a man who told them, "Put her down. She pees everywhere and I'm sick of her." One of the vet's receptionists got permission to rescue her, and -- because she already had seven cats -- needed to find her a new home. I'd had to put my 22-year-old cat down just a month earlier and my vet asked if I'd be interested in taking Allie into my home. She was said to be six years old, but that was, of course, based on what her previous owner told them and their best estimates.

Allie came to live with us and, although she was scared to death, and tried to run away the first night (escaping via the doggy door), she had come such a long ways in the past three months. For the last week or so, she'd been sleeping on my bed and coming to me to be petted. (At first, she didn't even want to be touched.) She was on an SO diet for crystals in her urine (which explained why she wasn't using her litter box in her previous home, and up until yesterday, had a really good appetite.

Yesterday, she suddenly stopped eating and drinking. She found a comfortable spot and laid there all day. I had an appointment with the vet for my kitten, Samantha, and decided that Allie needed to be seen more urgently than Samantha did, so I took her in instead. She was running a fever and the vet said she could tell she was really feeling lousy. She had also lost 2 pounds over the past three months. They did some blood tests, which showed nothing really out of the ordinary, and a urinalysis which showed an infection which they started treating with intravenous antibiotics, in addition to some intravenous fluids to re-hydrate her. I left her there overnight, hoping for some good news this morning.

Unfortunately, my vet called and said there's been little change. She was still running a fever and still appeared to be very sick. The next step was to do an x-ray (which they didn't charge me for, since I'd gotten the cat through their clinic). It showed a small nodule on her pancreas, which they're doing to try to treat with some steroids, but both of the vets who have been treating her (there are four in the clinic) feel almost certain that it's cancer. We'll wait until tomorrow to see if there's any improvement, but it's not looking good at all.

So why am I writing all of this? I just need to know that Allie has the ability to know that, regardless of how awful her life used to be, somebody loves her now. Can cats sense this? I'm pretty sure that she has come to realize that she is at least safe with me, because she has only been treated kindly since she has been here. But as to understanding that she is actually "loved" -- is this possible?

I've got to stop now. I'm crying, and the man who is in my house cleaning my carpets is really going to wonder what's wrong. I don't want to have to explain it to him.

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-15-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 11:47 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
You are not alone. My little girl also has cancer and it is growing fast over her skin. She seems to be happy but we can only take it day by day, soon it will be minute by minute. Someone in San Jose had dumped she and her brother behind the KFC when they were about six months old. We found a home for him but she was just too gentle a creature to let go of. I don't know whether they feel love the same we do but I suspect it might be more of I feel safe and comfortable with you.

What we must realize is that no matter how hard we try, their own dna, fate, will win every time. Life is a balance of knowing when to hold on and when to let go. Our little girl has been with us for ten years now and we have done everything possible to keep her safe and happy but sadly, she has take that final walk alone.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 PM

457 posts, read 497,511 times
I'm sorry that you're going through this. I believe that cats can sense "love" or whatever it means to them. I think she absolutely knows that she is "loved". You love on her and feed her and aren't abusive to her. There's no telling how horribly she had been treated by her previous owner so she may not really know what it means to be loved. She sleeps on your bed and lets you pet her, so she trusts you to take care of her. I was told it may take a couple of days for the steroids to start working when it was given to my cat with cancer. Even if she is terminal, maybe the steroids can give y'all more precious time together. Good luck to both of you.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:14 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times
of course she knows she's loved. That's why she's been on your bed and wanting to be petted. And that's why you'll do what's best for her.

(((hugs)))

Old 12-15-2017, 12:27 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Hugs to you & Allie, I am quite sure she knew she was, & is, loved, & was happy to find the right home for her final few months.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Thank you all so much. I really, really appreciate your kind words. I just wasn't planning on losing her so soon after I got her. I'm going in to the vet's just before closing tonight, and they're going to let me spend some time in the back with her. One thing I can say for sure is that my vet is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I'm sorry that you're going through this. I believe that cats can sense "love" or whatever it means to them. I think she absolutely knows that she is "loved". You love on her and feed her and aren't abusive to her. There's no telling how horribly she had been treated by her previous owner so she may not really know what it means to be loved. She sleeps on your bed and lets you pet her, so she trusts you to take care of her. I was told it may take a couple of days for the steroids to start working when it was given to my cat with cancer. Even if she is terminal, maybe the steroids can give y'all more precious time together. Good luck to both of you.
Thanks for the heads up about the steroids. My vet said that it would probably be evident by tomorrow whether they were working or not, so even if there's not a lot of improvement by then, I think I'll mention what you said to her.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
The steroids definitely give them a little more time. (((Katzpur & Allie)))

Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
She knows. Our pets don't have the words to tell us they understand, but words aren't everything. They are all about actions, and your actions have shown her every day that she is loved.

My heart goes out to you and Allie. I hope the vet can show you how to buy a bit more time to enjoy each other's company, but if not, you WILL be reunited one day.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
These threads never are good to see. I feel so bad hearing this and can only wish you strength in this time. Please hug and hold Allie as much as you can and comfort and console her as long as you can. I hope the vet can help allow you more time with her and please realize many folks here share your pain. May you find peace in this painful time.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I hope the vet can show you how to buy a bit more time to enjoy each other's company, but if not, you WILL be reunited one day.
I know that, and it does help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats