Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I understand how you feel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Annie. I joined CD when my cat Titi came down with diabetes and a wonderful person directed me to this web site www.YourDiabeticCat.com There is tons on info on this site that will come in handy for you and Annie. It is very possible for a cat with diabetes to go into remission with the proper diet. My Titi went into remission after 6 weeks. They call it off the juice(no more insulin shots). Please check out the web site...the members will help you every step of the way.

Good luck to you and Annie. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you. This link is an eye-opener. No more dry food for my 13 year old, Stella, and if the vet can save Annie, she won't be getting dry cat food, either. I'm sure the vet will recommend the right food for the kitties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM

The vet just called. Annie is doing well. She is feisty and making it clear she does not like the treatments but is eating and drinking. The glucose levels are coming down but so are the potassium levels and they are working to balance out the insulin level that will be best for her. The vet is pleased and so am I.

I've sure learned a lot about the proper food for cats over the last 24 hours. There will definately be some changes made around here when it comes to diet for Annie and Stella.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:32 AM

605 posts, read 2,990,334 times
Great news! I know you'll be able to manage it!

I've changed my cats' diet after losing my 14 year old Abby to kidney problems. She refused canned so I let her eat dry. She only had 1 functioning kidney (I didn't know that until after an ultrasound after she took ill, which was too late for her) and I believe chronic dehydration from only dry led to her early death.

Also take a look at: Feline Diabetes

Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,596 times
I'm glad to hear you kitty is doing well. I know EXACTLY what you are going though with a diabetic cat. I just did the whole take the cat to the vet and put him in ICU for three days back in August. I have no idea how old Jensen is - but the best guess is well over ten. He came into my life as a stray........

Keep us posted and if ya have any diabetic cat questions just ask me!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,039,432 times
I'm so glad Annie is doing better! I switched all my cats to the approved wet foods except for Sammy. He's still a hold out so I give him Wellness Core dry which is grain, gluten free. I guess there's always one problem child in the bunch!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,732 times
What you post is sadly very common. More cats die from diet then probably all other sources combined. I'm assuming they were on dry food, or regular cat food such as you get in a supermarket. Cats on dry/regular foods almost always die of health issues like this before they reach true old age.

A cat "can" live to be over 30, but this is rare.

The Liver issues you speak of stem from eating cheap grain based carbs.. most cat food is 50 to 70% carbs- from a source and quality cats simply cannot process, Like you eating wood pulp, lol. (only turmites can eat this) Being/becoming diebetic is also due to the grains and dry food.

cats ideal diet contains 7% or less carbs.

Also moisture is an issue, few cats drink enough water and the older they get the more vital it is and the less they drink., in nature cats get most of the water from food, (75% on average) the dry food we give always is around 10%.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
What you post is sadly very common. More cats die from diet then probably all other sources combined. I'm assuming they were on dry food, or regular cat food such as you get in a supermarket. Cats on dry/regular foods almost always die of health issues like this before they reach true old age.

A cat "can" live to be over 30, but this is rare.

The Liver issues you speak of stem from eating cheap grain based carbs.. most cat food is 50 to 70% carbs- from a source and quality cats simply cannot process, Like you eating wood pulp, lol. (only turmites can eat this) Being/becoming diebetic is also due to the grains and dry food.

cats ideal diet contains 7% or less carbs.

Also moisture is an issue, few cats drink enough water and the older they get the more vital it is and the less they drink., in nature cats get most of the water from food, (75% on average) the dry food we give always is around 10%.

I asked the doc about my 13 year old cat, Stella. I have changed her diet, too. Senior wet for Ms. Stella from now on. She thinks it's wonderful. She loves the wet food and this way she will get liquids, too.

The thing I have to figure out now is how to keep each of them away from the other one's food. That will be fun.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 PM

Thanks to everyone. You folks have helped me deal with this crisis and words cannot express how much I appreciate it.

I visited Annie today. She still has bandages and tubes all over her (a slight exaggeration) but she is bright eyed and was so glad to see me.

I have learned so much about cat diets during the last 3 days. I have a notebook now filled with the notes I've taken.

The vet told me today that Annie is so upset being at the vet's that her gluclose levels are spiking. Well, I have type II diabetes and I can completely identify with that. My sugar levels have been all over the map these last few days. It's the stress. She is getting the proper food now and the doc told me today that after I take her home tomorrow it would probably be best for me to take her glucose readings myself rather than bringing her into the vet's because Annie gets so upset there. I prick my hands so I can sure prick her ear. Then I will call in the readings to the vet so she can keep an eye on it.

I'll report back tomorrow after I get her home. I know that both of us will feel much better when she is snuggled up on my bed.

It has really been wonderful having y'all to communicate with. I was feeling so alone. Your help and caring manner have been wonderful.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM

698 posts, read 2,842,379 times
You're among friends.

*hugs*

Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,732 times
Keep in mind most vets are not a suitable source for diet information in many cases. They treat diseases and health issues as they crop up but diet is very limited to a few major pet food companies that want money,money money.

For us humans its different because we are a higher form of life in this society, our doctors and diettritions would simply be locked up if they pushed the kinds of food and did to their human patients the way dogs and cats are treated/fed everyday.

Further more being anthromorpic with dogs and cats is deadly when it comes to diet and behavior because dogs and cats evolved from totally different creatures with totally different needs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats