Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

I adopted Annie and Molly at the same time from the grown son of a friend. He was getting married and his girl friend was allergic to cats. Annie was 3 and Molly was 2. That was 4 years ago. I had dogs all my life and had never owned a cat. But, I couldn't stand the thought of these girls not having a home. So, I took them both and they have brought me such joy.

Gee, I can hardly type this. I am so sad. I've read so many of your posts in this forum and cried with you when you lost a pet. I'm crying even harder now.

Molly had to be PTS in August. Right before she became sick (like the week before) I volunteered to adopt Stella....the 13 year old cat of one of my friends. She was moving across country and did not think that Stella could make the trip. Molly died of liver failure. Totally unexpected. Three days later Stella moved in with Annie and me.

Molly was jet black and looked like a little panther. She was so gentle and loving. I miss her so much.

Annie is a Ragdoll. She is black and white and very, very smart. I love her to death.

Stella is a Maine Coon mix and is a very lively 13 year old.

Today I took Annie to the vet because she had been drinking huge amounts of water over the last few days and peeing a lot (in her litter box). I just got home.....without her. The vet found that she has severe diabetes and they are going to try to save her. If I had waited even 2 more days she would probably have died. There were no signs except for a few days of excessive water drinking.

Now, she will be in the ICU at the vet's for 3 days. They have to check her blood/ketones every hour. She is not in pain. I can visit any time I want to....24/7.

I guess I just need to tell this in order to ease my heart. I thank God for Stella. If I had had to come home to an empty house, it would have been just horrible.

Annie is my baby. It took me a few days to win her over when I first adopted her but after that she stuck to me like glue. I feel like I'm missing an arm or a leg without her.

I know that all of you understand this. Thanks so much for "listening" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I had a diabetic cat for several years before he finally died of old age (maybe 15?). It's no trouble to give them insulin shots (I am also diabetic). The needles are so fine that neither people nor pets feel them. Sorry your baby is sick and hope they make her all better. Hugs...

Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I can only offer some ((hugs)) and if you would like to "talk" feel fee to PM me. I am terribly sorry for the pain you are going through. It's like losing alittle bit of your heart. I know...I've been there as well.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
Ketabcha--our fur babies & I are sending you prayers. I know having a sick one breaks our hearts but even through all these sad stories I read, I always think how lucky these cats are to have such wonderful and caring people to care for them. You opened you home and your heart to them, how lucky they are to have you. I love people like you and wish I could give you a big hug.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
I understand how you feel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Annie. I joined CD when my cat Titi came down with diabetes and a wonderful person directed me to this web site www.YourDiabeticCat.com There is tons on info on this site that will come in handy for you and Annie. It is very possible for a cat with diabetes to go into remission with the proper diet. My Titi went into remission after 6 weeks. They call it off the juice(no more insulin shots). Please check out the web site...the members will help you every step of the way.

Good luck to you and Annie. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Thank you all very much. I just needed to vent the emotions. I'm more under control now. : )

Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
{{{Ketabcha}}}

I'm so sorry to hear about Molly. I had a diabetic dog and giving insulin was no big deal. It was worse for me, I think, than it was for him. Getting him regulated was a little hard, but I quickly picked up on how he was feeling by how he ate and of course, testing at the vet's. And like Ouijeewoman points out, there are some excellent resources out there online. I also believe diet plays a huge part in how controllable it can be.

Good luck, and keep us posted to Annie's progress!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I'm sure that she'll be ok.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
My furbabies and I send you love, prayers, and hugs!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
BTW, my DD had a diabetic cat and she switched his food after reading something on the 'net and he got off insulin and lived a longlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats