Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times

Advertisements

Maggie: Did your cat suffer with the tumor, or did you put him down when you found out? It definitely sounds like it might be that. Am wondering if this will make him listless, unhappy, miserable or what for the future. As much as I love my animals, I don't want them to suffer. I think I WILL ask the vet to try the x ray, and maybe just sedate him. She said they can't hold them down with their hands, cause its not healthy. I didn't think about sedating him so he will lay still. Right now he is sitting next to me, washing his paw and looking at me, like "please help me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 08:24 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
I would guess kind of what you already said, and that it is an infection from the teeth being pulled and you need a different medication. It is possible it is an infection in the salivary gland on that side?

Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Maggie: Did your cat suffer with the tumor, or did you put him down when you found out? It definitely sounds like it might be that. Am wondering if this will make him listless, unhappy, miserable or what for the future. As much as I love my animals, I don't want them to suffer. I think I WILL ask the vet to try the x ray, and maybe just sedate him. She said they can't hold them down with their hands, cause its not healthy. I didn't think about sedating him so he will lay still. Right now he is sitting next to me, washing his paw and looking at me, like "please help me."
She had been listless, barely eating anything, and just generally unresponsive for a while. When I took her in the vet said that there would be no possible treatment for her.

If your kitty is still active, eating, and engaged then I would just let nature run it's course until he starts declining. Keep a close eye on him, though. See what the xray shows and go from there.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
Maggie 2101 and all - my 18+ year old has had stinky breathe as well and thought it was a bad tooth, absess etc. It turns out she has a tumor in her cheek. At her age, she seems comfortable but I know my time is limited and hurts like hell for me. I just put her sister down in Dec. On top of it she has thyroid and kidney probs. I told the vet yesterday, forgetting the kidney and giving her whatever she wants to eat. I know my time is only a few weeks if the tumor grows. I've been crying for the past day - best damn cat ever! Good luck everyone.....animals are also our kids.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My 15 year old red tabby had very bad breath so he went to the vet and had 3 teeth pulled. He came home and was fine. Then, he started drooling, his cheek is puffed out like its swollen, and his little tongue keeps sticking out all the time. He is only puffy on the side where the teeth were pulled.

The vet put him on antibiotics, but it hasn't helped. He is eating, drinking and seems to still enjoy his life but the vet does not know what is wrong and seems to think it might be a tumor. She flushed out the back of his mouth and says we would need to do x rays, biopsy, etc etc. to further diagnose it. I feel so bad for him, cause his bib area is always wet.

Has anyone had anything like this, and if so, what did you do?
I would do the Sovereign silver using the childs dosage and see if that helps. It certainly can't hurt. If it is an infection it might just do the trick. You need to give it 3 or 4 times a day or as often as you can and give 2 x the child/infant dose for a therapeutic dose. It tastes like water so it is not hard to give. Just put dropperfuls in your cat's cheek.

You'd think x-rays would have already been done before the teeth were extracted. I wouldn't pay for more xrays or do more invasive biopsies yet. It seems logical that it is just trauma from the surgery. What about just doing some blood work if you don't see improvement in 3-4 days?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Thank you everyone for all your good wishes. Unfortunately the xrays today show a MASSIVE tumor which has gone into the bone, the nasal cavity, and the upper mouth. His bone on that side is gone. He is now sneezing blood, having trouble breathing and while he is eating, he doesn't want to do anything except sleep. Last night I put him in my bed, he curled up on top of my head and then after a while, he migrated to my side, where he laid against me all night long. I can't tell you how much I will miss this cat. He has been a lover all his life with not a bad bone in his body. Of course I am crying now, because I know what I have to do. The vet gave me strong pain meds so he can be comfortable for awhile but the end is in sight. I wish I didn't have to go through this....

Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,128 times
I'm so sorry for your bad news. It's one that we never want to go through, but always seem to. Love him all you can until that time comes.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Oh, I'm so sorry about that. Just keep him close to you and tell him you love him every chance you get. ((HUGS))

Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
PhxBarb: I am so very sorry to read about your cat, but you must know you are doing the right thing by ending his misery. It never gets any easier, no matter how many times you have to have a cat PTS. Post in the Rainbow Bridge subforum after it happens and people will try to console you, just as they are doing here.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,771 times
PhxBarb, my thoughts are with you. (HUGS) No, it doesn't get any easier, yet that last act of love is probably the most difficult. If I were you, I would make sure my cat has all his favorite toys around him, his favorite blankie, and his favorite foods to eat. Make sure he is pain-free, and with this time, you tell him everything that is in your heart. Cry. Hold him. Love him. Snuggle with him. Smell him. Stroke him. Hug him. Kiss him again and again. Spend as much time with him as you can. And talk to him, spilling all your feelings for him. And you make sure you tell him you and he are together forever!

I know what I am about to say next is extremely difficult for anyone to do, but when it is time to PTS, carry him in to the vet's office in his favorite blankie, (have someone else drive so that you can hold him in your arms on the way to the vet) with his most favorite toy, and hold him in your arms so that he can both see you and hear your heartbeat. If you can, sing to him or keep saying he is safe, he is loved, and that you and he will see each other again soon. Allow him to pass in your arms, holding him tightly to you. You won't regret doing this. Difficult yes. Yet, when we love, that love is capable of giving us the strength to do things we normally don't think we could do otherwise.

Peace. And blessings. May angels hold you up and comfort you, when you no longer think you can stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats