Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,033,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
As a life long resident of New Orleans, I'm torn on how I feel about the north east. A lot of insensitive and ignorant commmentary from folks who thought they would never see a hurricane like Katrina or Rita. Good luck to them all if this thing is even stil category 1 when it hits the north east.

And thanks so much for the updates! Not even power outages or flood waters in Mt.P/Sullivan's?
I know what you mean. I lived in New Orleans once upon a time when I went to Tulane. Makes you feel a bit like just due but at the same time you don't want to wish something like Katrina on anyone else, ever!

Only thing that is really annoying me with this storm is the coverage is SO centric about the Northeast and the possible impacts and the news seem to have largely ignored the Southern states (like NC) that are being impacted by this hurricane. I heard all of our Southern states literally referred to as "other states" several times. Good thing to know we all live in an "other state".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 AM

222 posts, read 404,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I know what you mean. I lived in New Orleans once upon a time when I went to Tulane. Makes you feel a bit like just due but at the same time you don't want to wish something like Katrina on anyone else, ever!

Only thing that is really annoying me with this storm is the coverage is SO centric about the Northeast and the possible impacts and the news seem to have largely ignored the Southern states (like NC) that are being impacted by this hurricane. I heard all of our Southern states literally referred to as "other states" several times. Good thing to know we all live in an "other state".
Are you really surprised with that mentality in such a "me-centric" world? Nothing else is of.value until it directly impacts "ME!"

Lol, I'm just glad you guys are ok. Prayin' for outer banks.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
It's been all NC this morning.....it's all about numbers though. How many people in NC -- how many people in NYC.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Charleston County is a BIG county and includes many communities -- including Isle of Palm, Folly Beach, etc....Some kids are bussed in from North Charleston -- if they had to close the bridges because of wind, kidswould be stranded.....Sure sure -- looks like we dodged a bullet but if it was different folks would be absolutely furious with the school board.
I agree. I wasn't annoyed at all at the school closures, only the idea of the Wednesday before Thanksgiving as the make up day. Hopefully they will be able to skip it like they did last year.

Regarding the newscasters, I heard one weather reporter scornfully describe the silly people taping up their windows, and it really sounded like she was making fun of them. I really wanted to climb through my TV set. How about educating instead of mocking?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
The new thing is that taping does nothing...but make a mes......that's probably why. Florida folks no not to tape (so I've been told by Florida folks)....Plywood -- or naught.....

Reporters should just report right -- yeah right!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

817 posts, read 2,005,224 times
As far as I can figure out.... since the previous owners took their generator after agreeing to leave it for us... oh well

I have a seperate extension plug-in in the garage, large circular head with the 4 prongs going in a circle, heavy duty I can say, for the generator.

In the laundry room, there is a seperate fuse box for the generator, frig, master bedroom/bathroom and an extra room.

Instructions they did leave for the generator they took says... shut off MAIN power fuse in the box, shut off all fuses/breakers except the ones that the generator will work through as in fridge,mbr etc about 5 and then turn on the secondary fuse box just for the generator.

No potential upload of any juice down the line, out of my house right OTC ?

Let me know ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Does it have a transfer switch that disconnects the incoming power so that you do not back feed the main system....

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,000,662 times
This was a good practice drill for all in the Charleston area. The Cape Verde season is now rolling, the further South they start, the more likelihood they stay together.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
If you open the main breaker before you start the generator you should be ok.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,961,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The new thing is that taping does nothing...but make a mes......that's probably why. Florida folks no not to tape (so I've been told by Florida folks)....Plywood -- or naught.....

Reporters should just report right -- yeah right!

I did not tape or board my windows for Hugo Cat 4 and I did not have a broken window even when the tree fell on the house, LOL. So I don't worry about taping.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:22 PM

817 posts, read 2,005,224 times
Yuppers............. open the main breaker in the main box FIRST.

Will shut off all subsequent breakers on the panel as well... as instructed.
Will leave on the ones marked accordingly...
Fridge, mbr, mbathroom, another room

I will test this when I get back from NYC... leaving Tuesday for another trip to NYC to work. Cannot wait to see what the place looks like... friends said just plenty of wind and some branches, they got lucky.
Might try the 207, 304, 3, 97 or what ever the numbers are.... it is on the way back and let you know OTC. Just lousy finishing up with the traffic lights, but oh well. Liked it the other way

Will see what household outlets will be available when I hook a generator up... figuring to get a 4500 watt generator, though everytime I filled out on-line what I need it says about 3500... better to go bigger a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
If you open the main breaker before you start the generator you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area