Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times

Advertisements

Honestly, if I had to I would sneak my pets into a hotel rather than leave them behind, and then hang the Do Not Disturb sign. Wost thing they can do is kick you out, right? Because my dogs are so large we have to plan ahead, since it's hard to sneak a horse.
Red Roof Inns, La Quinta, Motel 6 are just a few of the chains that accept Great Dane size dogs, and this is in non-emergency situations. You can also try DogFriendly.com® - Pet Travel Guides and City Guides for Dog/Pet Owners or even VRBO to find a place for you and your animals. FYI, shelters request that you arrive with one gallon for every 10 pounds of your dogs weight, so keep that in mind. We have boxes of empty plastic gallon bottles from sweet tea, etc. that we will start filling in a few days if this storm doesn't keep turning away.
We are east of highway 17, so we plan on leaving even if Irene drops to a cat. 1, if she does track back towards Charleston. My husband has been itching to see the interior anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM

32 posts, read 57,883 times
We used this when we moved cross country, but it's helpful now... For those of us with horses and/or large animals who are concerned about evacuating, there is a website called horsemotels.com: The Leading Horse Motel Site on the Net
It shows boarding facilities that also double as hurricane shelters nearby.

Just in case there is anyone else on here with horses.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Latest Update, looking less likely as time goes on that we will little more than some wind and rain.....
Attached Thumbnails
Tropical Storm Irene-irene82311.jpg  

Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Latest Update, looking less likely as time goes on that we will little more than some wind and rain.....
Always enjoy the input OTC... beats lookin' elsewhere.. you are on top of many things, thanks

Our first hurricaine 'threat' since moving here.... basically stocked up on bottled water already have tuna and peanut butter and bread.

Will look to get a hand cranked radio/light when I get a chance. Always good to have.

I was in the blackout in NYC back in 2002 I think was the year.. I dunno... cellphones, plug in radios did not work etc. Very few had the old corded phone (which I have now 'in case') so the hand cranked radio would have been great. In NJ, where I was, power was re-established in a few hours. In NYC took days.. shame

Old 08-23-2011, 12:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
The evacuations for North Carolina have been ordered.

UPDATE: Ocracoke Island Issues Evacuation Order for Hurricane Irene | WSPA

Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
They are saying even if we don't have a direct hit -- they feel this storm is getting stronger and will be very powerful. They also don't know if it will turn or not. Walmart on 17 near Park West -- just about out of water at 10:30 am this morning....I need wine and beer and then I will be good!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Checking NOAA website every 3 hrs, when they update...last at 5pm, still turning east with the lower cone border at the GA line, as someone mentioned. Poor NC outer banks....my home state barrier islands are lovely but so eroded now...

I typed in "pet-friendly hotels" and got multiple listings with their policies and fees...Clarion in Savannah allows 4 cats so I won't have to sneak anyone in......Now I have reservations in both Columbia/Savannah...... will cancel one or both as new projections by NOAA indicate landfall pt.

This stuff is stressful ...lol, at least for the first time and with so many pets to worry over...imagine having horses to evacuate!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The evacuations for North Carolina have been ordered.

UPDATE: Ocracoke Island Issues Evacuation Order for Hurricane Irene | WSPA
Ocracoke always gets very early evacs. Since it is a water-locked island with ferries as the only means of travel off the island they take every storm seriously. You can't really judge what a storm is going to do by an Ocracoke evacutation...they take zero chances there.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
During Hugo, I was living in Winston-Salem NC, further north and west than Charlotte...even we had very heavy rains, many lg downed trees etc and loss of power for a week....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Dodging the bullet for too long? Ever hear of Hurricane Hugo?

Hurricane Hugo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Cat 5 hurricane with a direct hit to McClellanville. It hit Charlotte, North Carolina 200 miles inland and was STILL a category one hurricane.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
I've been through way too many hurricane from back when I lived in the Outer Banks. Do yourself a favor. Get a good generator and a small window A/C unit. You won't regret it. We have used ours several times in the past and it makes an enormous difference in getting through a hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area