Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM

32 posts, read 57,922 times

Advertisements

Hubby just went to buy bottled water at Sam's (we are on a well and don't drink our sulfur-ey tap water) and he said they are completely out of water already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
I think it is too soon to tell if we will get hit by Irene. We will know much more Wednesday. It could miss us altogether and go to sea or the Outter Banks.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,880,031 times
At lunchtime, Dollar Store & Family Dollar had plenty of $1 gallons..sealed/expiration date 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerburn View Post
Hubby just went to buy bottled water at Sam's (we are on a well and don't drink our sulfur-ey tap water) and he said they are completely out of water already.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 PM

313 posts, read 709,554 times
Most recent map:

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,183,445 times
xine, those were some great tips, thank-you. Some I've already done. My plan was to get more food/water within the next couple of days. Even if we don't need it for this storm, I've been meaning to start building up a stash for hurricanes/power outages. I even had to buy some candles, as ours are packed away somewhere...probably with some of our flashlights (that I also had to buy)....

I've checked out some evacuation centers and one is a 5 minute walk from my house and another a 5 minute drive. Does Goose Creek ever evacuate? I've heard Summerville tends to be the location immediate coast evacuates to. Is Goose Creek another place they evacuate to?

This should be interesting.....

Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,880,031 times
This is my first summer here, so watching NOAA and listening to you, the pros. Have now bought the necessities & have insurance....but I have concern about my pets...4 cats.

I can load up on their food and bottled water but if evacuation is needed...woe is me! No way will they stay behind.... so I have a list of hotels that allow pets further inland, but costly too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I have a bunch of that (we'd lose power in the NW for a while) + water. I'm just thinking about regular stuff I need to pick up or the week, and the cat needs food. Come to think of it, beer supplies are a bit low at the moment...

Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,001,015 times
And there's the turn! Myrtle Beach/Wilmington now in the cross fire.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0911W5_NL+gif/205112W5_NL_sm.gif (broken link)

Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Yep that is the way the usually go....

Old 08-22-2011, 04:57 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,820 times
I was going to say... The pic I posted, as well as the one right above, in my experience has been the source to use. Its the NOAA... not an "independant" news station, that gets everyone to watch their news intently.

But as said, as of less then 24 hours ago, I was talking to my parents in Ft. lauderdale, FL and they were afraid it was going to hit them. They would have gotten hit 2 full days before we did, and look how much it turned.

I won't freak out...

On the flip side... granola bars, and gatorade was on sale at food lion, so I bought a bit more then I usually do. I picked up a couple flats of water $3.50 a flat, god bless generic brand water. Once again, it was on sale.

Just a suggestion I like when water gets low. Buy 2 liters of cheap soda, pour it out, fill them with water, squeeze them hard(they will expand) and freeze them. Do a couple, a dozen or so. When power is lost, keep them in your fridge and freezer. Taa daa.... you have a 1950s style Icebox, as the water melts, you have nice Ice cold, thawed from ice water, which trust me after a few days of no AC, is great.

Also no leaking icebags... Grocery stores out here are fine. I do need to do a check and update on batteries, I haven't bought any in years.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,200,560 times
"[QUOTE=greatblueheron;.but I have concern about my pets...4 cats.
I can load up on their food and bottled water but if evacuation is needed...woe is me! No way will they stay behind.... so I have a list of hotels that allow pets further inland, but costly too...."

Many hotels who do allow pets will not let you have 4 cats in one room. However, I've heard of people "sneaking" them in (since cats tend to hide when the maid comes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area