Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM

160 posts, read 311,745 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Columbia so I am used to watching them head toward us and move out to sea. I am curious as to the precautions to take since we live in Summerville. I am guessing that we need to be prepared for loss of power, wind damage, tree limbs/trees down and possible tornadoes. We have lots of pine trees in our yard that we hate but since we rent we are stuck with them. Does anyone remember Summerville ever being evacuated? Just curious. I am 7 months pregnant and 24 hours sitting in a car on I-26 sounds like a nightmare to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Yikes... 22 hour drive to Brevard? My inlaws have a vacation place in cashiers.... That is our evacuate place if its bad. I was considering sending the wife and kid, just to avoid the days with no power. I kind of hoped it wouldn't be that bad. Where was the hold up? I26

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
The problem was the I-26 nightmare. I am a teacher and we had to report to our schools to help secure/cover expensive items (taping plastic bags around computers, TV's, etc. is pretty useless, in my opinion - ha), so I couldn't evacuate until I was finished there. It was still before the mandatory evacuation, but when we got on the road, we were joining people from FL as well as SC - all headed north on 3 lanes! Try 4 hours just to get to Summerville!? Once we arrived in Brevard, it was quite an adventure because we ran into all kinds of people from Charleston. I got home 2 days later to not even a branch down in my yard!! I was lucky and glad, but upset with myself for not just staying home!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,820 times
If you have to evacuate... Never leave your let's behind.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device. Believe there were shelters in FL that allowed pets.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM

547 posts, read 1,197,277 times
9 of the 10 computer models now have it moving farther East and making landfall around Wilmington. It will be nothing more than a very wet weekend here. The waves at the beach will be amazing on Thursday...

Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,996 times
Sorry Folks.. started the thread and can't figure out how to edit the title to Hurricane Irene. So today it looks that the core should pass just to our east on Saturday but still with 4 days out we can't let our guard down. Any west wobbles that happen over the next few days will have an exponiential affect further up the coast.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Even with the eye off shore we can still get tropical storm or even huricane force winds along our coast and slightly lesser inland....

Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,122,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Question for the seasoned hurricane folks...

from the map, it looks like my place is in the evac zone even for a cat 1 storm....question is: does that mean evac needed if it is a direct hit on the area or just close by?

How is mandatory evac decided?? (other than a direct hit expectation of course)

Thanks for any info~
A mandatory evacuation is decided by the govenor for people in a certain area. Unless you are very near the beach or are in the direct path, you will not get evacuated.

In a mandatory evacuation, emergency services are basically suspended because it will endanger employees.

Along with the above information, fill your tubs up so you can flush your toliet if you lose power.

Also, find an old fashioned rotary phone. Your cell phone will die and new phones are all electric.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by See228 View Post
I moved to the MS Coast after Katrina, and saw the horrible damage, and the scars that remain to this day. Its as if God took his hand and swiped the coast line clean. All of my relatives lost their beachfront homes, and even the ones inland 5 miles had to rebuild. I WOULD ADVISE ALL SOUTH CAROLINIAN'S TO TAKE THIS VERY SERIOUSLY, AND IF/WHEN THEY SAY TO EVACUATE...DO SO... IMMEDIATELY! AND FOR GODS SAKE...DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PETS BEHIND!! I know its still early in the forecast, but my gut instinct tells me SC has been dodging the bullet for too long, and I think Irene has SC written all over her! I pray to god I'm wrong...I would hate to see one of America's most beautiful coastlines ruined in anyway.
Dodging the bullet for too long? Ever hear of Hurricane Hugo?

Hurricane Hugo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Cat 5 hurricane with a direct hit to McClellanville. It hit Charlotte, North Carolina 200 miles inland and was STILL a category one hurricane.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcat View Post
I grew up in Columbia so I am used to watching them head toward us and move out to sea. I am curious as to the precautions to take since we live in Summerville. I am guessing that we need to be prepared for loss of power, wind damage, tree limbs/trees down and possible tornadoes. We have lots of pine trees in our yard that we hate but since we rent we are stuck with them. Does anyone remember Summerville ever being evacuated? Just curious. I am 7 months pregnant and 24 hours sitting in a car on I-26 sounds like a nightmare to me.
You will not be evacuated anywhere.

The problem on I-26 was with Floyd and the fact that it was the largest US evacuation ever with over 5 million people in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina evacuating.

We waited until 10PM when everyone else was off the road to leave and saw very little traffic.

The hotels suspend their 'no pet' restrictions and fees.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:41 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
This is the scariest part of the entire Hugo story:

An extraordinary 20 ft (6.1 m) storm surge was reported between Cape Romain and Bulls Bay

After becoming extratropical, the remnants of Hugo entered Canada into the province of Ontario. In the Niagara Falls area, winds between 37 and 43 mph (60 and 70 km/h) were reported. Winds near 47 mph (75 km/h) were also reported in Toronto. Heavy rainfall also occurred in Ontario, with precipitation in Ontario peaking at 4.5 in (110 mm), while a maximum amount of 1.85 in (47 mm) was reported in Toronto. As a result of the storm, blackouts and car accidents were reported in Toronto.Furthermore, heavy rains and high winds also occurred across the southern portions of Ontario.[20]
The remnants of Hugo tracked northeastward and entered the Canadian province of Quebec. In Montreal, rainfall reached only 0.43 in (11 mm), while precipitation amounts in the province peaked at 3.73 in (95 mm). In addition to light rain, high winds were reported in the province. Winds in Montreal gusted up to 59 mph (95 km/h), leaving 13,400 homes without electricity. 7,400 residence in Verdun and West Island also lost electricity when tree fell on power lines; it was restored about 12 hours later. While in Brossard and Chambly power was lost to 5,000 homes and 1,000 homes in Valleyfield. In addition, high winds and heavy rainfall also occurred in the St. Lawrence River Valley.[20]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area