Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,880,031 times

Advertisements

good idea...but do you have to "know" anything about them to use them ?? lol I don't even know how they are powered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I've been through way too many hurricane from back when I lived in the Outer Banks. Do yourself a favor. Get a good generator and a small window A/C unit. You won't regret it. We have used ours several times in the past and it makes an enormous difference in getting through a hurricane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,820 times
GenerTors are great.... But buying, storing and maintaining a few hundred dollar generator vs. Dealing with no power for a week.

Fun thing about huricanes when charley hit punta gorda in southwest florida, it lost power and actually built strenght up over the FL everglades.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
good idea...but do you have to "know" anything about them to use them ?? lol I don't even know how they are powered...
I am not mechanically inclined and even I could use them. We just have the gas powered kind vice the whole house type. Even though it costs a few hundred dollars, we've had ours for years and years. Takes up a small bit of garage floor space but the comfort it brings when you're dealing with that post-hurricane humidity and heat has been invaluable. We don't get as many storms here as we did in the Outer Banks so I don't use it that much but I sure do love having it when we do need it.

I once went without power for nine weeks (after Fran in NC) because the sub-station was completely destroyed. Never want to go through that again!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Latest Update, looking less likely as time goes on that we will little more than some wind and rain.....
That is what I was thinking. Now it looks like it may edge into North Myrtle Beach but it looks like we are out of the path. However they say it will strengthen .

Here's what accuweather.com says about how Irene compares to Hugo.

Hurricane Hugo in 1989
Hugo is another disastrous hurricane that took a path through the Leeward Islands, grazed Puerto Rico and ultimately made landfall in the Carolinas.
The hurricane struck Isle of Palms, S.C., as a powerful Category 4 storm with winds of 140 mph. Hugo claimed 27 lives in South Carolina, left nearly 100,000 people homeless and caused $10 billion in damage.
Hugo's landfall point was south of where Irene is expected to blast onshore. Hugo also tracked well inland over the U.S., whereas Irene is predicted to stay closer to the coast of the mid-Atlantic and Northeast after landfall.

This is pretty cool. You can type in your address and it gives you the chances of changes in wind speeds over the next 5 days at your location http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker

So far it says there is just a 5% chance of winds reaching 58 miles an hour in the next 96 hours and zero chance that it will be any worse.

Last edited by emilybh; 08-23-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,122,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See228 View Post
22 years seems like a long interval to me... So long in fact, I forgot how bad Hugo really was.

I haven't forgotten how bad Hugo was and I never will because I lived through it. My home had another house land on top of it.

Just because we didn't have a hurricane last year doesn't mean we've dodged a bullit.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times
At least we aren't in the high threat level zone anymore according to the weather channel. That has evidently been limited to NC.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,001,015 times
No worries with Irene, focusing further out in the Atlantic where another one is brewing. Jose will be the next named storm, looks like in another day or so. Its that time of the year

Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,800,658 times
Oh no, what will I ever do with all the beer I bought?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Oh no, what will I ever do with all the beer I bought?
Have a party and celebrate.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Party at Steve's house this Saturday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area