Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 06:22 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 10 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 4,746,505 times

Advertisements

Yuv83, give it a two days to determine damage, then ask again. A lot of water on the peninsula, but nothing that can't be, or hasn't been previously, dealt with. I think Charleston will be back open for business by Friday, at the latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 07:10 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,622,755 times
Yes, I think that by the 17th it will be back to normal for 99% of Charleston. Not everyone was unscathed though. I saw one house entirely flipped on it side.

Attached Thumbnails
Hurricane Mathew-damage.jpg  

Old 10-09-2016, 08:37 AM

269 posts, read 284,314 times
I just hope they get power back on around Ladson area soon.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,990,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuv83 View Post
Hey all,

I apologize in advance that my question is very self-centered and selfish. I truly hope and pray that everyone affected from the hurricane is now safe and dry.

Now to the rude question - my wife and I have a SE road trip that we've been planning for months. We are landing in Washington DC tomorrow and after a week in the NC Mountains we're suppose to reach our downtown Charleston hotel on the 17th.
We've been monitoring the news and weather report as much as possible, but we can't really tell what the damage to the area is now after the Matthew has moved on. Do you think we should change our route and let the Charlestonians deal with the aftermath in peace?

Again, this should be the least of anyone's concern as you guys deal with a historically catastrophic storm. Truly hope everyone is well!

Thanks
Charleston's idea of dealing with aftermath is getting tourist back ASAP. Downtown flooding is a normal thing around here. Weather channels love it because it makes for dramatic footage.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:35 PM

3,595 posts, read 4,374,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Does anyone have a status on Comcast outages? Who's not got cable in Mt P?
We have internet. It stayed on as long as we had power. Don't know about cable as we use Directv. Normally not much on Sunday anyway, but today SC and GA play.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:59 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,240,388 times
The college will probably start back Wednesday, Thursday at latest. K-12 might start sooner since they do not have to account for housing.

Some of the downtown restaurants were opening as the day went on. The close in part of West Ashley and Northbridge look torn up but I didn't see much real damage except what was caused by limbs. I know Avondale had some minor flooding and would assume Byrnes Down did as well. In Mt P the areas off Mathis Ferry looked pretty disheveled.

I drove back in last night and had no problems until I realized power was out and went to Mt P to crash with friends. I actually had no problems leaving on Friday either- this evacuation was very well managed.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:08 PM

CCSD may wait until Wed. They've got busses all over the state as part of the evacuation.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:58 PM

624 posts, read 695,735 times
Default Back on!

Let's hear it for crews from Sumter Utilities, working on behalf of Berkeley Electric. We are back on in Moncks Corner!

Hopefully everybody is back on soon!

Old 10-09-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
CCSD may wait until Wed. They've got busses all over the state as part of the evacuation.
Seems CCSD will be open for business on Tuesday.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 PM

12,989 posts, read 18,855,327 times
We got back home on James Island two hours ago. Everything is fine. We have power and no trees are down. We hardly saw any evidence of a hurricane except for small fallen branches and twigs and some traffic lights not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area