Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM

41 posts, read 55,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Don't know that Cary is a great example. Did you ever hear: CARY = central area of relocated yankees?

We lived outside of Cary for years, and few of our neighbors were local, much less from the south. What ended up happening is that we all had to become each other's support and family for the day to day things.
My point...had the same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:16 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Indeed. I've even observed such people calling others such words as childish, ignorant, having an "attitude", snotty, smug, arrogant, having an "uptight snotty attitude" and ******* even being passive-aggressive. In fact, one only needs to hit the back key on their browser in this topic to observe such examples

You did hit the nail on the head as to the reason why. For my part, I simply don't respond to these kinds of comments as there is no point.

Well, you're half way there to getting it.

Oh well.

But you are correct in that all you have to dom is look at all the posts on here by southerners, to get it.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyMet View Post
What this wasnt smug & arrogant coming from you?

Nah, she's just joking...nudge...nudge...wink..wink.

It's only joking when they say so. And they'll tell you whether you're joking or not. So let's wait till they come back, so we can know what our intentioned were.

[taps fingers on desk and whistles]

Last edited by NMyTree; 07-12-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Nah, she's just joking...nudge...nudge...wink..wink.

It's only joking when they say so. And they'll tell youm whther you're joking or not. So let's wait till they come back, so we can know whatn our intentioned were.

[taps fingers on desk and whistles]
Exactly! I have a feeling that I if I agreed wih Lumpy that it would not have been considered a joke on their part....

[Feet up, waiting for reply and whisting too]

Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
But you will admit to "baiting" people and "having a little fun" , where I come from that is Ignorant, childish, cowardly & passive aggressive. .....
Sure. I was having some fun. You also claimed to be joking which in my book is having fun. The difference between us however is that you continued to converse with someone that you consider to be ignorant, childish, cowardly and so forth. Yet you said "I like something, I take part in it. If I'm not interested or don't like it at all; I don't get involved in it." So either you are liking such things, or your words mean nothing. Your choice. In comparison, I hold no similar ill feelings towards you as there is no reason for me to have such thoughts based on what you have posted here. It's not as if any of this is new to me.

In fact.....

Throughout this topic you have put forth the idea that some Southerners resent transplants for moving down here and therefore, this must be the reason they won't avail themselves of your fine personality, witty smalltalk, and wisdom. It doesn't make sense so there must be something wrong with them. They must be resenting you because they can never match your accomplishments, good looks and educational level and furthermore blame you for their state in the world. Sure that must be it.

Hmm maybe not. It's not resentment, it's nothing of the sort. It's best explained by this anecdote, which I am paraphrasing that an old Southern gentleman wearing a white seersucker suit and Panama hat told me long ago.....
"Boy, there are two kinds of Yankees moving to the South. It's best you know the difference and act accordingly. The first kind is a fine person, deserving of friendship. Treat them like you would treat any good neighbor. The second kind however is the opposite of the first. (I will leave out the description) Now there isn't anything you can do about this as they can't help how they are. So consider them to be an opportunity. (lots of chuckling) The old joke is the South is where they once picked cotton, now they pick Yankees. Just make sure you are nice about it when you do as they will keep coming back for more. Reserve this treatment for the second kind of Yankee. You will know the difference."
Alas, the younger generation has forgotten about the being nice part.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM

"I like something, I take part in it. If I'm not interested or don't like it at all; I don't get involved in it." So either you are liking such things, or your words mean nothing. "

Never said that....find it...

"Throughout this topic you have put forth the idea that some Southerners resent transplants for moving down here and therefore, this must be the reason that many won't avail themselves of your fine personality, witty smalltalk, and wisdom. It doesn't make sense so there must be something wrong with them. They must be resenting you because they can never match your accomplishments, good looks and educational level and furthermore blame you for their state in the world. Sure that must be it. "

Never stated or intended that to be the case either....you really get things confused in that noggin of yours...I am not going to even bother...its like trying to open up a ketchup bottle with one hand...(I started with a soft joke so you could follow)...Ill use a Knock Knock joke next time this way there wont be any confusion...SEE Thats a JOKE!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Never said that....find it...
Sir, you are quite right as I got you confused with your alter ego in this topic. An honest mistake, it's difficult to tell you two apart.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Sure. I was having some fun. You also claimed to be joking which in my book is having fun. The difference between us however is that you continued to converse with someone that you consider to be ignorant, childish, cowardly and so forth. Yet you said "I like something, I take part in it. If I'm not interested or don't like it at all; I don't get involved in it." So either you are liking such things, or your words mean nothing. Your choice. In comparison, I hold no similar ill feelings towards you as there is no reason for me to have such thoughts based on what you have posted here. It's not as if any of this is new to me.

In fact.....

Throughout this topic you have put forth the idea that some Southerners resent transplants for moving down here and therefore, this must be the reason they won't avail themselves of your fine personality, witty smalltalk, and wisdom. It doesn't make sense so there must be something wrong with them. They must be resenting you because they can never match your accomplishments, good looks and educational level and furthermore blame you for their state in the world. Sure that must be it.

Hmm maybe not. It's not resentment, it's nothing of the sort. It's best explained by this anecdote, which I am paraphrasing that an old Southern gentleman wearing a white seersucker suit and Panama hat told me long ago.....
"Boy, there are two kinds of Yankees moving to the South. It's best you know the difference and act accordingly. The first kind is a fine person, deserving of friendship. Treat them like you would treat any good neighbor. The second kind however is the opposite of the first. (I will leave out the description) Now there isn't anything you can do about this as they can't help how they are. So consider them to be an opportunity. (lots of chuckling) The old joke is the South is where they once picked cotton, now they pick Yankees. Just make sure you are nice about it when you do as they will keep coming back for more. Reserve this treatment for the second kind of Yankee. You will know the difference."
Alas, the younger generation has forgotten about the being nice part.
"Throughout this topic you have put forth the idea that some Southerners resent transplants for moving down here and therefore, this must be the reason they won't avail themselves of your fine personality, witty smalltalk, and wisdom. It doesn't make sense so there must be something wrong with them. They must be resenting you because they can never match your accomplishments, good looks and educational level and furthermore blame you for their state in the world. Sure that must be it.'

You see, you are just proving my point with the passive aggressive resentment....I offered my 2 cents to the post (of my experiences, which is my fault of course) & you critized & attacked (passively aggressively of course) every comment I made...You consistantly proved my point with each and every post...You have a chip on your shoulder...You feel us Yankees think ME Better Than YOU.

WE FIGHT EVERYONE..YADA YADA....Hulk Smash..Durr which way is up...jeez....give us a lil more credit..I dont feel I am better than anyone....never have never will...Never once Did I personally attack you..not my style..I have class..I stated your comments were childish & Your attitude was ignorant..check .but for all I know you are a terrific person and even apologized to the forum..but you wouldnt quit..check out some of the other forums out there on the net...comments made by southerners that "we" should all go home...or the most ignorant thing I have ever seen is "Im glad 9-11 happended to NY" from a particular southerner....sure we feel the love!

I have spent too much time on this, I have better things to do with my time, like rip out my eyes with two number 2 pencils...peace luv & harmony!

Last edited by NyMet; 07-12-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Sir, you are quite right as I got you confused with your alter ego in this topic. An honest mistake, it's difficult to tell you two apart.
Sorry, only have this account! But thanks...maybe youre just "feeling" double from all those whiskey sours! see thats a harsher joke, A knock knock wasnt appropriate.

Last edited by NyMet; 07-12-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry, only have this account! But thanks...maybe youre just "feeling" double from all those whiskey sours! see thats a harsher joke, A knock knock wasnt appropriate.
Well, seeing double is what happens when one talks outm of both sides of their mouths.

You'll see a lot of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte