Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I was NOT making a joke of your post.

I was making a joke, period.

This is the type of uptight, snotty attitude that cracks me up about some of you people, down here.

Okay, now seriously, don't start with the "you people" thing, not when we were all getting along so well and having fun

NCgirl was concerned you were ridiculing her info, which frankly I wondered myself when I read what you wrote. But now you've explained your joke, so let's all just let it go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,681,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
I think that Charlotte is a melting pot, as is any larger city and when you have people from everywhere like that, they aren't as friendly or as warm. Actually, I lived in Orlando for six years and it was unheard of for your neighbor to even greet you with a hello or a wave. Here, if you are just driving through neighborhoods, people wave.

Possibly, if you try the outlying areas, you would get a different feeling for the area.
I'd welcome any friendly transplant to my neighborhood in Gastonia. Pretty much everyone's a native; sadly, we don't get the friendly waves and gestures. My bf actually got very paranoid and mad last weekend as he went out to smoke a cigarette on the porch. He swore two of our neighbors were talking about him and the people who live beside us. If what he said is true, I recommend a clean sweep of this neighborhood and bring only nice people in I'm from SC originally, and I welcome anyone who respects me

Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahahaha, you've just identified yourself as a yankee

hence the joke

Old 07-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Okay, now seriously, don't start with the "you people" thing, not when we were all getting along so well and having fun

NCgirl was concerned you were ridiculing her info, which frankly I wondered myself when I read what you wrote. But now you've explained your joke, so let's all just let it go
"Some of you people" is the full representation of what I said.

And I made a joke and explained it. The sequence is right there to read.
And she still had an attitude and was snotty; after the fact.

So by all rights, you should be passing that message along to her. Not me.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I'd welcome any friendly transplant to my neighborhood in Gastonia. Pretty much everyone's a native; sadly, we don't get the friendly waves and gestures. My bf actually got very paranoid and mad last weekend as he went out to smoke a cigarette on the porch. He swore two of our neighbors were talking about him and the people who live beside us. If what he said is true, I recommend a clean sweep of this neighborhood and bring only nice people in I'm from SC originally, and I welcome anyone who respects me

Maybe your neighbors don't like having to deal with the cigerette smoke? I know I don't want to live where I ever have to smell it. Or maybe they were just talking about how hot he is?

I've always had great neighbors (well, all except the time I lived across the street from the crazy air traffic controller - but he was really off his rocker). The way I seem to get great neighbors is by BEING a great neighbor myself.

Have you done that?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

It's possible he was just being paranoid.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Maybe your neighbors don't like having to deal with the cigerette smoke? I know I don't want to live where I ever have to smell it. Or maybe they were just talking about how hot he is?

I've always had great neighbors (well, all except the time I lived across the street from the crazy air traffic controller - but he was really off his rocker). The way I seem to get great neighbors is by BEING a great neighbor myself.

Have you done that?
I moved in with him 4 years ago or so and I waved to basically everyone I saw. We live in an older, more established neighborhood. On our particular street, there are a number of rentals, which could be one of the reasons people aren't quite as sociable. One of the neighbors is someone who frequently waves when I wave. The other one--we'll not start on them....basically every one of our friends/associates who has driven by and tried to speak has received a blank stare or a "Why are you waving to me?" kinda look. Rumors are that someone has mental issues. After a while, I just got tired of making the effort. Granted, there are a few people we wave to, but everyone seems to mind their own business. A few kids play basketball on both ends of the street, but I'm too old for that.

My bf once lived in a subdivision in Fort Mill and he said people were a lot more sociable. I don't know if there's a connection between friendliness/being cordial and new subdivisions, but I started to theorize there was. I dunno, just another random thought I'd like to have friendlier people around us, but I just don't see it happening, but I'm close enough to my hometown to go down there when I feel the need to be sociable....or the gym. I'm cool with that.

Oh, the smoking bothers me too--that's why he's banned from smoking inside...it used to get all over my clothes and I'd go to work smelling like a cigarette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
It's possible he was just being paranoid.
This is very possible. I told him that myself. He also can be quite pessimistic and can turn innocent comments into something terribly bad!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
IBrake, if you're from SC, does that make you the neighborhood transplant? I'm the token transplant in my neighborhood in Kings Mountain, which is funny, since there are plenty here, just not in my neighborhood..

I've driven around a fair amount of Gastonia (It's closer than Shelby & much better shopping) & I've noticed that some parts seem very quiet, while other parts seem very sociable.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
IBrake, if you're from SC, does that make you the neighborhood transplant? I'm the token transplant in my neighborhood in Kings Mountain, which is funny, since there are plenty here, just not in my neighborhood..

I've driven around a fair amount of Gastonia (It's closer than Shelby & much better shopping) & I've noticed that some parts seem very quiet, while other parts seem very sociable.
LOL, maybe I am since I'm not originally from this city or county. So technically I could be one. I think "the" neighborhood transplant is the friendliest person I've come across. One day a month or so ago, I was just opening my door to grab the mail and this lady was jogging in front of the yard. She said hello, I said my usual hello, and I started to walk in the house and she walked toward me and introduced herself. We talked for about 5 minutes. I was so appreciative of that because that's the longest conversation I've had with anyone on this street. I didn't get where she was from, but from the sounds of it, I could tell she was from the Northeast. Now I make it a point to wave to her when I see her--really, I wave to everyone except the crazy man across the street (even his relatives wave sometimes).

I'm in one of the quieter areas, Southbound. I really think this is one of those areas where people just kinda mind their own business. I'm not what I would call introverted, but I'm not an extreme extrovert either. I would love to live around more extroverted people who thrive off having neighborhood meetings and sit on their porches and stuff, but it's not like that and I have grown to accept it. It seems to me that people in some of the newer areas of town are more sociable--the southeast and east sides in particular. That's where all the growth has been anyway.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
LOL, maybe I am since I'm not originally from this city or county. So technically I could be one. I think "the" neighborhood transplant is the friendliest person I've come across. One day a month or so ago, I was just opening my door to grab the mail and this lady was jogging in front of the yard. She said hello, I said my usual hello, and I started to walk in the house and she walked toward me and introduced herself. We talked for about 5 minutes. I was so appreciative of that because that's the longest conversation I've had with anyone on this street. I didn't get where she was from, but from the sounds of it, I could tell she was from the Northeast. Now I make it a point to wave to her when I see her--really, I wave to everyone except the crazy man across the street (even his relatives wave sometimes).

I'm in one of the quieter areas, Southbound. It seems to me that people in some of the newer areas of town are more sociable--the southeast and east sides in particular. That's where all the growth has been anyway.
I know just where you're talking about with the newer areas.

I made a good friend when I moved here & he had lived in Gastonia for most of his life. He'd come by & do handyman stuff for me, but if one of us had to go someplace he & I would go together & he'd teach me various ways to get from point A to point B. I found a couple of ways to cut through some areas & when I took him along, later, it surprised him.

I think that you're right about the renters making a difference. There are apartments on my street, as well as the houses & most of the renters keep to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte