Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times

Advertisements

We thought that since we were a Transplant in North Eastern PA that it was an issue, until we realized that we were a majority. Thenl you have to aske yourself that if you were shunned do you really need these people as friends. Hold yourself to higher standards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
We thought that since we were a Transplant in North Eastern PA that it was an issue, until we realized that we were a majority. Thenl you have to aske yourself that if you were shunned do you really need these people as friends. Hold yourself to higher standards!
Ain't that the truth! Who gives a rat's behind if some southerners want to shun or be rude to us transplants.

Bleep them.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
OK...here goes

I lived in North Carolina for three years and when we visited to check it out due to my husband landing an IT position we were faced with a welcoming woman (pretty girl) in a pickup truck giving us the finger as we drove past her on Providence Road in Waxhaw. Our only crime was driving a honda van with...NEW YORK plates.

OK...then there was the time my daughter that attended an elem school rated a 10 was told by her Social Studies/ Science teacher although she told the children she didn't like to teach Social Studies & in fact did not but that's another story. Anyway she would tell the kids on an almost daily basis that the south should have won the war- wth???

OK..then there was no pledge in the classroom daily.

HMMM....I have gotten a bit off topic. How about being asked by pretty much any southerner your from NY aren't you. Keep in mind we were normal, well spoken, with well behaved kids and were treated like we had the plague in places like..childrens place, walmart, wise eyes. I'm sure it depends on the person and maybe we just ran into some winners.

Which reminds me of the time we went into Cracker Barrel in SC only to come out and find that Honda van with those NY plates rear end banged in..not a tap like you would think would happen in a parking lot but a real dent.

Both my chldren were behind when moving back but have caught up thankfully!! It's not like the entire experience was bad my kids had an incredible dance teacher that was born and raised there that we keep in contact with and love to death but those good experiences were far and few between. Even when I had my son ..while having a c section I was told by three nursed that I sounded like the woman on the view- ironically my son came out giving the finger-lol.

Again, the entire experience wasn't bad, met a few close friends that I will have forever, experienced a different culture, lived in a beautful dream home in a very pretty place ..just the trade off wasn't worth it for me.

OK...give it to me..I'm ready but this was our experience and some others I know are having the same experience and trying to move back to where they came from but others are happy and would never leave.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 PM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
Did u ever think he might have been joking with you? Dentists tend to kinda have odd senses of humor in my experience. Maybe not the best icebreaker in his case, but I certainly wouldn't have got my panties in a wad over it.

Speaking of icebreakers thats exactly what it is when someone calls you a Yankee btw. Its simply a way to see how you react in most cases. If you get up in arms and ticked off about it, well thats in insight into your personality. If it rolls of your back or you come back with an insightful retort well that shows a little of who you are too. Either way its a 2 minute look into your personna for those that can't spend years getting to know you. I know some will think its harsh to make quick judgements about people but we all can't smile ear to ear, welcome you to Charlotte 100 times, find out your life's history, bake you a cake, tell you what plumber to use only to see you ship out in 2 years when you realize Charlotte is not the worryfree uptopia you were promised by your great aunt's best friend that moved here 10 years ago.

OK..so the next time I'm in NYC, if in the rare instance I happen to pass a southerner- should I call them a slur word for living in the south. I don't want to offen anyone by saying it but really..should I to see their inner personality??

Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Ain't that the truth! Who gives a rat's behind if some southerners want to shun or be rude to us transplants.
Who might be giving a "rats ass"? Maybe someone who is posting a great deal in a topic about it. I always say that it is actions that count, not words. .... Just saying.....

Taken from the topic tracker a few minutes ago.

Last edited by lumbollo; 07-10-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
When I moved here from South Florida I was in 7th grade. After a couple months in NC junior high I was moved into mostly 8th and 9th grade AP classes, because the FL curriculum (where I was "GT"-Gifted/Talented) was so far ahead of NC. I was called a "damn Yankee" because I'd moved down from FL. This was my first experience with real white trash rednecks and other assorted illiterates (hence the "down from FL" comments) but it was still a culture shock to me.

On the plus side, I ended up having multiple cheerleaders in my classes, AND the gym teacher pulled me and another guy aside and asked us if we wanted to continue our "lame" gym class (his words) or assist in the training of the cheerleaders.

Duh.

Junior high wasn't all bad.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Who might be giving a "rats ass"? Maybe someone who is posting a great deal in a topic about it. I always say that it is actions that count, not words. .... Just saying.....

Taken from the topic tracker a few minutes ago.
But to be fair, I post on a variety of topics, not just this one!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
OK...here goes

I lived in North Carolina for three years and when we visited to check it out due to my husband landing an IT position we were faced with a welcoming woman (pretty girl) in a pickup truck giving us the finger as we drove past her on Providence Road in Waxhaw. Our only crime was driving a honda van with...NEW YORK plates.

OK...then there was the time my daughter that attended an elem school rated a 10 was told by her Social Studies/ Science teacher although she told the children she didn't like to teach Social Studies & in fact did not but that's another story. Anyway she would tell the kids on an almost daily basis that the south should have won the war- wth???

OK..then there was no pledge in the classroom daily.

HMMM....I have gotten a bit off topic. How about being asked by pretty much any southerner your from NY aren't you. Keep in mind we were normal, well spoken, with well behaved kids and were treated like we had the plague in places like..childrens place, walmart, wise eyes. I'm sure it depends on the person and maybe we just ran into some winners.

Which reminds me of the time we went into Cracker Barrel in SC only to come out and find that Honda van with those NY plates rear end banged in..not a tap like you would think would happen in a parking lot but a real dent.

Both my chldren were behind when moving back but have caught up thankfully!! It's not like the entire experience was bad my kids had an incredible dance teacher that was born and raised there that we keep in contact with and love to death but those good experiences were far and few between. Even when I had my son ..while having a c section I was told by three nursed that I sounded like the woman on the view- ironically my son came out giving the finger-lol.

Again, the entire experience wasn't bad, met a few close friends that I will have forever, experienced a different culture, lived in a beautful dream home in a very pretty place ..just the trade off wasn't worth it for me.

OK...give it to me..I'm ready but this was our experience and some others I know are having the same experience and trying to move back to where they came from but others are happy and would never leave.

Okay, here's a real straight and honest answer...

I will admit, when I see New York license plates I do inwardly cringe. (However, I would never smash a car with those plates and I'm sorry that happened to you.)

Now, keep in mind, some of favorite folks have driven with those plates, including one of my oldest friends who relocated here two years ago. But try to understand, Charlotte has literally been overun with folks from the northeast in the last 15 years, so much so that it has literally transformed the landscape, and not always for the better. That transformation has upset and frustrated a lot of people I'm afraid, and not without cause in some cases.

At first, I was like everyone else in Charlotte - we thought this was a neat thing, that so many non-southerners would appreciate the south enough to actually relocate to it. We were excited to have new foods and customs brought to us (though the first time I was invited to a "coffee klatch" I was very bewildered!). I got to meet my first Jewish friend and my life was enriched for it.

But somewhere along the way things got out of balance. Attitudes, temperments and politics began to be less recognizable to the natives and long time locals. We found ourselves the butt of jokes for our accents, our lifestyles and the way we live our faith outloud here in the Bible belt. In addition, it became apparent that Charlotte was to some newcomers like the girl in school you'd never take home to mother, but you sure didn't mind using her for what you could get in the backseat of your car after school. Meaning people didn't really want to live here and assimilate so much as they just wanted big houses and cheap taxes. Over time this has all just really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Now, the vast majority of southerners who have been "rubbed the wrong way" just do what I try to do, rise above it and remind ourselves that many transplants from the northeast have embraced our way of life and really appreciate what the south has to offer. We would never be so rude as to shun anyone just because of where they came from and try hard to put any preconceived opinions aside and judge everyone we meet individually.

Still, enough bad apples have conditioned some among us to do what I have admitted to you, inwardly cringe when we see those New York plates.

Sad, I know.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I was NOT making a joke of your post.

I was making a joke, period.

This is the type of uptight, snotty attitude that cracks me up about some of you people, down here.
I realize that tone is hard to understand online but my reply was not meant to seem snotty. In fact it was the opposite of that. Again, I was sincere in my attempt to help and honestly I found your joke to be hurtful. It is never my intent to convey a negative attitude or to be rude in any way. I only hope to be helpful here.

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive today but I am going through a painful situation in real life. I am not one to be snarky on city-data and I strive to be positive whenever I can (both on and offline). There is a lot of negativity and pain out there, I don't want to add to it. My "real life" personality is far from snotty or rude and it hurts me to think I have been perceived that way.

Last edited by NCgirl; 07-10-2010 at 11:13 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
OP, this IS the internet.

Shunned? Meaning people don't talk to me? Are nasty to me? People throw eggs at me?

No, everything is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte