Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
It is a party in the largest venue in the tri-state area . . .
Tri-state area? After NC and SC, what is the third state near Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm sorry, but there's nothing great about the least worst - which is what sums up elections these days. It comes down to Super PACs and funding more then the candidates - perfectly exemplified when good quality candidates can't even compete against the puppets simply due to funds.

Look at the list of top contributors to these clowns... and I include Obama in this. Romney is essentially Wall St made with Obama not being much better. Beyond that direct buying of influence, the Super PACs spending gobs of money on attack ads dictate so much of middle America thinking. I see nothing great in this.
I just love politics. The super pacs just make it even that the repub's can compete with the democrats who have the labor unions wrapped up. Its just fun to watch it all unfold its great theater in my eyes. Regardless of where the money is coming from.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Tri-state area? After NC and SC, what is the third state near Charlotte?
DNC is throwing Virginia into the mix, lol.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I just love politics. The super pacs just make it even that the repub's can compete with the democrats who have the labor unions wrapped up. Its just fun to watch it all unfold its great theater in my eyes. Regardless of where the money is coming from.
I used to feel that way . . . then the 21st Century hit and suddenly . . . it wasn't fun any more.

My favorite book in high school (as far as contemporary literature) was an oldie even then - "Advise and Consent." Used to love politics . . . now, that book is so far from how things are done in DC . . . it's all "Wag the Dog" now.

Well, that and YouTube and, as Mikey said, PACs.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
It's about image and perception. They don't have to sell tickets to Jimbo in Shelby, they want the perception that the Obamas and the dems can to relate to Jimbo in Shelby.

Taking an entire day away and having one event taken outside of the city WILL affect the money that's spent in Charlotte. Furthermore, whatever retail value that city planners put on having Charlotte in high definition for four consecutive nights is also cut in half, if not more because time was cut in the first place.

What's going on at the track isn't a traditional principle and featured speaker day. It's a community day which could potentially cut further projected revenue (anyone who was going to show up on a Friday, push it to Saturday).

When you lose a day and you move an event, there's always a loss of money, whether retail or net value somewhere. In this instance the money could be Concord and Cabarrus county's gain since they were outsiders looking in. Whatever Mayor Foxx, Tim Newman, and the rest of that gang was wringing their hands and salivating over turned into a "find the best rock" crawl today. No way are they happy about this.

I'm still riding my train of thought in the thread that was created when the DNC location was announced. I thought it was a terrible idea to have the city that's hosting the event already in the red, even though the Charlotte Booster Club was tripping over themselves for having it here.
You got it all right, Brian.

I hope the city doesn't end up in a fiscal mess from hosting this convention. I truly hope it is a big boost.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree... and it's always better to have multiple video's of huge crowds in different places around Charlotte.
Ya think? Who cares? Folks in other states don't. The world certainly doesn't.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
The funding short-fall and the expected Occupy movement in Charlotte makes this a smart move. Now, if only we can get BofA to move to NYC and rename the stadium in time for this convention...

Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Compete? You need these Super PACs to compete against <12% of all the salary and wage earners in the entire country? 14.7mil people and continuing to rapidly decline... that's compared to the 130mil that voted in the 2008 election. Wow.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The funding short-fall and the expected Occupy movement in Charlotte makes this a smart move. Now, if only we can get BofA to move to NYC and rename the stadium in time for this convention...
OMG! LOL. You are right! Maybe we can just block out the references and pretend it is named something else?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yeah thats a smart move. Get one of the biggest private employers to move their headquaters. that would do wonders for the city. While we are at it get rid of usairways as well. who needs a hub airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte