Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

...maybe the DNC wants to get as many people as possible at an event? The place holds 150K and they have the largest screen in the world. It's not that serious... it's just another event where they can get max crowds for the cameras.

If the event was at a university or a museum everyone would say it was elitist or locking out the regular folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Did they decide on moving buses and if so where?
If this case so basically DNC goers will be getting off transit center light rail depot to a empty center?
Good question, Sunny. And one I have been trying to find out the answer to since we heard, months ago, that perhaps the transit center should be moved.

I have looked to find any reference to any such changes, and what this would mean (and what it would "look like" as far as convention goers, local riders, etc). I can't find any info. Maybe the Charlotte Observer would be so kind as to track this down for us.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
...maybe the DNC wants to get as many people as possible at an event? The place holds 150K and they have the largest screen in the world. It's not that serious... it's just another event where they can get max crowds for the cameras.

If the event was at a university or a museum everyone would say it was elitist or locking out the regular folk.
You are overestimating by 10K. It holds 140K.

I think having an event at a university, which is publicly funded, is anything but elitist and doesn't appear to be pandering to any segment of the citizenry, whereas holding this at the speedway looks very calculated, indeed.

Why wasn't UNC-Charlotte chosen, since that is a state university and I would think would be wonderful to spotlight, since this rally is supposed to be bringing together unity from NC, SC, VA and the South, in general. What better venue than a place where parents from all over the country send their kids to be educated?

We all know what the speedway venue is all about: It is a strategy to try to wipe out that image of the First Lady getting booed.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-18-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Okay, the info about the transit center has been on my mind since last year . . . when this story came out:

Temporary transit center relocation would accommodate DNC in 2012 | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

At that time, it was stated that city leaders expected some word from DNC "early next year" (which would be NOW) as to how this would be handled. Here are some excerpts from the article:

The Charlotte Transportation Center is the nerve center for the city's rail and bus service. It's not only a start-and-go point for thousands of uptown workers, it's also a hub for switching buses. It is adjacent to the CTC/Arena light-rail station, which probably would be temporarily closed as well.

In addition to events at the arena, the Charlotte Convention Center also might be used for the DNC. That could force closing the light-rail line through uptown because the train bisects the center.

You would think, with the changes announced yesterday, that these decisions about the transit center would be made and announced, too, but not a thing was mentioned.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are overestimating by 10K. It holds 140K.

I think having an event at a university, which is publicly funded, is anything but elitist and doesn't appear to be pandering to any segment of the citizenry, whereas holding this at the speedway looks very calculated, indeed.

It is a strategy to try to wipe out that image of the First Lady getting booed.
it holds 140K when their is a race... it will probably hold 200K if they use the inside of the raceway as well.

What university can hold 150 to 200K people? If it's held on a university and only 20K or 40K can get into the event it will definitely be looked at as elitist if only the top dollars get a seat.

I don't think this is being done to wipe out an image of the first lady being booed. That wasn't even big news....

Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
it holds 140K when their is a race... it will probably hold 200K if they use the inside of the raceway as well.

What university can hold 150 to 200K people? If it's held on a university and only 20K or 40K can get into the event it will definitely be looked at as elitist if only the top dollars get a seat.

I don't think this is being done to wipe out an image of the first lady being booed. That wasn't even big news....
First of all, this is a convention and the speedway is being used as a campaign rally. That should be paid for by campaign funds, not by convention funds. It should be sponsored separately from the convention. This is just a slick way to get around campaign financing laws, okay?

There are not 140K people attending the convention. Hello! THis is a campaign rally not an event for convention goers. DNC can puff it up all they want . . . if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck.

And maybe it wasn't big news to you about Mrs. Obama getting booed, but it was definitely something that caught people's attention. I thought it was disgraceful and I was embarrassed about it. Others found it a meaningful way to express their feelings about this Administration.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
First of all, this is a convention and the speedway is being used as a campaign rally. That should be paid for by campaign funds, not by convention funds. It should be sponsored separately from the convention. This is just a slick way to get around campaign financing laws, okay?
Ok...

Quote:
There are not 140K people attending the convention. Hello! THis is a campaign rally not an event for convention goers. DNC can puff it up all they want . . . if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck.
OK...It's not like the DNC didn't announce the change to 3 days or lied about this event taking place....

Quote:
And maybe it wasn't big news to you about Mrs. Obama getting booed, but it was definitely something that caught people's attention. I thought it was disgraceful and I was embarrassed about it. Others found it a meaningful way to express their feelings about this Administration.
Here is the thing... we live in a 24 hour news cycle. Michelle Obama being booed at a NASCAR event isn't a surprise or shock to most people.

They talk about this families dog, ask why they get to fly on Air Force One, make up crazy numbers for every trip they take etc. and so on...

My point though is this puffed up duck walking event isn't in response to the first lady being booed. It's just an event to get a big crowd.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Ok...

My point though is this puffed up duck walking event isn't in response to the first lady being booed. It's just an event to get a big crowd.
You might say they hit two birds with one stone. They have managed to side-step campaign finance laws and they are hoping to look all warm and fuzzy with folks who support NASCAR, a demographic that hasn't warmly received the Obamas.

Let's just see how many NASCAR hats and T-Shirts are handed out to the crowd, so that "race fan look" will be captured on film, giving the impression that racing fans love love love the Obamas. Please.

This is PR 101.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 AM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
That is thunderstorm season too. Maybe there is some sanity to NASCARs decision to allow so many NASCAR haters to use that place. LOL!!! . They will likely furnish Obama with a nice strong medal umbrilla for protection from rain and lightening both there or the B of A stadium.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
You might say they hit two birds with one stone. They have managed to side-step campaign finance laws and they are hoping to look all warm and fuzzy with folks who support NASCAR, a demographic that hasn't warmly received the Obamas.

Let's just see how many NASCAR hats and T-Shirts are handed out to the crowd, so that "race fan look" will be captured on film, giving the impression that racing fans love love love the Obamas. Please.

This is PR 101.
I read somewhere that the DNC thought about changing the convention to 3 days in Denver in 2008.

TV stations are giving less time to the conventions because it's boring TV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte