Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 PM

373 posts, read 709,805 times

Advertisements

Thats good news to the natives around here.It means the rift raft will clear out sooner and we can start hanging our cloths out to dry on the clothsline again..Does it mean their bills will be reduced too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have no answers. I no longer have a Press Pass to flash, so I can't get the answers very easily. Crazy, but citizens may pay the taxes but they have to jump thru/ hoops to get the bottom line on the bottom line . . .

I know I have seen an amazing amount of "clean up" around the city . . . but as far as actual infrastructure outlay in dollars . . . I have no clue. I do not know how many dollars have been committed for PR/promotion of the city. I would assume there have been contracts signed for all sorts of video production but contracts usually have a modification clause . . . so dropping one day of shoots surely wouldn't mean money has already been committed in lump sums this early in the game . . . Any spots that are already in production shouldn't be affected, of course.

There may be TV time for local stations that has been sold on the basis of advertising for the original schedule of days . . . but again - don't know that the city would have been involved in any of that . . . I would think contracts would be in the works for additional law enforcement . . . but again, nothing that couldn't be modified. Cost to the venues - I would think that wouldn't involve the city itself unless the city was underwriting part of those expenses. But with this much notice . . .

I really have no idea - other than private parties and hotel suites, restaurants, taxis, etc - how cancelling a day would affect expenses negatively for the city of Charlotte. It will definitely affect incoming revenue. The investments the city makes - such as with cleaning up areas - that was an outlay regardless of how long the convention would be here. And the clean up with be less . . . so I dunno.

BTW - what has ever happened about the transit station being moved? Wonder how much that will cost.
What additional "clean up" are they doing? Charlotte looks the same IMO.

It can't be that expensive to move the transit station.... besides canopies what else do they have to build? It's temporary so it's not like they are paving and erecting a whole new transit station.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ya think? Who cares? Folks in other states don't. The world certainly doesn't.
Ok....

Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Wells Fargo's HQ is gone, yet most of the jobs are still here. US Airways doesn't have a HQ here, yet we are one of their biggest (if not the biggest) hub. BofA is practically already headquartered in NYC; it's just a Charlotte bank "on paper".

Would the jobs leave Charlotte? NO. Why? Because wages in Charlotte are cheaper than the wages in NYC. Can the bank justify moving those jobs from cheap Charlotte to expensive NYC? NO. Therefore, moving the HQ status to NYC is a win-win for both Charlotte and NYC. NYC gains more bragging rights; Charlotte is no longer the poster-child for "growth through the wicked banking industry".

If BofA is still here during the DNC, I expect not to see skyline shots of Charlotte at all. I expect to see protests like this city has NEVER seen before. At any rate, I believe that the banking industry is going the way of the dinosaurs. Charlotte should wake up and move on.
every DNC and RNC has protestors...

Why the heck would they move the HQ of a business that was here when we received the convention?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
What additional "clean up" are they doing? Charlotte looks the same IMO.

It can't be that expensive to move the transit station.... besides canopies what else do they have to build? It's temporary so it's not like they are paving and erecting a whole new transit station.
Chunks of the land/lots around Charlotte have been cleared, landscaped. . . medians cleaned out, replanted . . . brush and debris removed . . . buildings knocked down . . . fences torn out/replaced . . . just look around, lol. Hubby and I remark about it weekly. I am not complaining. I am glad things are being spiffed up - just hope it is maintained.

I have no idea what is involved w/ changing the transit station - that is why I was asking. I didn't know what fencing or structures may be required . . . paving, etc. I have no clue.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Ok....
Okay. I was harsh. Forgive me, Felt.

To be honest, those types of staged set ups with thronging masses remind me of the Dear Leader . . . or Germany in WWII. Just creeps me out. Contrived and high ick factor.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
Thats good news to the natives around here.It means the rift raft will clear out sooner and we can start hanging our cloths out to dry on the clothsline again..Does it mean their bills will be reduced too?
Let's hope clothes are the only things that get hung out to dry.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-17-2012 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
"Obama pretty much has this election sewn up. He has the Chicago machine behind him, lol.~ Ani

Ani, you are the first person that I know of that has figured this out. As a Chicagoan that is more familiar with Chicago politics than I care to be, I have said that ever since Rahm Emanuel went to the city to become mayor...and Daley's brother went to the White House to take Rahm's place. The fact that they just ousted Daley from the WH is slightly concerning; I know that the "Machine" is not happy about that. Not sure what the repercussions will be. However, Obama WILL win. The "Machine" has decided it.

To the poster that "loves" politics...you obviously have never seen/researched/read anything about the political machine that has run Chicago since before prohibition. It made it to the WH at least once before...the Kennedy years...and is now happy to have gotten back in. I guess if you don't mind corruption, and live in a fantasy world, the whole thing would be like an exciting novel...

Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,206 times
If Charlotte wants to host the Olympics like they had bandied about a few months ago, they might want to suggest cutting it by half. A lot of that swimming and diving stuff is repetitive anyway, right? Who needs to swim the full 1,600 meters? 800 will do.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
"Obama pretty much has this election sewn up. He has the Chicago machine behind him, lol.~ Ani

Ani, you are the first person that I know of that has figured this out. As a Chicagoan that is more familiar with Chicago politics than I care to be, I have said that ever since Rahm Emanuel went to the city to become mayor...and Daley's brother went to the White House to take Rahm's place. The fact that they just ousted Daley from the WH is slightly concerning; I know that the "Machine" is not happy about that. Not sure what the repercussions will be. However, Obama WILL win. The "Machine" has decided it.

To the poster that "loves" politics...you obviously have never seen/researched/read anything about the political machine that has run Chicago since before prohibition. It made it to the WH at least once before...the Kennedy years...and is now happy to have gotten back in. I guess if you don't mind corruption, and live in a fantasy world, the whole thing would be like an exciting novel...
It has really surprised me, CHI, that the national media has never even attempted to do an expose on Chicago politics (during this Administration). You know I love Chicago! And have a son there right now! But my daddy told me back in 1960 . . . if I wanted to learn about politics . . . I needed to learn the history of corruption in Chicago. So I did. Therefore, I wasn't surprised at what erupted there at the 68 convention . . . and have read as much about that convention as I could get my hands on . . . Conventions today are slick media productions, but "back then," it was down and dirty politics at its worst . . . back room deals . . . trade offs . . . just unbelievable stuff went on. I will think of whose autobiography it was that gave so much detail about this particular convention . . . and come back and post for anyone interested (hope I can get those brain receptors to make the connection so I can remember, hee hee).

Today, the deals are made w/ bailouts and union pension funds - and political plum positions, as well as pork. It is what one might call a multi-pronged approach, lol.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-17-2012 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte