Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
If Charlotte wants to host the Olympics like they had bandied about a few months ago, they might want to suggest cutting it by half. A lot of that swimming and diving stuff is repetitive anyway, right? Who needs to swim the full 1,600 meters? 800 will do.
LOL. I don't think we have to worry about that . . . even if we do have an international airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM

373 posts, read 709,805 times
The big deals have been made. Every policeman within 100 miles has already made plans on how he will spend the mucho overtime money he will get working the convention. That money is going to be paid to them reguardless of the convention time being shorter....Then deal makers up town wont bring this subject up.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
This whole thread is just a political rant with people talking out thier a$$es with no one having a clue. Gotta love election years!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 AM

Maybe DNC leadership got miffed b/c there are new ordinances that allow police to essentially "shake down" protestors or those trying to break up protests (union workers).

Charlotte's DNC ordinances worry the ACLU | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Chunks of the land/lots around Charlotte have been cleared, landscaped. . . medians cleaned out, replanted . . . brush and debris removed . . . buildings knocked down . . . fences torn out/replaced . . . just look around, lol. Hubby and I remark about it weekly. I am not complaining. I am glad things are being spiffed up - just hope it is maintained.

I have no idea what is involved w/ changing the transit station - that is why I was asking. I didn't know what fencing or structures may be required . . . paving, etc. I have no clue.
Charlotte always appeared pretty clean to me. I'm not sure these things are linked to the DNC convention... LOL.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Did they decide on moving buses and if so where?
If this case so basically DNC goers will be getting off transit center light rail depot to a empty center?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
I had not gotten over the fact that the DNC selected Charlotte to hold its convention in the middle of the hurricane season (Hugo, Sept 1989), when coastal storms or hurricanes can send lots of rain into the Piedmont area of the state. Then, they pick Bank of America stadium as the venue for the President to announce he will accept the party's nomination. Anyone else see the irony here? Add to this an opening event at the Concord Speedway (sorry - Charlotte Motor Speedway). Wonder if Bruton will provide free parking? The event will be on Labor Day where 150,000 people will be using I-85 during one of the busiest traffic days of the year. Can anyone envision a traffic mess? Yes, conference delegates will be on buses, but it's open to the public (a Secret Service nightmare) and the public will drive. I am going to apply for the Poncho concession for both the opening event at the speedway and BoA Stadium since umbrellas won't be allowed.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 AM

NASCAR haters need to re-think their positions. The DNC believes gathering at the speedway is not only great publicity, it is meaningful.

"This is about engaging Americans in a meaningful way," says DNC Chair Debbie Wassernman Schultz.

And Host committee spokeswoman Suzi Emmerling called the speedway event a "free, family-friendly festival ... to showcase the best of the Carolinas."

For naysayers out there . . . it is clear how the DNC feels about our state. It isn't a university that is being showcased, or even a museum. It is the speedway.

And Mayor Foxx . . . he is now representing the state of Virginia, as well as, it appears - all of North Carolina - and, moreover - "the South" - since he pontificates that the event would "celebrate North Carolina and Virginia" as well as the South.

I guess that means all those other states are helping Charlotte pay for hosting the DNC, right?

Or maybe it's just all free.

Democrats are getting a break on the stadium, we are told. But what that actually means, no one is saying.

In response to questions, convention CEO Steve Kerrigan said shortening the convention by a day wouldn't reduce the cost.

Carolina Panthers' owner Jerry Richardson said the team is not charging the convention. He declined to say how much it would rent for, but the team is believed to have charged some takers around $400,000.

Maybe all the freebies mean more money from contributors can be funneled into campaign treasure chests, rather than convention funds.

Read more here: DNC: Charlotte's convention to try new twists | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Last edited by brokensky; 01-18-2012 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Charlotte always appeared pretty clean to me. I'm not sure these things are linked to the DNC convention... LOL.
When you see spaces around the areas within a few miles of the airport, for example, that have been nasty for 30 years (and yes, I WOULD KNOW) and suddenly it is all cleaned up . . . you can just draw your own conclusions.

I am glad to see the city spiffed! But no one is talking about the $$$. For all I know, maybe city leaders put the strongarm on property owners (many of which I would think would be businesses) to get the ugly removed. The point is . . . we don't know, do we.

Just b/c folks haven't noticed these sudden clean ups doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And just b/c the Charlotte Observer doesn't have a reporter willing to get out and take some photos and ask some questions, doesn't mean it isn't a story.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
This whole thread is just a political rant with people talking out thier a$$es with no one having a clue. Gotta love election years!
Seems your remark, above, is the one where someone is just ranting without any sort of reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte