Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Yeah thats a smart move. Get one of the biggest private employers to move their headquaters. that would do wonders for the city. While we are at it get rid of usairways as well. who needs a hub airline.
Wells Fargo's HQ is gone, yet most of the jobs are still here. US Airways doesn't have a HQ here, yet we are one of their biggest (if not the biggest) hub. BofA is practically already headquartered in NYC; it's just a Charlotte bank "on paper".

Would the jobs leave Charlotte? NO. Why? Because wages in Charlotte are cheaper than the wages in NYC. Can the bank justify moving those jobs from cheap Charlotte to expensive NYC? NO. Therefore, moving the HQ status to NYC is a win-win for both Charlotte and NYC. NYC gains more bragging rights; Charlotte is no longer the poster-child for "growth through the wicked banking industry".

If BofA is still here during the DNC, I expect not to see skyline shots of Charlotte at all. I expect to see protests like this city has NEVER seen before. At any rate, I believe that the banking industry is going the way of the dinosaurs. Charlotte should wake up and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Wells Fargo's HQ is gone, yet most of the jobs are still here. US Airways doesn't have a HQ here, yet we are one of their biggest (if not the biggest) hub. BofA is practically already headquartered in NYC; it's just a Charlotte bank "on paper".

Would the jobs leave Charlotte? NO. Why? Because wages in Charlotte are cheaper than the wages in NYC. Can the bank justify moving those jobs from cheap Charlotte to expensive NYC? NO. Therefore, moving the HQ status to NYC is a win-win for both Charlotte and NYC. NYC gains more bragging rights; Charlotte is no longer the poster-child for "growth through the wicked banking industry".

If BofA is still here during the DNC, I expect not to see skyline shots of Charlotte at all. I expect to see protests like this city has NEVER seen before. At any rate, I believe that the banking industry is going the way of the dinosaurs. Charlotte should wake up and move on.
If Obama puts the pressure on BoA to move out of Charlotte prior to this convention, I would expect folks would see that as an act of presidential power that would be very troubling, indeed.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,980 times
I don't think the election is sewn-up, depends on how Mitt performs during the debates. Newt G is a jewel, whether you like him or not, he's a crafty SOB. Still, the visibility of hosting any national political convention is a plus for the state/city with plenty of upside.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I don't think the election is sewn-up, depends on how Mitt performs during the debates. Newt G is a jewel, whether you like him or not, he's a crafty SOB. Still, the visibility of hosting any national political convention is a plus for the state/city with plenty of upside.
THe thing about Newt is . . . he is very intelligent. I watched a series he did on American history back in the 90s. But dear me . . . He should be a senator, where he can do the research and the debating and draft statutes. I just can't see him as President.

Obama pretty much has this election sewn up. He has the Chicago machine behind him, lol.

If I were a betting woman, and I am not, I would put my $$ on Obama, regardless of how I personally was gonna vote.

Of course, I am a bad loser - but not b/c I wanted a Republican in the White House. I am a Hillary Clinton supporter. The woman is damn amazing.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If Obama puts the pressure on BoA to move out of Charlotte prior to this convention, I would expect folks would see that as an act of presidential power that would be very troubling, indeed.
The president has no real power; our globe is ran by corporations who own the technologies that we are addicted to.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The president has no real power; our globe is ran by corporations who own the technologies that we are addicted to.
Tell that to GM's former CEO.

Having said that . . . I will agree that corporations run the machine.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,413,560 times
Quote:
You got it all right, Brian.

I hope the city doesn't end up in a fiscal mess from hosting this convention. I truly hope it is a big boost.
I know it's a little ways away and I'm not entirely sure how the process works, but I have to ask...

...and I KNOW the Charlotte Observer is reading this thread, so this is directed mostly to you.. (I'm expecting to see this answered by Thursday...it's a much better question to glean from this board than "has your bulk mail been delivered late")

Has the city of Charlotte already committed any money that it won't get back to a now shortened convention? Figure it already lost money in resources to plan out four days worth of events. I'm wondering about any additional losses.

Come on, Charlotte Observer...don't let Foxx and Newman off the hook here.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,931 times
Quote:
Tell that to GM's former CEO.

Having said that . . . I will agree that corporations run the machine.

It doesn't help that all politicians lie their faces off to get re-elected, and then as soon as they do, they immediately start doing the exact same things that got them kicked out of office in the first place. It also doesn't help that so many of the newest politicians think their job description is "Get gigantic paychecks, and refuse to do anything at all." Whatever happened to governing in the best interest of the people who elected them there in the first place?

Last edited by topchief1; 01-17-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
It doesn't help that all politicians lie their faces off to get re-elected, and then as soon as they, they immediately start doing the exact same things that got them kicked out of office in the first place. It also doesn't help that so many of the newest politicians think their job description is "Get gigantic paychecks, and refuse to do anything at all." Whatever happened to governing in the best interest of the people who elected them there in the first place?
I don't know, Topchief. I actually do think about this, as I am a big into history and Thomas Jefferson is one of the people I admire most . . . and I think about Monroe, Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, Jay, Paine, Franklin . . . they fought their verbal battles! They didn't always agree! But you think about those guys and how they stood on principle and literally were willing to invest every penny of their own wealth into forming this nation . . . and you look at the political landscape today . . . and you just gotta be either saddened or enraged (or both).

Last edited by brokensky; 01-17-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I know it's a little ways away and I'm not entirely sure how the process works, but I have to ask...

...and I KNOW the Charlotte Observer is reading this thread, so this is directed mostly to you.. (I'm expecting to see this answered by Thursday...it's a much better question to glean from this board than "has your bulk mail been delivered late")

Has the city of Charlotte already committed any money that it won't get back to a now shortened convention? Figure it already lost money in resources to plan out four days worth of events. I'm wondering about any additional losses.

Come on, Charlotte Observer...don't let Foxx and Newman off the hook here.
I have no answers. I no longer have a Press Pass to flash, so I can't get the answers very easily. Crazy, but citizens may pay the taxes but they have to jump thru/ hoops to get the bottom line on the bottom line . . .

I know I have seen an amazing amount of "clean up" around the city . . . but as far as actual infrastructure outlay in dollars . . . I have no clue. I do not know how many dollars have been committed for PR/promotion of the city. I would assume there have been contracts signed for all sorts of video production but contracts usually have a modification clause . . . so dropping one day of shoots surely wouldn't mean money has already been committed in lump sums this early in the game . . . Any spots that are already in production shouldn't be affected, of course.

There may be TV time for local stations that has been sold on the basis of advertising for the original schedule of days . . . but again - don't know that the city would have been involved in any of that . . . I would think contracts would be in the works for additional law enforcement . . . but again, nothing that couldn't be modified. Cost to the venues - I would think that wouldn't involve the city itself unless the city was underwriting part of those expenses. But with this much notice . . .

I really have no idea - other than private parties and hotel suites, restaurants, taxis, etc - how cancelling a day would affect expenses negatively for the city of Charlotte. It will definitely affect incoming revenue. The investments the city makes - such as with cleaning up areas - that was an outlay regardless of how long the convention would be here. And the refuse/garbage clean up around venues - that will actually be less w/ one day cut out of the program.

BTW - what has ever happened about the transit station being moved? Wonder how much that will cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte