Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,744,590 times

Advertisements

I heard that the Garden Parkway has been approved & they will start building it next year. Really, let's call it what it is. . .the road to Bessemer City.

What's your opinion of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,746,857 times
SB, I do a decent amount of driving out in Gaston/Cleveland county and unless I'm way off base, I don't think a road like that is needed in that area.

To me Once you get west of 321 the traffic on 85 clears out pretty good. You never have traffic due to volume. The only time you'll have stoppages is when construction is going on (like they did at the SC border.)

I'm not a fan of driving on 85 east of 321 (or on 85 period), because of the large volume of tractor trailers, and the lanes are narrower than other major highways I'm used to. However, I bite the bullet because if you are traveling into Charlotte from out that way I want to get back fast.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
SB, I do a decent amount of driving out in Gaston/Cleveland county and unless I'm way off base, I don't think a road like that is needed in that area.

To me Once you get west of 321 the traffic on 85 clears out pretty good. You never have traffic due to volume. The only time you'll have stoppages is when construction is going on (like they did at the SC border.)

I'm not a fan of driving on 85 east of 321 (or on 85 period), because of the large volume of tractor trailers, and the lanes are narrower than other major highways I'm used to. However, I bite the bullet because if you are traveling into Charlotte from out that way I want to get back fast.
I was hoping that you'd respond, Jack.

I take 74 or 85, depending on where I'm going, & I switch between them. Most people here do the same, which is why traffic seems lighter.

The toll road meanders. It's not direct. I can see interstate truckers taking it, but not individuals. It doesn't fix a thing, & will makes things much worse.

NCDOT was going to widen 85 to exit 10. This may kill it. There are times, at rush hour, when the traffic between 321 & the state line is heavy, without construction. That's only going to get worse when the paper plant in Shelby is up & running. Their warehouse has already added truck traffic to 74 & 85.

As more people out here get back to work, traffic will get worse, & that toll road will not help.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM

172 posts, read 267,958 times
What is the big deal on Toll roads? Its not like were the first place to get them. Ive seen them in Houston, TX, New York, and Atlanta.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
What is the big deal on Toll roads? Its not like were the first place to get them. Ive seen them in Houston, TX, New York, and Atlanta.
The Garden Parkway will start at 485 & meander aimlessly through southern Gaston County & end up at I 85, at Bessemer City. It is, essentially, useless. Because of this road, I 85 probably won't be widened, which is needed.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,535,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
They are not necessary and are an absolute waste of tax payer dollars.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 AM

104 posts, read 304,548 times
To me its all about perception. I live in Gaston County and find myself very excited about the potential growth it will bring our County.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,535,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntice View Post
To me its all about perception. I live in Gaston County and find myself very excited about the potential growth it will bring our County.

Stop and think about those who will lose their land and their homes. Stop and think about those who have bought land adjacent to the parkway, knowing that this was coming down the pike and knew they woukd make a small fortune selling this land to the State.

There is nothing positive about this, it is not needed and just a waste of money and energy,

Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 AM

104 posts, read 304,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Stop and think about those who will lose their land and their homes. Stop and think about those who have bought land adjacent to the parkway, knowing that this was coming down the pike and knew they woukd make a small fortune selling this land to the State.

There is nothing positive about this, it is not needed and just a waste of money and energy,
Again imo its about your perception. Unfortunately people lose their homes everyday as a result of GROWTH. The county has been struggling since the mid 90's when we lost a ton of manufacturing jobs. The county needs to move forward those cotton mill jobs aren't coming back. Change is good imo!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntice View Post
I'm about 2 miles across the county line into Cleveland County. It sounded good at first, until I thought about it.

Think about the route. It will start at 485 & wander through southern Gaston County, cross 321, then continue to wander northwest, cross 74 between Archie Whiteside Road & exit 10 of 85, then continue north to Bessemer City. You pay a toll by the mile. Who in their right mind will use this road to meander through southern Gaston County? Interstate truckers will take it, & once they realize that getting off on 74 will get them spitting distance from exit 10, they won't go to the end in Bessemer City.

This will catch truckers coming from Charlotte or Columbia who would normally go through Gastonia on I 85 southbound & then, once they realize the logisitcs, dump them on 74 There's a reason that just about everything from Archie Whiteside Road to exit 10 is up for sale. This fixes nothing. The only purpose is to line the pockets of a couple of crooked politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte