Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,978,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I don't think the politicians really care whether same sex are able to marry or not. they are using people's passions to get increased campaign contributions and retain their own power.

good hearted people are being used. IMO
That is so true!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,034,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ETA: until folks are willing to accept that many churches truly believe homosexuality is an abomination against God and a crime against society--and a morally reprehensible choice that sick people make--they are beating their heads against the wall. Not everyone believes folks are born gay or straight and there are studies to suggest that it is a choice, just as there are studies that suggest it is genetic. Just b/c you stand on one side of those beliefs, it doesn't give you the right to denigrate and discount those who believe differently.

Let's not forget: religious freedom is a civil right, too.
Ones religious freedom ends where others' civil rights begin. Folks who believe such tripe and try to affect public policy using it should not be taken seriously, but ridiculed and shunned.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM

18,477 posts, read 7,136,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
But, ani, it's not a simple disagreement over opinions. If it was, there wouldn't be this uproar. If we could agree to disagree, this Amendment would never have been put on the ballot. It's a deliberate attempt to restrict the rights of one class of citizens. It was started by those who wanted to take those rights away. How do have a dialogue with people who would consider this acceptable?

Opinions are opinions. But when they are used to reinforce the already unequal position of a minority of citizens. Are they and their allies not allowed to defend themselves?

No one is taking rights away from anyone.
As far I am aware it has never been legal for a man to marry another man or a woman to marry another woman in this state.
You can not take away rights that never existed in the first place.

Funny....straight people can't marry those of the same sex either.....but no one ever points that out lol.

Listen, I really could not care less about this issue.
If gay people want to marry....fine, let them get married as far as I'm concerned.
There are WAY bigger and more important issues facing the country right now and this is just being used as a distraction from those issues as well as trying to demonize some while buying votes from others.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 AM

441 posts, read 1,491,555 times
Coped, what ani said was very fair and reworded I would have approached the vote differently!
It my right to vote how I feel too!
Stop arguing for the sake of arguing. I do admire your passion though. The country needs more of it

Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,034,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
No one is taking rights away from anyone.
As far I am aware it has never been legal for a man to marry another man or a woman to marry another woman in this state.
You can not take away rights that never existed in the first place.
This amendment was not just about gay marriage. It affects every domestic union in the state. It also ends domestic partner benefits for government employees.

Quote:
Funny....straight people can't marry those of the same sex either.....but no one ever points that out lol.
Not getting the joke.

Quote:
Listen, I really could not care less about this issue.
If gay people want to marry....fine, let them get married as far as I'm concerned.
There are WAY bigger and more important issues facing the country right now and this is just being used as a distraction from those issues as well as trying to demonize some while buying votes from others.
Sure. Remember who started this and whose votes they were trying to buy and who they were demonizing. The demonized have a right to defend themselves.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM

18,477 posts, read 7,136,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
One thing I see that annoys me is the continued assumption that stupid people were the only ones voting for A1. I have a hard time understanding this argument. Am I to take from this that most rural people are not intelligent enough to come to a decision on their own? Do the intellectually superior folks out there feel they should be the only ones with a vote? If you want to be mad about the result, perhaps be upset that your like-minded voters didn't turn out to vote. It has been trending that more people are now living in cities rather than rural areas. Between Raleigh, Cary, Charlotte, Boone, etc. there should have been more than enough people to achieve the desired result. Instead, they didn't get out to vote, OR they did get out to vote and didn't agree with the anti-A1 side. But, I bet f you keep calling the pro-A1 crowd stupid, they will surely change their stance. Being insulted always makes me want to agree with someone.

Again, I am just pointing things out from a nuetral position.

Well said.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,989,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ETA: until folks are willing to accept that many churches truly believe homosexuality is an abomination against God and a crime against society--and a morally reprehensible choice that sick people make--they are beating their heads against the wall. Not everyone believes folks are born gay or straight and there are studies to suggest that it is a choice, just as there are studies that suggest it is genetic. Just b/c you stand on one side of those beliefs, it doesn't give you the right to denigrate and discount those who believe differently.

Let's not forget: religious freedom is a civil right, too.
Let us not forget that the "excuse" of the Church has been used to deny rights for a very long time. You mention local family members, how about some from the past? My grandfather, born in the 1890s, who was a lifelong member of one of the local ARP Presbyterian churches believed that God intended women to stay at home and have babies. I remember hearing him say that the nation went to hell after women were given the vote. This was his religious belief and one shared my many men of his day. It wasn't that long ago that mixed race marriage was illegal in the South for the same reasons.

I am against the legislation of religious beliefs that discriminate. We often decry it here in the USA when it's practiced in other countries where we might call it something like Islamic extremism. But we are also the biggest hypocrites in the world when the same happens in this country and for all practical purposes could be called Christian extremism. Whether it be called Islamic or Christian extremism, i.e. religious extremism, the codification of religious beliefs into laws that deny rights is wrong.

People should take note of their religious history. The South is primarily Protestant. The word comes from those who were protestors, i.e. protestants of the legal abuses of the Catholic church during the middle ages.

The measure however was voted on in a fair manner and I also accept that even though IMO it was a horrible move by the state, the people who voted (fell) for it and the underhanded politicians who placed something like this on the ballot. In this particular case it was a moot point. In North Carolina marriage of Gays & Lesbians was never legal in the first place. It changes nothing but the issue divides and distracts the population, gives NC a black eye on a global basis, and was a big waste of time over an issue which will eventually be decided by the Supreme Ct. anyway.

Last edited by frewroad; 05-14-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM

335 posts, read 701,560 times
Quote:
I point this out all the time. Why can't 2 old maids living together get a tax break, or be able to assign one another as next of kin?
This finally gets to the real issue.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,343,203 times
Actually, in reality...I live in the Great Lakes region and in a state that passed a pro-traditional marriage amendment by a landslide several years ago, along with the states that border ours. I know dozens of people personally who have relocated to NC for various reasons, and if anything, the passage of this amendment will only make NC MORE attractive to people from up here, not less. You may lose a few New Englanders, New Yorkers, or Californians, but honestly, if you look at the number of states that have passed marriage amendments very similar to the one that just passed in your state, you would see that there are a lot more Americans who agree with it than are against it, so why would they want to avoid NC when the vote there proved that your state is more like minded with the state they are coming from and what they are used to, not less?

If liberals really want to avoid states that have passed marriage amendments just to make some sort of point, then they are going to have to avoid a lot of very nice states with a lot of great amenities, which is kind of silly, if you think about it.

Last edited by canudigit; 05-14-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,693,148 times
Why would a straight person want to marry the same sex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte