Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
It wasn't a state holiday so I guess the whole state is stupid.
The stupids are the ones that went to check their mailboxes today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Southern schools and govts. have not traditionally celebrated Presidents' Day or Columbus Day. Even the systems that didn't hold class today used it for a teacher workday and not a straight holiday. It's all a very recent change.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You said there was no such thing as "Presidents Day". That's not true everywhere. Yes it's not true here either.
You are making no sense. My post was pretty clear so I assume you are stating this only for the purpose of creating argument where none is present. The topic is about Union county schools. If you can demonstrate an official holiday, called Presidents Day, that would apply to Union county, then I will correct my post.

Otherwise, the correct name of the Holiday is Washington's Birthday and it celebrates George Washington. It's an worthy holiday, but not one, IMO, that deserves that government, banksters and let alone the schools, should take off at the publics expense.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
I guess I'm stupid, because I pulled up to my mailbox and looked inside like I do every day. No mail in there and more importantly, no snakes either.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Yes. I believe in getting history correct.

I might be wrong, but the Union county in question is not in Pennsylvania.
Why am I bothering, but the point was that perhaps the OP moved here from a state that DOES call it Presidents' Day and was thusly confused. Also, what does calling it Washington's Birthday vs. Presidents' Day have to do with history? If the point is to honor past POTUS', then why not call it Presidents' Day.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I did not check my mailbox and actually thought the kids were out today (Union County.) I guess not.

But I was very surprised to see the UPS truck coming down my street at 6pm to deliver a package to my neighbors.

Quote:

Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
When I first started teaching, we had two holidays in Feb, Washington's birthday and Lincoln's birthday.

When MLK day started, they combined both presidents birthdays into one and called it Presidents' Day. In our district it was in the 90s but I can't remember the exact year.

So, yes, it is technically Washington's Birthday, but is now a combined birthday party for two presidents.

Quote:
You are making no sense. My post was pretty clear so I assume you are stating this only for the purpose of creating argument where none is present. The topic is about Union county schools. If you can demonstrate an official holiday, called Presidents Day, that would apply to Union county, then I will correct my post.

Otherwise, the correct name of the Holiday is Washington's Birthday and it celebrates George Washington. It's an worthy holiday, but not one, IMO, that deserves that government, banksters and let alone the schools, should take off at the publics expense.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I did not check my mailbox and actually thought the kids were out today (Union County.) I guess not.

But I was very surprised to see the UPS truck coming down my street at 6pm to deliver a package to my neighbors.
Ya, they deliver today and MLK day. They use the holidays as an excuse to deliver your packages late, though. I get packages almost every single day that are supposed to be delivered by 10:30 am. On holidays that UPS recognizes but does not observe, delivery is not guaranteed until before noon. At least that is what our driver always tells us.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
So, yes, it is technically Washington's Birthday, but is now a combined birthday party for two presidents.
It's not "technically", it IS Washington's Birthday holiday. Teachers should not be making up things and teaching it as fact.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
It's not "technically", it IS Washington's Birthday holiday. Teachers should not be making up things and teaching it as fact.
Well, hopefully they are teaching that is the Federal name for the holiday and that states have the right to call it whatever they want, or to simply not observe it all. State's rights and all that rot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte