Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 04:37 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Anybody interested in Wegmans news WSOC will have a special report on 5:00 Eyewitness News Thursday evening on Channel 9. Looks like they are visiting the Raleigh area stores. But not sure if there will be an update if they are planning to come to Charlotte.
I don't think that Charlotte will get one until the new distribution center is built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 05:19 PM

425 posts, read 418,689 times
I stopped by the new LIDL on south Tryon. I must be spoiled with Gastonia's store, because that one is usually lightly attended, and the parking lot is far in excess of what the store needs. The Tryon store was quite busy. I think they stocked it with more upscale frozen foods and freezers than Gastonia's store too.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I stopped by the new LIDL on south Tryon. I must be spoiled with Gastonia's store, because that one is usually lightly attended, and the parking lot is far in excess of what the store needs. The Tryon store was quite busy. I think they stocked it with more upscale frozen foods and freezers than Gastonia's store too.
I've been at the Gastonia Lidl when the parking lot was nearly filled and in the store it was very busy. I think it depends on the time of day and weekly sales.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:36 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't think that Charlotte will get one until the new distribution center is built.
That point was mentioned in the WSOC report by Joe Bruno. He is a native of the Philadelphia region and is familiar with Wegmans. The consumer analyst interviewed said he felt it was all but certain that Wegmans would come to Charlotte sooner than later due to attractive demographics and an abundance of northeastern transplants. Already there is a Charlotte Facebook group supporting Wegmans and local shoppers who make weekend trips to Wegmans in the Triangle region. One traveling shopper interviewed said he loved his Ingles and Harris Teeter, but stated Wegmans is on a whole other level. So maybe in another year or so once the Triangle market is firmly established and the distro center is completed, we will see Wegmans arrive in Charlotte. And watch Harris Teeter and Publix up their game. And then could Greenville, SC or Asheville be next?

Old 05-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
That point was mentioned in the WSOC report by Joe Bruno. He is a native of the Philadelphia region and is familiar with Wegmans. The consumer analyst interviewed said he felt it was all but certain that Wegmans would come to Charlotte sooner than later due to attractive demographics and an abundance of northeastern transplants. Already there is a Charlotte Facebook group supporting Wegmans and local shoppers who make weekend trips to Wegmans in the Triangle region. One traveling shopper interviewed said he loved his Ingles and Harris Teeter, but stated Wegmans is on a whole other level. So maybe in another year or so once the Triangle market is firmly established and the distro center is completed, we will see Wegmans arrive in Charlotte. And watch Harris Teeter and Publix up their game. And then could Greenville, SC or Asheville be next?
LOL, every time Joe Bruno opens his mouth I'm reminded where he comes from. He said that his mother goes to Wegmans daily, which means that she's no longer living in the city, or she's near a border.

I suspect that the next Wegmans in NC outside of the Triangle will be Greensboro, then Charlotte. My only question for the Charlotte market is who gets the western location, Gastonia or Kings Mountain. Then they will go to Asheville, Spartanburg, and Greenville, if they decide to go to South Carolina. Or. . . They'll go back to the east to Wilmington then to Myrtle Beach and Charleston. If Florida is their goal, I don't think that they'll mess with Atlanta, until some later point.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:33 PM

43 posts, read 96,781 times
Keep in mind that Wegmans opens only a few stores per year, like 3 or 4 at the most. So although I think they will eventually get to the places you've mentioned, it's going to be quite a few years.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk55 View Post
Keep in mind that Wegmans opens only a few stores per year, like 3 or 4 at the most. So although I think they will eventually get to the places you've mentioned, it's going to be quite a few years.
That's been discussed. Still, it's not happening here until the Virginia distribution center is built. After that it's all up for speculation.

They tend to move in a straightforward manner, but not always.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
That's been discussed. Still, it's not happening here until the Virginia distribution center is built. After that it's all up for speculation.

They tend to move in a straightforward manner, but not always.
The grocery expert interviewed by Joe Bruno said sooner than later for Wegmans to come to Charlotte and that it was almost certain they would expand there next due to very desirable demographics and consumer demand. So its seems once the distribution center is built they will be looking to come to Charlotte if the speculation is realized.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
The grocery expert interviewed by Joe Bruno said sooner than later for Wegmans to come to Charlotte and that it was almost certain they would expand there next due to very desirable demographics and consumer demand. So its seems once the distribution center is built they will be looking to come to Charlotte if the speculation is realized.
Joe Bruno did an excellent video package.

They usually go into an area and plant a few stores then move on. What they did in the Triangle is unusual for them, but they've gone into a more spread out area. They planted a handful of stores in the Philadelphia suburbs then moved on, but they kept coming back to add. Heck, they're adding a store in the Wilmington Delaware area that will be the first Wegmans in Delaware.

It would make sense for them to drop a store in Greensboro on their way to Charlotte. On the other hand, they may head straight to Charlotte. It's hard to say. Coming to Charlotte will mean leaving the I95 corridor where they've been planting stores for about 20 years. I sincerely doubt that they'll go south on 95 from Raleigh. Their ultimate aim is to get to Florida, so they'll be headed south on 95, but they'll take the fork in the road for 85 to get to Charlotte. Once they plant stores in the Charlotte market I suspect that they'll go to Wilmington NC then potentially Spartanburg, Greenville, Ashville, Winston-Salem, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston I don't know about other locations in SC. But dropping a store in Savannah gets them almost to Florida, whereas Atlanta would hold them up. With Florida as their goal, I would guess that they'd start planting stores in the Atlanta area after they get into Florida. The Triangle and Charlotte have much better demographics for them.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Joe Bruno did an excellent video package.

They usually go into an area and plant a few stores then move on. What they did in the Triangle is unusual for them, but they've gone into a more spread out area. They planted a handful of stores in the Philadelphia suburbs then moved on, but they kept coming back to add. Heck, they're adding a store in the Wilmington Delaware area that will be the first Wegmans in Delaware.

It would make sense for them to drop a store in Greensboro on their way to Charlotte. On the other hand, they may head straight to Charlotte. It's hard to say. Coming to Charlotte will mean leaving the I95 corridor where they've been planting stores for about 20 years. I sincerely doubt that they'll go south on 95 from Raleigh. Their ultimate aim is to get to Florida, so they'll be headed south on 95, but they'll take the fork in the road for 85 to get to Charlotte. Once they plant stores in the Charlotte market I suspect that they'll go to Wilmington NC then potentially Spartanburg, Greenville, Ashville, Winston-Salem, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston I don't know about other locations in SC. But dropping a store in Savannah gets them almost to Florida, whereas Atlanta would hold them up. With Florida as their goal, I would guess that they'd start planting stores in the Atlanta area after they get into Florida. The Triangle and Charlotte have much better demographics for them.
Do we think long term they are interested in Florida? I guess because of an abundance of Northeastern and Mid Atlantic vacationers and transplants that makes that an attractive region. Wawa has skipped from Virginia over the Carolinas and Georgia and opened in Florida. But of course they have some sort of noncompete agreement to avoid QuikTrip territory.

But Florida has room for more supermarket competitors. Publix dominates, along with Walmart and the remains of Winn-Dixie. Only one Harris Teeter near Jacksonville. Albertsons and Food Lion pulled out. So could be a good long term move for Wegmans, but that may be a stretch from the Virginia distribution center. We'll see if they get to Charlotte first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte