Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2023, 06:05 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
Food Lion is rapidly taking over IGA stores... For NC, at least, IGA was one of the last local-distribution grocery stores... Like Galaxy, BI-LO, and WinnDixie before it...

The problem with Food Lion: If you've seen one you've seen them all... Affluent location will have bigger variety, but from same brands...

Example: The breakfast sausage brands at IGA are/were usually processed and distributed within 400 miles of the store. This made the brand and product variety better, and usually better quality...
You are dead on about Food Lion. There are differences between locations like Wesley Chapel (the closest one I found that sells Pender Smoked Sausage, used to go to Harrisburg and even Salisbury for it) and ones like in Pineville and Monroe Rd. But it is basically the same far less than impressive thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 09:07 AM

447 posts, read 372,878 times
I really don't like the Food Lion in Cornelius. It is very basic as usual, the employees are the most unfriendly I have seen an any grocery store, but I will say this. They have a selection of foreign items in their foreign item section that is better than all others in the town. Nevertheless, I practically never shop there.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:54 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
I wonder if they really are gonna leapfrog from Chapel Hill to Charlotte, or are they simultaneously planning locations in Greensboro or Winston-Salem.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:51 PM

743 posts, read 825,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I wonder if they really are gonna leapfrog from Chapel Hill to Charlotte, or are they simultaneously planning locations in Greensboro or Winston-Salem.
I would think it's a strong possibility when you consider the lack of space that fit their preferred demographics within Mecklenburg proper.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:14 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
Quote:
Have they built the distribution center to enable them to support Wegman's here in Charlotte? I can't wait for one to arrive in the CLT area - we had one in the Dulles area in VA, and it was crowded, but it was worth it. Harris Teeter and all the rest of them don't compare in any way to a Wegman's. The deli/bakery/cheese/meat area alone blows the competition out of the water.

Old 02-09-2023, 04:02 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Have they built the distribution center to enable them to support Wegman's here in Charlotte? I can't wait for one to arrive in the CLT area - we had one in the Dulles area in VA, and it was crowded, but it was worth it. Harris Teeter and all the rest of them don't compare in any way to a Wegman's. The deli/bakery/cheese/meat area alone blows the competition out of the water.
I believe they have plans for a Richmond area distribution center to support their expansion further south. Not sure if it is operational yet.

While I am very satisfied with the offerings of Harris Teeter and Publix, I am sure Wegmans is a big step up in the game. I know it was a big upgrade in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC, which for years were dominated by Giant and Safeway in the mid tier, then Harris Teeter came along as a more upscale improvement. Then Wegmans became even more of a game changer. Hopefully they will come on down to Charlotte as industry sources predict. Now if Roy Rogers would just come on down as well and make their return to NC.

Old 02-09-2023, 04:06 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
Industry experts such as Phil Lempert predict Wegmans will target Charlotte as their next major market for expansion, after Raleigh. Then perhaps infill Greensboro and Winston-Salem, and possibly add an outerlying location in Greenville, SC as an extension from Charlotte.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:58 AM

447 posts, read 372,878 times
Does anyone honestly feel that this metro area is lacking in the abundance of grocery stores? When I lived in Boston, I shopped at Stop and Shop. It was big in that area but as I see it, one grocery store is not much different than others. I preferred Harris or Publix. My favorite has been the Euro like grocer out of Asheville (I can't think of the name and there is one in Huntersville) and Whole Foods. They seem to have set the trend for quality grocery shopping today. Unless Wegmans has a better selection of exotic items or things I can't get in this area, I can't be excited about their arrival. By the way I have no problem getting anything I need. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to drive eight or ten miles for certain Asian item. I hope that they can provide fried chicken as good as Publix and I only eat it once a month or less.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I believe they have plans for a Richmond area distribution center to support their expansion further south. Not sure if it is operational yet.

While I am very satisfied with the offerings of Harris Teeter and Publix, I am sure Wegmans is a big step up in the game. I know it was a big upgrade in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC, which for years were dominated by Giant and Safeway in the mid tier, then Harris Teeter came along as a more upscale improvement. Then Wegmans became even more of a game changer. Hopefully they will come on down to Charlotte as industry sources predict. Now if Roy Rogers would just come on down as well and make their return to NC.
When I worked in McLean we had one on the corner not far from my work place - I went there for lunch once and it was pretty good. It closed down and later became a McD's I think.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister2 View Post
Does anyone honestly feel that this metro area is lacking in the abundance of grocery stores? When I lived in Boston, I shopped at Stop and Shop. It was big in that area but as I see it, one grocery store is not much different than others. I preferred Harris or Publix. My favorite has been the Euro like grocer out of Asheville (I can't think of the name and there is one in Huntersville) and Whole Foods. They seem to have set the trend for quality grocery shopping today. Unless Wegmans has a better selection of exotic items or things I can't get in this area, I can't be excited about their arrival. By the way I have no problem getting anything I need. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to drive eight or ten miles for certain Asian item. I hope that they can provide fried chicken as good as Publix and I only eat it once a month or less.
I don't like Wegman's for everyday groceries (though it's okay). The bakery, deli, Hotbar, cheese selection, and meat section (wagyu steak/beef - if you want it) put it on another level. Once you've experienced those things in a grocery store, HT, Publix, and any other place, don't compare. Those things may not be important to you, and that's ok, but when they are important to others, they miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte