Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 04:49 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
When I lived in California 20 years ago, I had the same impression of Albertson's. It was just so "average" that I would usually either go to Food4Less to save, or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for specialty items. I can't see them being a player here if they have not changed.
I don't see Albertsons coming to Charlotte. They pulled out of Florida, although I believe they now operate Safeway which still has stores in Maryland and Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 11:49 AM

445 posts, read 413,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
Yes, that one, and a few others on 85 north of Salisbury. I have relatives in Greensboro and drive that way often. Although I usually stop at the QT's in Mooresville or Concord for a break.
There is a Sheetz in Troutman right off I-77. I do wonder if they are interested in opening more in the Charlotte area. Sheetz and Wawa have been staking claim to territory as they both move south. Sheetz tends to stick west or along the I-81/77 corridor while Wawa is hardcore I-95. "Technically", I suppose Charlotte should be Sheetz territory and they've already claimed Iredell county. It'll be interesting to see if Wawa tries to enter the market as well.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:18 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
There is a Sheetz in Troutman right off I-77. I do wonder if they are interested in opening more in the Charlotte area. Sheetz and Wawa have been staking claim to territory as they both move south. Sheetz tends to stick west or along the I-81/77 corridor while Wawa is hardcore I-95. "Technically", I suppose Charlotte should be Sheetz territory and they've already claimed Iredell county. It'll be interesting to see if Wawa tries to enter the market as well.
Sheetz has made it Far East of 77 in this state. They go from Greenville to Goldsboro out east. They recently opened one in Fayetteville. I haven’t seen them go too far below I-40, US 64, or US 70 (depending on what part of the state you’re in) so one or two of those roads could be seen as the cutoff.

Since the plans for Buc-ee’s fell through in Orange County, I kind of want to see them put a location off 77 in Iredell County of 85 closer to the Rowan-Cabarrus line.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 06-09-2021 at 04:33 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 12:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
There will be a grand opening of a new Lidl at 615 West Mallard Creek Church Road on June 16th.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:03 AM

60 posts, read 44,133 times
My useless opinion(s):

I'm originally from Florida - Publix is still my favorite - best pharmacy prices. I often have my groceries delivered by Club Publix - Instacart. MedDrop was delivering my Publix prescriptions until they stopped delivering in my area - bummed.

Recall the A&P at Park Road Shopping Center as we visited relatives in the area back in the day - my memories go back to 1959. The area Hannafords were really nice and my local favorite when I first moved here.

Stepped into the new Harris Teeter off of Brookshire Blvd. recently - a palace! The last HTs I stepped foot in were dumps with horrible employees - fresh off the bus from Brooklyn, NY and a crap attitude. Worked briefly at the HT distribution center in Indian Trail - equally horrible. Changed owners since.

Food Lions are everywhere and easily accessible.

Have shopped at Wegman's while in New York - palaces! Will check them out if one opens here in Charlotte.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:01 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean1996 View Post
My useless opinion(s):

I'm originally from Florida - Publix is still my favorite - best pharmacy prices. I often have my groceries delivered by Club Publix - Instacart. MedDrop was delivering my Publix prescriptions until they stopped delivering in my area - bummed.

Recall the A&P at Park Road Shopping Center as we visited relatives in the area back in the day - my memories go back to 1959. The area Hannafords were really nice and my local favorite when I first moved here.

Stepped into the new Harris Teeter off of Brookshire Blvd. recently - a palace! The last HTs I stepped foot in were dumps with horrible employees - fresh off the bus from Brooklyn, NY and a crap attitude. Worked briefly at the HT distribution center in Indian Trail - equally horrible. Changed owners since.

Food Lions are everywhere and easily accessible.

Have shopped at Wegman's while in New York - palaces! Will check them out if one opens here in Charlotte.
To agree and summarize: Publix and Harris Teeter are nice with good quality and selection, Food Lion caters to the masses with convenient and accessible stores, and still waiting for Wegmans to come.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:57 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,844 times
I'm surprised Wegmans hasn't planned a store for the Charlotte area yet. They keep adding stores in the Raleigh Durham area.

What do you think the likelihood of them opening one in the area is and if they do when do you envision it coming?

Old 07-14-2021, 09:30 AM

60 posts, read 44,133 times
Cool Wegman's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I'm surprised Wegmans hasn't planned a store for the Charlotte area yet. They keep adding stores in the Raleigh Durham area.

What do you think the likelihood of them opening one in the area is and if they do when do you envision it coming?
With the long anticipated economic slowdown thrust upon us by the scamdemic, I would be surprised if a high end grocer like Wegman's expands much at all in the forseeable future. I've been attracted to the Publix formula of 'all around goodness' for a long, long time. Not 'high end' but a darned good selection and excellent service. Publix has an interesting history in Jacksonville, FL, my previous home of 34 years.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post

Raleigh and Richmond were stretching it for Wegmans. Their distribution center is in northern Pennsylvania.

Wegmans procured land for a new distribution center near Richmond. Charlotte is off the table until after the new distribution center is built.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean1996 View Post
With the long anticipated economic slowdown thrust upon us by the scamdemic, I would be surprised if a high end grocer like Wegman's expands much at all in the forseeable future. I've been attracted to the Publix formula of 'all around goodness' for a long, long time. Not 'high end' but a darned good selection and excellent service. Publix has an interesting history in Jacksonville, FL, my previous home of 34 years.
I went into the Publix in Gastonia. It was OK, but the prices were high. I go to Ingles. The prices are much better thab Publix and the quality is much better than Food Lion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte