Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 08:22 PM

425 posts, read 418,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Isn't the nearest Sheetz in Salisbury or Statesville somewhere? Not really located in the main Charlotte metro.
Yes, that one, and a few others on 85 north of Salisbury. I have relatives in Greensboro and drive that way often. Although I usually stop at the QT's in Mooresville or Concord for a break.

Locally - it's gonna be QT or 7-11 usually for a coffee.

7-11 seems to be undergoing some refurbishment lately, their locations seem a little better than what I remember as a kid. They've opened a couple of new ones in Gaston county - one in Dallas, and another under construction at New Hope / Franklin in Gastonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 05:56 AM

66 posts, read 58,744 times
Charlotte needs a health coop market. Seriously where do you go? I'm surprised at the lack of those things in such a city.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:25 AM

I have not heard of a co-op, but Charlotte is certainly the most "foodie" city around the area, until you get to Raleigh.

There are many "shop local" produce outlets though. There's a large farmer's market.

https://www.charlottesgotalot.com/bl...ets-shop-local

Old 06-01-2021, 02:04 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
Who said Florida was their goal, where do you get that from?
I addressed that up thread a bit. I've seen it several times in different places.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-01-2021 at 02:31 AM..

Old 06-01-2021, 02:31 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
Charlotte needs a health coop market. Seriously where do you go? I'm surprised at the lack of those things in such a city.
Did you google it? Googling health food co-ops Charlotte brings up results.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:18 AM

571 posts, read 547,994 times
Fresh Market was selected as number *1 grocer in the U.S. It is a pretty typical high class European store. I like them but they are a bit pricy. I don't know why they are number one. I like them O.K. but I prefer Harris Teeter.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:39 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,695,698 times
I like getting some of the unique and special items at Fresh Market and they had a good meat counter, but the employees at the two locations near me are miserable and grumpy. The Dilworth location seems to have more upbeat employees. I know Fresh Market has struggled with employee satisfaction and made some rankings for Worst Places to Work.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ahold Delhaize, if the acquisition is approved and completed, would implement changes as early as 2016. Food Lion would be an opportunity for improvement to reach a level with Giant Food of Maryland, Giant Food Stores, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop and Shop by providing the necessities of food and pharmacy, quality products and fresh foods through competitive low prices and excellent customer service.

Lowe's Foods, which announced its intent to enter the Greenville, South Carolina market four months ago, has been very quiet recently. I would question the decision to move into an adjacent region when Lowe's Foods has failed in the Charlotte region. Not confirming additional locations and no construction on one announced location could be a sign that expansion plans may be on hold. Although I like the enhanced service stations of Beer Den, Chicken Kitchen, Pick and Prep and Sausageworks, Lowe's Foods has opportunities to improve such as adding pharmacies to its stores. Few locations have fuel centers.

Southeastern Grocers, parent of Bi-Lo, and Ingle's Markets were mentioned in Supermarket News as chains up for acquisition and consolidation. Southeastern Grocers' footprint of approximately 800 stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee could be an attractive target for a major chain (i.e. Kroger, Albertson's) wanting to strengthen its position in the southeastern United States.

Walmart Neighborhood Market is doing well to succeed. It always has opportunities for improvement in offering quality products and fresh foods at competitive low prices and excellent customer service. Walmart Express stores that converted to Walmart Neighborhood Market could use improvements with the addition of bakery, delicatessen, meat and produce departments, or they could revert back to Walmart Express to focus as a convenience store instead of a supermarket.

Publix confirmed two weeks ago it will open a store in New Bern in 2016. This is a bold move considering stores in Fayetteville, Greenville and Wilmington have not been announced yet. Burlington, Chapel Hill, Durham, Goldsboro, Greensboro, Hickory, High Point, Jacksonville, Kannapolis, Kinston, Rocky Mount and Wilson are also speculated to be on Publix's radar. As Publix's Charlotte Divison grows into new markets and through additional stores, it would be beneficial to consider a distribution center to serve the division. Charlotte Division stores are served by the Atlanta Division's facilities in Austell and Lawrenceville, Georgia.

Further reading:
Zwiebach, Elliot. "Consolidation: Southeastern, publicly held conventionals could be next." Supermarket News. 2015-07-06.
Interesting info. Harris Teeter is owned by Kroger's now. Harris Teeter is Kroger's "A" store. I remember recently the grocer Stop and Shop being on the bottom of the list. I used to shop there when I lived in Boston. The only good thing was that rotisserie chickens were a dollar cheaper. Up here in Cornelius, we seem to have as many grocery stores as bars, in other words, quite a few. We're good up here. I personally don't see how "Albertson's would" strengthen our position. They are pretty average.. Honestly, I don't believe that the Mecklenburg metro is hurting in grocery venues thankfully.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I like getting some of the unique and special items at Fresh Market and they had a good meat counter, but the employees at the two locations near me are miserable and grumpy. The Dilworth location seems to have more upbeat employees. I know Fresh Market has struggled with employee satisfaction and made some rankings for Worst Places to Work.
I have also notice that over the past year up here in Cornelius, things at Fresh Market have gone down the drain. The deli has food that appears to have been sitting out for a week, most of the counter helpers seem to wish they were doing something else, and things are coming out of the oven much later and slower. I suppose the help these days is calling the shots, not the supervisors. American pride is wasting away.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:54 AM

When I lived in California 20 years ago, I had the same impression of Albertson's. It was just so "average" that I would usually either go to Food4Less to save, or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for specialty items. I can't see them being a player here if they have not changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte