Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,561,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjh0329 View Post
I will be moving to Charlotte from the San Francisco Bay Area. I know in the South religion is more deeply rooted in people's daily lives compared to those in California. I was wondering how overt religion is in everyday life?

It is a culture here and a social thing. The first questions I was asked was what church do you belong to? Just a different culture, and a different way of life. You get to find out where you comfort level is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,770,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
These people are kidding you. If you don't pray at the entrance of every store, or at every intersection ...
So THAT'S why no one uses turn signals here.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Well, seeing as how the largest growing denomination here is the Roman Catholic Church and the members are basically made up of folks who have relocated here, I don't think the whole "Charlotte is full of Southerners who are church-goers" is accurate.

Just something to consider, folks.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 PM

985 posts, read 1,903,266 times
I will say that I haven't been asked what church we attend by anyone (been here just over a year)

my kids have been asked to go to church functions with other kids sometimes -- they go sometimes

what I find much different than any place I have lived is how much even in group conversations , people refer to god by either thanking him or whatever..for example I thank god our kids made this team...or things like it has all been god's plan ...I pray daily we get a new principal, athletic director etc (there are others too) lately I would say this happens in a conversation once a week

Last edited by uswith6; 03-04-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,976,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I will say that I haven't been asked what church we attend by anyone (been here just over a year)
How did we miss you? Where do you live or work and I will send someone over.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,025,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
what I find much different than any place I have lived is how much even in group conversations , people refer to god by either thanking him or whatever..for example I thank god our kids made this team...or things like it has all been god's plan ...I pray daily we get a new principal, athletic director etc (there are others too) lately I would say this happens in a conversation once a week
I agree. Those types are incredibly annoying, presumptuous and condescending. As if g-d gives a hoot what team your kids make or what athletic director your school has. I'm sure he has better things to do.

That seems to be a pretty new thing though. When I was growing up 20 years ago, the Southerners I was around saved talk of g-d for funerals, weddings, and serious sickness. Maybe it is still confined to those folks that go to "churches" that are more like amphitheaters where they talk about "getting saved" and have powerpoint presentations about the church budget.

For the most part, if you stay closer to the city, you don't have to deal with these bozos. They seem to be rampant in some of the burbs though.

Fortunately, many of them have taken to identifying themselves by bumper stickers. You will find this out when they cut you off, speed by you or otherwise make unsafe traffic moves (they are "saved" after all).

Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,025,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, seeing as how the largest growing denomination here is the Roman Catholic Church and the members are basically made up of folks who have relocated here, I don't think the whole "Charlotte is full of Southerners who are church-goers" is accurate.

Just something to consider, folks.
The recent evangelical movement (post-1980 or so) isn't limited to Southerners, but the culture of the South seems to support it pretty well.

You see a lot of growth in the Catholic churches but also in the nondenominational "churches" with catchy names that meet in movie theaters and other places.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The recent evangelical movement (post-1980 or so) isn't limited to Southerners, but the culture of the South seems to support it pretty well.

You see a lot of growth in the Catholic churches but also in the nondenominational "churches" with catchy names that meet in movie theaters and other places.
Very true on both points. The culture here does support church involvement and attendance and yes, there has been a mushroom effect with non-denominational churches here in Charlotte. In fact, the substantial and continuing growth has essentially been in the last 10 or so years. As the city has grown, so have the churches . . . which has to mean that newcomers are populating at least a high percentage of the rolls at these churches.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I agree. Those types are incredibly annoying, presumptuous and condescending. As if g-d gives a hoot what team your kids make or what athletic director your school has. I'm sure he has better things to do.

That seems to be a pretty new thing though. When I was growing up 20 years ago, the Southerners I was around saved talk of g-d for funerals, weddings, and serious sickness. Maybe it is still confined to those folks that go to "churches" that are more like amphitheaters where they talk about "getting saved" and have powerpoint presentations about the church budget.

For the most part, if you stay closer to the city, you don't have to deal with these bozos. They seem to be rampant in some of the burbs though.

Fortunately, many of them have taken to identifying themselves by bumper stickers. You will find this out when they cut you off, speed by you or otherwise make unsafe traffic moves (they are "saved" after all).
Now, now . . . that really WAS rather condescending, Coped.

There really are a lot of people who do pray daily and don't hesitate to profess that to others. I don't know if it is insincere or not - I take people at their face value.

It is also part of the colloquial language of the south to use the word "pray" for emphasis - such as "I pray that they figure a way out of this" . . . meaning nothing more than "I so wish" . . .

Seeing as how some religions actually pray in public several times a day, I don't see why anyone should find it offensive behavior for Christians to discuss that they pray, too.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,295,542 times
When my kids were younger, they participated heavily in the YMCA programs. I did have a problem with the team prayers before athletic events. Obviously the Y has a right to do this since they are a Christian organization, however my complaint is that there are few opportunities for non-religious families to participate in sports without religion being brought into it. There is really no organization with the same breadth of opportunities as the Y. I know at least one family who refused to have their kids do Y soccer because of the prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte