Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
When my kids were younger, they participated heavily in the YMCA programs. I did have a problem with the team prayers before athletic events. Obviously the Y has a right to do this since they are a Christian organization, however my complaint is that there are few opportunities for non-religious families to participate in sports without religion being brought into it. There is really no organization with the same breadth of opportunities as the Y. I know at least one family who refused to have their kids do Y soccer because of the prayers.
You have to understand something about the Y. Historically, this was not an inclusive institution. The YMCA was for men only, so if a community was big enough, there might be a YWCA. Catholics were allowed, usually, but not encouraged. The YM/YWHAs were in areas with enough Jewish population. I don't think that they were affiliated. This is recent history.

The organization is very different from what it used to be, within my lifetime. Maybe, the latest name change will mean an eventual shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,288 times
What's the latest name change? What's YMHA?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, it is a colloquial use of the word . . .

And as for the "blessed day" thing . . . that is just a way to say - I hope you have a day filled with blessings.

I don't understand why it bothers people so much about outward displays of ANY religion. Now, I AM bothered by street preachers standing on corners with placards they shove in my face - and having the peace disturbed w/ their sing songy voices over an intercom. But other than outward displays that make noise and disturb the peace, who cares . . . If someone is nice enough to ask me to attend their church, all I have to do is say - No thank you, but that was kind of you to ask!

I agree about the street preachers, Ani. I guess I'm spoiled. Philly had a group of Hari Krishnas who worked a corner in Center City for years. They chanted & used bells & tamborines while dancing in a circle. (no PA)

Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
What's the latest name change? What's YMHA?
The Y is now officially "The Y"

YM/YWHA = Young Men/Young Women's Hebrew Association.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,288 times
Hmm. Interesting. I grew up in a heavily Jewish area and never heard of YMHA. Just JCC.

Back to the OP - when I first moved here 17 years ago, a woman in my office "witnessed" to me. I had never heard the term or had anyone approach me wanting to talk about faith. I was verrrry uncomfortable. Being Catholic and from up north, I just didn't see this kind of thing. The woman was later fired because she spent more of her day reading the Bible and wanting to talk to people about religion than actually getting any work done.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,706,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjh0329 View Post
I will be moving to Charlotte from the San Francisco Bay Area. I know in the South religion is more deeply rooted in people's daily lives compared to those in California. I was wondering how overt religion is in everyday life?

In my experience, not that overt at all. In fact, only a small minority of our friends here even attend some type of regular church service, much less make religion an overt part of their daily lives.

There are plenty of us heathens here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You will be asked what church you attend, and you will be invited to church.!

Since moving here in 2008, we have never been asked either of those things even once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
So THAT'S why no one uses turn signals here.

God is their co-pilot.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Hmm. Interesting. I grew up in a heavily Jewish area and never heard of YMHA. Just JCC.

Back to the OP - when I first moved here 17 years ago, a woman in my office "witnessed" to me. I had never heard the term or had anyone approach me wanting to talk about faith. I was verrrry uncomfortable. Being Catholic and from up north, I just didn't see this kind of thing. The woman was later fired because she spent more of her day reading the Bible and wanting to talk to people about religion than actually getting any work done.
Maybe it's a MidAtlantic urban thing? I was aware of them in Philly & Baltimore

Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,856 times
here's some pics of one of the new churches. might be hard to tell how much land was cleared, but it disgusts me every day when I drive by it.
Attached Thumbnails
Religion in Charlotte-2_1.jpg   Religion in Charlotte-2_2.jpg   Religion in Charlotte-2_3.jpg   Religion in Charlotte-2_4.jpg   Religion in Charlotte-2_5.jpg  

Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
here's some pics of one of the new churches. might be hard to tell how much land was cleared, but it disgusts me every day when I drive by it.
I would assume that was basically wooded land at one time, right?

Well, churches build where there is enough land for the right price, I suppose. I am still just blown away that any church has the money to go into a building project right now. That says a lot about how many people are attending church in this area.

Just did a close up of that sign. I believe St. Michael's is the oldest AA episcopal church in this area (may be the oldest in NC) and they may have been working toward this building project for a long time. I am not episcopal so don't have much insight on their diocese and planning process.

Last edited by brokensky; 03-06-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post

Why does it disgust you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte