Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,752,986 times

Advertisements

These people are kidding you. If you don't pray at the entrance of every store, or at every intersection you are abducted, tortured and then crucified. Additionally, there are prayer booths every 100 feet on EVERY STREET, pass one at your peril. Finally, confessionals. One per block, generally. Even if the lines are long, do not pass one. Ever.

PS, we drop to the ground and face Jerusalem every 20 minutes, and pray, too. If you are the last in your group, you are flogged....Oops, gotta go, time to pray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:43 AM

291 posts, read 871,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
These people are kidding you. If you don't pray at the entrance of every store, or at every intersection you are abducted, tortured and then crucified. Additionally, there are prayer booths every 100 feet on EVERY STREET, pass one at your peril. Finally, confessionals. One per block, generally. Even if the lines are long, do not pass one. Ever.

PS, we drop to the ground and face Jerusalem every 20 minutes, and pray, too. If you are the last in your group, you are flogged....Oops, gotta go, time to pray.
Did somebody take an overdose of their "cynical pills" this morning?!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,854,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Hahahaha that's pretty funny. I can't even imagine that, being from NY/CT my whole life. I can't wait to visit NC!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,145,890 times
It's more overtly religious than California, but if you just roll with it it won't bother you. You will be asked what church you attend, and you will be invited to church. You will be told to "have a blessed day", and may see people praying at restaurants, etc. Most people mean well, and the hypocrites are pretty obvious, so don't worry!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM

645 posts, read 1,505,805 times
But you do know what Bless Your Heart Means??? &^^%^% YOU!!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,195,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjh0329 View Post
I will be moving to Charlotte from the San Francisco Bay Area. I know in the South religion is more deeply rooted in people's daily lives compared to those in California. I was wondering how overt religion is in everyday life?
It won't be thrown in your face here..no worries although it is MUCH more predominant here than it was up north.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,661,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
It's more overtly religious than California, but if you just roll with it it won't bother you. You will be asked what church you attend, and you will be invited to church. You will be told to "have a blessed day", and may see people praying at restaurants, etc. Most people mean well, and the hypocrites are pretty obvious, so don't worry!
+1 Couldn't rep ya again; I think this is spot on!

Charlotte's quite religiously diverse now. I think there's an assumption that people are Christian, but even that is changing as we grow.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjh0329 View Post
I will be moving to Charlotte from the San Francisco Bay Area. I know in the South religion is more deeply rooted in people's daily lives compared to those in California. I was wondering how overt religion is in everyday life?
Not very much. . .

This is the 3rd somewhat conservative sort of religious area that I've lived in. The main social differences boiled down to which denominations are most prevalent. I've spent time in California & it seemed much less religious, but that could have been just my experience.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,341,150 times
Never heard it before coming here, but I do appreciate it when someone tells me to "have a blessed day"

Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,517,776 times
Bless her/him is my absolute favorite saying since moving here...it can mean ANYTHING...eithor, really bless them...or she looks like a hot mess...bless her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte