Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
The officer shot the man in the back and none of the witnesses saw a gun. Given that police officers planted evidence in the past, doesn't this case make you raise your eyebrows even a little bit?
Nope. The gun was found within feet of his body. Witnesses were not as close as the officer and could not as easily see what he saw - some were down the street, some were across the street. He was only shot in the back because he was most likely turning his body just enough to aim at the officer but be able to keep forward motion. The officer beat him to the trigger, fortunately for him, unfortunately for the kid. Sometimes when you play with fire you get burnt - very sad, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I generally try to give the police the benefit of the doubt, especially considering:

The officers involved, I would assume, have no record of careless behavior, at least to a degree it is reported, as it would have been mentioned by now. They are sworn to uphold the laws, and enforce them, protect the public and property.

The criminal that was shot wrecked his car during a heated argument with his significant other; had a criminal record; ran from the scene of the accident; ran from the police when questioned.

Um, I would tend to come to the conclusion that, based on this, that the officers were in the right, especially considering there was a gun found near the body. The accounts of the "witnesses" in this case, in my opinion, are questionable, given the nature of the incident, and the racial climate that often exists in these instances.
Perhaps the officer just made a mistake? Speaking of the gun, is there any evidence linking it to the dead man?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
It is hardly straighforward. Do you mean to say that you think the officer murdered this man?
Not at all! A person fleeing a police officer with a weapon was shot and killed - seems pretty straight forward.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times
Quote:
Perhaps the officer just made a mistake? Speaking of the gun, is there any evidence linking it to the dead man?
I'm sure, by complete coincidence, that it was already lying on the ground.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Nope. The gun was found within feet of his body. Witnesses were not as close as the officer and could not as easily see what he saw - some were down the street, some were across the street. He was only shot in the back because he was most likely turning his body just enough to aim at the officer but be able to keep forward motion. The officer beat him to the trigger, fortunately for him, unfortunately for the kid. Sometimes when you play with fire you get burnt - very sad, but true.
I'm amazed that you see this in such black and white terms. I assume that you've never had a negative encounter with the police.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
We will not know all the facts for a while yet.

From the Observer article:

The Mecklenburg District's Attorney's Office has not decided whether Jester will face criminal charges and the SBI's investigation is still underway, a spokeswoman said Thursday. An internal police investigation has also not been completed.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I'm sure, by complete coincidence, that it was already lying on the ground.
IMO OJ was guilty as sin but that doesn't mean that Mark Fuhrman didn't plant any evidence.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I'm amazed that you see this in such black and white terms. I assume that you've never had a negative encounter with the police.
I am of course aware that in some places there are problems of this nature.

Charlotte, however, has not traditionally been a city with those kinds of problems. We have had a handful of rogue officers over the years to be exposed for various illicit, illegal or just wrong behavior - but those cases are not at all common.

The vast majority of police officers on our force are very professional, caring men and women who do their jobs well and don't get near enough thanks or pay for it. I will support Officer Jester until evidence to the contrary suggests I should do otherwise.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,726 times
Quote:
Speaking of the gun, is there any evidence linking it to the dead man?
That's a good question, maybe the answer will come out as this unfolds. Is there any reason to believe it was just laying there by coincidence, luckily for the officers who lied about what really happened? Would we like to think that the officers, assuming they are lying about this whole thing, planted the gun? I wouldn't. I still give them more credibility than the perp, something that should be done more often. And we wonder why criminals are so gutsy.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
What do I think really happened? A cop went home at the end of his shift, rather than to the morgue. I like to think of it as swift justice.
Just opened this thread. Very poignant words, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: