Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Does the OP think we, the C-D readers, are all prejudiced in some way? I'm just confused by his purposes!
In this case there are conflicting versions of what happened. The fact that almost every person here immediately decided that the police version of events was true tells me that CD posters have a preconceived notion that police are truthful. So yes, I would call that a prejudice.

You only need to look at the recent video of South Carolina troopers abusing motorists to know that law enforcement officers don't always act appropriately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 PM

348 posts, read 846,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
With great power comes great responsibility. That is all.
When the criminal Ellerbee went on trial for shooting Officer Hazrati, it was quite jaw-dropping to sit and watch this criminal interview the Officer on the witness stand. Who is the criminal here? So the criminal who shot the cop interrogates the cop he shot on the witness stand. I realize our justice system allows defendents to represent themselves, but this was hug-a-thug and criminal pampering in its fullest. The whole situation made me a bit angry. Then the criminal Ellerbee was whining about needing new clothes for trial (and he got them), and then he said he didn't feel well so they stopped the trial early that day, ai-yai-yai.

My opinion is the day this criminal shot Officer Hazrati, I am assuming other officers were witnesses to the shooting, that should have been the end of the story--he's guilty plain and simple. And then guess what--after the trial was over he was sentenced, but his mama got up there and said, "He's a good boy". Huh?? Oooyyyyyy

Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
In this case there are conflicting versions of what happened. The fact that almost every person here immediately decided that the police version of events was true tells me that CD posters have a preconceived notion that police are truthful. So yes, I would call that a prejudice.

You only need to look at the recent video of South Carolina troopers abusing motorists to know that law enforcement officers don't always act appropriately.

That was the South Carolina troopers, not the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department. The CMPD is professional.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtech123 View Post
all i know is that rev al sharpton should mind his own business and stop poking his nose into ever case that involves a person of color.
amen!!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have read this whole thread with interest. From the OP, who I thought was questioning the police version, to the others who tend to believe the police. I just don't understand the OP's purpose in starting this thread. He (or she) sure made it sound like a bad shooting. Does the belief that C-D is mostly white really matter? There have been plenty of self-identified black posters on the Charlotte board asking for help on various topics and they have gotten helped, just as anyone would. Does the OP think we, the C-D readers, are all prejudiced in some way? I'm just confused by his purposes!
Now, you probably think you are the only one that feels this way. Right? Wrong!
I feel that I am taking a reading comprehesion test everytime I go thru some of the OP and responses. Don't matter, the brandy is good and it makes me feel that I am contemplating the world's problems at hand just waiting for them to open my silly trap.
j

Old 07-26-2008, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,984 times
I hate the way that these things all get boiled down to a few seconds... Look at the whole scene. This guy was angry enough to wreck his car while fighting with "the mother of his child". Wrecking his car didn't bring him to his senses. Someone called 911 because they were in the street fighting. The cops showed up and the guy fled the scene of the accident. The officer in question found him and started talking to the guy to try and sort the whole thing out and more than anything help the victim of an accident. It's what they do. The guy had a gun on him and ran when the police tried to search him. Why did he run? Because he had a record (not "brushes with the law", a record) and that made having the gun in the first place a Felony. So, you have a guy running from a cop who's just trying to do his job and get a felon with a gun out of the street in a "quiet neighborhood" and the felon ends up getting shot. Personally, I don't CARE whether he was turning to shoot at the cop or not. He was a felon with a gun who, based on the circumstances leading up to the shooting, had no control of his temper and was unable to act in a civil manner. It would have been too simple for him to ditch the gun after fleeing the scene of the accident and before the police found him. He didn't. The whole incident shows a lack of respect for civil authority, for the people in his neighborhood and for anyone that might have wanted to help the guy. He was a thug.

That said, while I don't personally care I suspect that the policeman in question cared a great deal. I know a lot of cops personally. My mother was a cop. They don't go looking for people to shoot... ever. It's a stupid thing. Even when the shooting is justified you get reviewed and interviewed until you can't remember your name. You fill out reams of paperwork and if you're unlucky some idiot like Sharpton shows up and makes a media circus out of it just to glorify his own name. When a cop shoots someone even if it's completely justified it's not "fun" and it has the potential to end your career. I've seen situations where a policeman was supsended for shooting someone even after that person fired at and hit the officer that killed him. It's not something you just do because you don't like someone.

I carry a gun. When I am pulled over for anything... speeding, improper lane change, whatever... the FIRST thing I tell the cop is just that, "I can't get to my vehicle registration, I have a gun in the glove box". Oddly, I've never had an officer shoot me... go figure. Usually, they call for assistance, have the second officer remove the gun for me and then I get the paperwork that he needs. He writes me a ticket and they give my gun back. Nobody gets angry, nobody gets shot and nobody gets dead. Then again, I have my gun legally, I'm not a felon and you're not likely to find ME in the street screaming and threatening "the mother of my child" after having a wreck caused by my temper and you're not likely to find me fleeing the scene or an accident or an encounter with a policeman. In all of my "encounters" with the police, even when I was completely in the wrong, I've never been treated with anything but respect. That being the case, I can't justify treating them with anything but the same.

This is the same old stuff. We watch the Charlotte news every morning and quiver at the daily body count. We cry and scream that something must be done about this! We point at the police and ask them why they let thugs with guns roam our streets... and then we castigate them when they stop one rather than embrace them with thanks. Sucks to be a public servant I guess.

You can ask yourself the following:
Does being so involved in an argument that you wreck a car deserve a death sentence? No.
Does standing in the street screaming to the point that someone in the neighborhood feels threatened and calls the police justify a death sentence? No.
Does fleeing the scene of an accident justify a death sentence? No.
Does being a convict carrying a concealed weapon without a CCW justify a death sentence? No (unfortunately).
Does fleeing a police officer who's just doing his job and trying to help you justify a death sentence? No.
Does doing all of these things in the course of an hour make anyone who's sane think that maybe you didn't turn to shoot at a policeman with the gun that you were carrying? No.. not really.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
Quote:
The officer shot the man in the back and none of the witnesses saw a gun. Given that police officers planted evidence in the past, doesn't this case make you raise your eyebrows even a little bit?
turning does not mean standing down, a gun was in fact found near the body. a police officer is not required to take a bullet b4 he defends himself.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-26-2008 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:

Palmetto - one could say that stating what you just wrote is based on a preconceived (or prejudiced) notion.

I plainly stated - as did some other posters - that we watched things unfold and were reserving judgment until we heard Winchester's own father state that the gun that was found beside the slain young man was, indeed, his own gun!!!! Now that is what sealed the deal for me. I was watching and contemplating until I heard that statement from his own father!!!

Methinks you are trying too hard to prove your own pre-conceived notion of what C-D posters may - or may not - think.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
JINKSTO - that was a helluva good post. I enjoyed reading it and appreciate your sharing your thoughts. Thank you for posting and I hope you will stick around on the forum. Your thoughts added a lot to the discussion, IMO.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:30 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,216 times
Quote:

I don't think it's fair to say that the CD posters are prejudiced just because you think we decided that the police's version was correct.

1) Based on what we read, we made our own conclusions.
2) Even if some were more inclined to believe a police officer, it's bc they are in a position of authority and have some credibility. Most people aren't bad people, it's just a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.

If this person who was shot was a criminal and the officer was credible, then hands down I would believe the officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: