Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,525 times

Advertisements

What do you think really happened?

newsobserver.com | Charlotte autopsy released in police shooting (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/1145959.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post

newsobserver.com | Charlotte autopsy released in police shooting (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/1145959.html - broken link)
Sounds pretty straight forward, what is your question?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:00 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
The article stated that a handgun was found near the body. End of story. Just another thug with no respect for authority or the public. I hate that his family is dealing with a loss, but I'm not so sure how much of a loss society is dealing with. Al Sharpton, BTW, is a race baiter and needs to quit getting involved with justified shootings of criminals. It's no good for his "cause".

Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Unfortunately for the "witnesses," their credibility is next to nothing to me when every single thing that happens to a fellow black person is racists and they need to call in heavy artillery like Al Sharpton to further accuse and/or insinuate racism. God forbid the kid actually did something way wrong enough to warrant a police officer shooting them. People are all too quick to turn on the people that are sworn to protect them.

My brother is a cop for Orlando...a city with a strong black community and a black female police chief. They can't hardly lift a finger without it being called racist and complaints being issued to the chief. Thankfully, most of the frivolous claims get weeded out before they materialize into interfering with the officer's job or life.

Sorry...but when I see Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson in any news story, I instinctively take the other side of whatever they're preaching...because it's usually offensive towards non-black folks.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:04 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:

What do I think really happened? A cop went home at the end of his shift, rather than to the morgue. I like to think of it as swift justice.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 PM

++++ Hoagie

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 PM

The officer shot the man in the back and none of the witnesses saw a gun. Given that police officers planted evidence in the past, doesn't this case make you raise your eyebrows even a little bit?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Sorry...but when I see Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson in any news story, I instinctively take the other side of whatever they're preaching...because it's usually offensive towards non-black folks.
I'm not a fan of either man but nothing that Al Sharpton said was unreasonable. He simply wants the matter investigated by a disinterested party, i.e. not the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
The officer shot the man in the back and none of the witnesses saw a gun. Given that police officers planted evidence in the past, doesn't this case make you raise your eyebrows even a little bit?
I generally try to give the police the benefit of the doubt, especially considering:

The officers involved, I would assume, have no record of careless behavior, at least to a degree it is reported, as it would have been mentioned by now. They are sworn to uphold the laws, and enforce them, protect the public and property.

The criminal that was shot wrecked his car during a heated argument with his significant other; had a criminal record; ran from the scene of the accident; ran from the police when questioned.

Um, I would tend to come to the conclusion that, based on this, that the officers were in the right, especially considering there was a gun found near the body. The accounts of the "witnesses" in this case, in my opinion, are questionable, given the nature of the incident, and the racial climate that often exists in these instances.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sounds pretty straight forward, what is your question?
It is hardly straighforward. Do you mean to say that you think the officer murdered this man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: