Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM

302 posts, read 961,538 times

Advertisements

All i know is that Rev Al Sharpton should mind his own business and stop poking his nose into ever case that involves a person of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I will see if there is a clip somewhere w/ the info from the family that the kid owned that gun. I only saw this reported twice, right after the incident happened. Then, the family lawyered-up and end of those statements. I remember thinking at the time - AHHHHH- yes, they have been told to stop saying that the gun was, indeed, their son's . . . in order to build a better case for police brutality. In fact, my DH and I discussed that . . . and decided some attorney had advised them that there would be no investigation (and no chance for a lawsuit against the city) if doubt were not cast upon the gun's existence. After all, you have people saying they saw the incident (altho further questioning by reporters proved some of these people were at an angle or too far away to be accurate about a thing).

This whole thing has been escalated and made into a story b/c of attorneys, IMHO.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
All i know is that Rev Al Sharpton should mind his own business and stop poking his nose into ever case that involves a person of color.
Uhhhhh . . . ain't gonna happen. That is his job - the Politics of Grievance (not my term, btw - Jesse's and Al's term - learned it listening to them).

Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 AM

I am still searching for the video clip I saw, wh/ had the father saying that yes, that was his son's gun.

Here is a story I found, AFTER the family had gotten a lawyer. Please note what the father says. He does not DENY that his son had a gun on his person. He does not DENY that this was his son's gun. What he says is - no one SAW the boy reach for the gun. That is a very fine distinction. He is not saying the gun was not there - just disputing that his son REACHED FOR IT.

I am 100% convinced that the attorneys told the family that they had a case, regardless of the police being able to prove that gun was the kid's - b/c so many witnesses were willing to state that the boy did not have the gun in his hand at the time he was shot.

In my opinion, a bunch of hooey.

Witnesses dispute police shooting account 10:43 AM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-052308-krg-shooting.1fa43107.html - broken link)

"Nobody saw that boy reach for the gun," said Winchester's father, Ronald, who spent the day planning his son's funeral.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,845 times
I'm so tired of hearing these stories all the time. You'd think when a person starts to get older and grow up (no matter what their upbringing or circumstances were) that they would realize the difference between right and wrong.

I didn't grow up in the most ideal circumstances but as I got older I learned for myself what the difference between right and wrong was. And learned how the best way to act and behave.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 AM

I just sent an email to a reporter and asked why no one was including the father's earliest statement, saying the gun was his son's. I want to know why this is not being included in the latest coverage on this situation.

It changes the story significantly to have that key piece of info included - as otherwise - it suggests that the police "planted" the gun.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I'm so tired of hearing these stories all the time. You'd think when a person starts to get older and grow up (no matter what their upbringing or circumstances were) that they would realize the difference between right and wrong.

I didn't grow up in the most ideal circumstances but as I got older I learned for myself what the difference between right and wrong was. And learned how the best way to act and behave.
That's exactly what personal responsibility is all about! Too bad it cant be taught...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
"Nobody saw that boy reach for the gun," said Winchester's father, Ronald, who spent the day planning his son's funeral.
He wouldn't have had to spend his day like that if he had spent previous days with his son fishing, working on cars, camping, otherwise better fathering the kid and teaching him why it doesn't pay to be a thug. Just an assumption is all I'm saying...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
How old was the person who was shot? Just wondering.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,805 times
He was 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: