U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,823,075 times
Reputation: 377

Advertisements

we just bought the stuff mail order to kill the bermuda...so as soon as it all comes around we will apply. Then work on rebuilding those areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
 
248 posts, read 716,607 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Just an FYI to everyone. I have three neighbors who use a product called "Aerify Plus" from a company called "Natures Lawn". They have a website, check out the details on the product. There lawns look A LOT better then mine. I have not tried this product, but intend to try it shortly.
I saw this site at some point this spring, but can't find any reliable information on how good it is.

What kind of lawns do they have? When do they use this product and how much do they use? Is there anything else they also do to their yards to make it look so good?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 11:00 PM
 
3,248 posts, read 5,154,788 times
Reputation: 9279
I bought a large bag of Scotts Haltz w/crabgrass control and put about 1/2 the bag on the yard about 8 or 10 days ago. The weeds/crabgrass/etc. are starting to die. Can I put out the other 1/2 of the bag now to try to kill the rest of the weeds? (my yard seems to be mostly weeds/crabgrass/etc. - don't seem to have much grass )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,266 posts, read 3,158,079 times
Reputation: 1872
I need to aerate and seed my lawn, any idea when the best time to do that here is? I've got all weeds for the most part except where I've done some irrigation work and put down seed/straw myself so even though spring may not be the best, it'll hopefully get me a little green in the yard instead of bare ground or weeds. haha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 7,832,881 times
Reputation: 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I need to aerate and seed my lawn, any idea when the best time to do that here is? I've got all weeds for the most part except where I've done some irrigation work and put down seed/straw myself so even though spring may not be the best, it'll hopefully get me a little green in the yard instead of bare ground or weeds. haha
the best time is the fall. are you in full sun? if you get decent shade you may realize a little success with spring planting, but you should consider a soil test to judge your lime/fertilizer needs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 4,671,217 times
Reputation: 1272
If you are planting a warm season grass, I recommend it, this is the time to put the plugs in. This is the only time of the year that Charlotte residents can acquire Palmetto or Blue Bitter grass. Once a lawn like this is established, you won't need to worry about crab grass, summer watering, fall aeration and seeding, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,266 posts, read 3,158,079 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
the best time is the fall. are you in full sun? if you get decent shade you may realize a little success with spring planting, but you should consider a soil test to judge your lime/fertilizer needs.
Was thinking of some Rye just to maybe have something green out there versus dirt or weeds. Realize it will die in the fall but that'd get me through until I can seed with whatever in the fall. Thoughts? Where can you get a soil test? How long does it take?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 7,832,881 times
Reputation: 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Was thinking of some Rye just to maybe have something green out there versus dirt or weeds. Realize it will die in the fall but that'd get me through until I can seed with whatever in the fall. Thoughts? Where can you get a soil test? How long does it take?
rye is usually a cold weather grass, it will usually perish when soil temps reach 80. Fescue will last longer.

The NC Ag extension office will test your soil for free, it takes a while though. Get an early jump on the fall.

Here's a link: NCDA&CS - Agronomic Services Division Soil Testing Home Page

With a little luck and care, you can grow fescue still. If you're in full sun your chances go down unless you can get some afternoon shade. The problem you face now is getting good root growth before the hot sun. The seed will germinate and get green, but unless you actively manage aggressive root growth you will probably lose 50% or more of whatever you put down. My advice... get decent seed, do as much seedbed prep as you can muster (4-8" loose tilled soil, LIME, starter fertilizer, blend together... consider trucking in topsoil for much better chances). You'll need to apply fertilizer again after 30-45 days depending on how much rain (more rain than normal, apply sooner... less rain than normal, apply later). If you choose just to aerate you'll only see grass live where the seeds actually fall to the bottom of the plug... so aerate this daylights out of it - every hole represents a potential clump of grass, and no hole = no chance.

If you're in a new home your soils are complete crap. They are nutrient poor and probably very acidic. If you're in an old home, your soils are probably compacted, poorly drained, and acidic. To manage your vegetation you have to manage your soil... no two ways around it.

AAAAAND.

Go Pack! Hope we can make it around San Diego State!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,806 posts, read 32,623,506 times
Reputation: 10247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Was thinking of some Rye just to maybe have something green out there versus dirt or weeds. Realize it will die in the fall but that'd get me through until I can seed with whatever in the fall. Thoughts? Where can you get a soil test? How long does it take?
Get the Pennington mix with short fescue & perennial rye.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,266 posts, read 3,158,079 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
rye is usually a cold weather grass, it will usually perish when soil temps reach 80. Fescue will last longer.

The NC Ag extension office will test your soil for free, it takes a while though. Get an early jump on the fall.

Here's a link: NCDA&CS - Agronomic Services Division Soil Testing Home Page

With a little luck and care, you can grow fescue still. If you're in full sun your chances go down unless you can get some afternoon shade. The problem you face now is getting good root growth before the hot sun. The seed will germinate and get green, but unless you actively manage aggressive root growth you will probably lose 50% or more of whatever you put down. My advice... get decent seed, do as much seedbed prep as you can muster (4-8" loose tilled soil, LIME, starter fertilizer, blend together... consider trucking in topsoil for much better chances). You'll need to apply fertilizer again after 30-45 days depending on how much rain (more rain than normal, apply sooner... less rain than normal, apply later). If you choose just to aerate you'll only see grass live where the seeds actually fall to the bottom of the plug... so aerate this daylights out of it - every hole represents a potential clump of grass, and no hole = no chance.

If you're in a new home your soils are complete crap. They are nutrient poor and probably very acidic. If you're in an old home, your soils are probably compacted, poorly drained, and acidic. To manage your vegetation you have to manage your soil... no two ways around it.

AAAAAND.

Go Pack! Hope we can make it around San Diego State!
I'd likely go rent an aerater, good plug kind as the one I got just scratches the surface it seems and hope to get some growth going there. I'd likely just focus on the front yard for now and do the rest later in the fall maybe.

The yard really does just need to be tilled up, smoothed out and then seeded the right way. Do they make special tillers for this or we talking just a normal push/pull kind you use for the garden? I'll be honest, never seen anyone doing that in their yard! lol I'd be that "special" neighbor! haha Just seems overwhelming but the end result would make it worth it I'm sure.

And yes, Go Pack! Yesterday was brutal waiting until the 68th team, out of 68, is called to find out your in! Woot! Not called the Cardiac Pack for nothing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top