Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 AM

240 posts, read 1,022,225 times

Advertisements

The summer heat feels about the same to me. I believe the difference is that it gets warmer sooner (early March) and the summer's last longer (it's still warm in Nov. Winter's is very short and definately not as cold. I hate winter and I was in heaven with the few weeks of cold that we had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,516,301 times
mm34b and washingtonian...thanks for the info! I checked that link and compared the 2 cities and it seems to be a 5-10 degree difference throughout the year. From my understanding though, Charlotte gets 4 seasons...right? I love fall and would hate to not have that. I have family that lives in Wilmington and I wasn't impressed with their fall at all. No changing colors, no real change in temperature. I know it will definately be warmer in Charlotte vs DC in the fall, but I would hope that you can tell its fall??

Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Yes, definitely. The tress usually change for a few weeks in late October/early November and then they do fall. The trees are bare for about two months (whats left of the trees here anyway) and then pollen season begins. Also, we are about two hours away from Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains which has some of the most beautiful colors in the country, barring any unusual weather experience.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
mm34b and washingtonian...thanks for the info! I checked that link and compared the 2 cities and it seems to be a 5-10 degree difference throughout the year. From my understanding though, Charlotte gets 4 seasons...right? I love fall and would hate to not have that. I have family that lives in Wilmington and I wasn't impressed with their fall at all. No changing colors, no real change in temperature. I know it will definately be warmer in Charlotte vs DC in the fall, but I would hope that you can tell its fall??
I agree with your local climate observations, having lived in Montgomery County, Maryland for 30 years and various locations throughout North Carolina for 17 years. While all areas have four seasons, most areas do not have all four seasons of equal length.

The closer one gets to southeastern NC, the shorter the winter season, while the closer to the populated northwestern area of the state, the shorter summer season. The average annual temperature in the Southport area is nearly as high as that of the interior of northern Florida, while the average on the unpopulated summit of Mount Mitchell is lower than that of Buffalo, New York.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:15 PM

98 posts, read 341,996 times
Ok, I walked outside this afternoon and about gagged on the humidity...is today a "bad" day for this time of year? I'm from the midwest where we do have heat index that during the summer will typically bump up the temp about 10 degrees. It's not uncommon to have a 95 degree day in KS with a heat index of 100-105. Will that be about the same here? However, I'm orignially from IA where a "snow storm" is anything over a foot of snow! I'm happy to deal with this weather if it means not being locked up for 3 days while the streets are plowed!!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I hate to say today is what I consider HOt LOL
and normal summer day and if weathermen are right late afternoon thunder poppers are expected but they are quick and out usually which makes them "interesting"

Snow here is pretty much just enough to make the yard and tree pretty and gone in two days but the tv stations will hype it up so that you cant find any bread, eggs, or milk at grocery store.

Schools will close and they will warn you to stay off the roads and you think for what but lol people really cant drive in stuff around here so you are better staying home just for safety lol.

I hate shivering so I love days like this but lol like right now I stick it indoors and try to do my errands in the morning or after 6pm.

Days like this is a good day to be in a mall. hehe

If you got pets make sure they have plenty of fresh water and I knew last year I saw people with pets in their cars and they really breaks my heart.

There is also alot of cute ice cream shops in the area for days like these.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I agree with your local climate observations, having lived in Montgomery County, Maryland for 30 years and various locations throughout North Carolina for 17 years. While all areas have four seasons, most areas do not have all four seasons of equal length.

The closer one gets to southeastern NC, the shorter the winter season, while the closer to the populated northwestern area of the state, the shorter summer season. The average annual temperature in the Southport area is nearly as high as that of the interior of northern Florida, while the average on the unpopulated summit of Mount Mitchell is lower than that of Buffalo, New York.
Wow...love the analysis....

Feels like a Carvel ice cream run....

Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawk View Post
Ok, I walked outside this afternoon and about gagged on the humidity...is today a "bad" day for this time of year?
Yep. The normal high for this day in June at the CLT airport is 85. The relative humidity at CLT was a high of 90% at 5 AM and a low of 38% at 2 PM.

The National Weather Service was reporting a heat index of 101 at 2:25 PM this afternoon.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:22 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,882 times
It is warmer than DC area on average..it seems around spring we were about 3 weeks ahead of them and in the fall about a month behind...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I hate to say today is what I consider HOt LOL
and normal summer day and if weathermen are right late afternoon thunder poppers are expected but they are quick and out usually which makes them "interesting"

Snow here is pretty much just enough to make the yard and tree pretty and gone in two days but the tv stations will hype it up so that you cant find any bread, eggs, or milk at grocery store.

Schools will close and they will warn you to stay off the roads and you think for what but lol people really cant drive in stuff around here so you are better staying home just for safety lol.

I hate shivering so I love days like this but lol like right now I stick it indoors and try to do my errands in the morning or after 6pm.

Days like this is a good day to be in a mall. hehe

If you got pets make sure they have plenty of fresh water and I knew last year I saw people with pets in their cars and they really breaks my heart.

There is also alot of cute ice cream shops in the area for days like these.

Was today's considered hot for Charlotte or does it get much hotter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte