Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 AM

292 posts, read 672,305 times

Advertisements

If you start a thread about a "Jesus Saves" sign (even for historic preservation purposes) it is foolish to expect religion not to be brought up.

Even if it is historically relevant, I couldn't care less if a sign that says "Jesus Saves" is torn down. It is very hard for me to separate the history of it from the religious side of it. If people want to save the sign so bad, they should start up a collection and have it safely taken down themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
If you start a thread about a "Jesus Saves" sign (even for historic preservation purposes) it is foolish to expect religion not to be brought up.

Even if it is historically relevant, I couldn't care less if a sign that says "Jesus Saves" is torn down. It is very hard for me to separate the history of it from the religious side of it. If people want to save the sign so bad, they should start up a collection and have it safely taken down themselves.

I give up - some of you people are just ridiculous, so I'll say this now:

You ain't from around here are ya?

Don't worry, Jesus loves you anyway.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Spoiler

I give up - some of you people are just ridiculous, so I'll say this now:

You ain't from around here are ya?

Don't worry, Jesus loves you anyway.
Actually, I grew up in the south. I AM from around here. I grew up being told on a regular basis that I was going to hell unless I accept jesus christ, blah blah. So excuse me if I dont give a damn about a sign that says Jesus Saves.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-26-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,456,364 times
Quote:

Two collections have been started, one at the Garr Church and one at Historic Charlotte (Save Our Signs Fund). Contractors have been contacted.

From the first link in the OP

Quote:
Save Our Signs is a new partnership between Historic Charlotte and JFG Coffee to bring awareness and appreciation of vintage signs in the Charlotte region. The Save Our Signs Fund has been established to assist with the preservation of vintage signs.
From the second link

Quote:
Efforts to save it have failed. Garr Memorial Church, which first occupied the building in the 1930’s, had tried to hire someone to take it down, unsuccessfully. But members are not giving up.

Contractors have said it’s too dangerous.
From the third link

Quote:
Folks, it’s been a long time since I’ve provided an update, and I apologize for this. A lot has been going on, and we are very close to getting this sign down. We have a contractor lined up, and a few last minute details to take care of. Tonight, the Charlotte City Council will vote on approval of demolition of the old Garr Auditorium / Canon Cathedral. Everyone expects that this vote will pass, and the process of demolition will proceed. So, we have very little time to get this sign down.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Thank you for spelling out the info, NCgirl, for all those who evidently didn't bother to even read the links explaining the fate of the signs and what groups are in place for donations.

To those of you who are not into saving these signs, just don't donate. For those of you who are, I even found a Facebook page that will allow you to keep in touch w/ how things are proceeding with the fate of some of these signs.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Two collections have been started, one at the Garr Church and one at Historic Charlotte (Save Our Signs Fund). Contractors have been contacted.

From the first link in the OP

From the second link

From the third link
Ah, thanks. I had briefly scanned the articles, but not read them word for word. Sounds find to me then.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Remember these?
Oh.......The Epicurean!!! I had my graduation dinner there with all my family! and went there for dinner before my prom (with the guy who is now my DH!)

Thanks mullman for posting this picture........sigh........so much that's gone now. I guess all those signs are gone?

And I really miss the JFG sign too, I used to pass by it everyday coming home from work. Silly, I know.........it's just a sign. I'm sure they can find a place for it.

I hope they can save the "Jesus Saves" sign, it is a part of our history.......

.........and Jesus does save!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,707,279 times
Quote:
It is very hard for me to separate the history of it from the religious side of it.
Sorry - I do not understand what is so difficult about seaparating history from religion over an inanimate object.

Case in point - the sign does not bother me; I have no opinion about the content of the sign whatsoever to be honest. Just like I could care less about seeing a Nativity display over the holidays. And this is from someone who thinks that Christianity and the Catholic church is....well, I won't go there...let's just say I am not a big fan. But the fact that other people may be - that's cool with me. When speaking about something that has historical significance, I truly do not care if the sign is in regards to Jesus, Satan or the Harlem Globetrotters - it makes no difference to me.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,545,693 times
Just because you dont honor our creator God and her son whether the sign historic is besides
the point last time I check this is still America. Freedom of practice whatever religion.
Everyone has a right modern or old to have signs that represent their faith.

Spoiler
Honor those who fought for our freedom of religion

Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Sorry - I do not understand what is so difficult about seaparating history from religion over an inanimate object.

Case in point - the sign does not bother me; I have no opinion about the content of the sign whatsoever to be honest. Just like I could care less about seeing a Nativity display over the holidays. And this is from someone who thinks that Christianity and the Catholic church is....well, I won't go there...let's just say I am not a big fan. But the fact that other people may be - that's cool with me. When speaking about something that has historical significance, I truly do not care if the sign is in regards to Jesus, Satan or the Harlem Globetrotters - it makes no difference to me.
For me, personally, it is hard. Because I can't make the separation, I don't care what happens to it. Leave it up or take it down, it doesn't bother me.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-26-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte