Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

It's hard to know where you're going, if you don't know where you've been!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
. . . but as I said before - preserving history means preserving the good, the bad and the ugly.
Well then, can we ever tear anything down at all without destroying somebody's "history"? I think it's a good idea to preserve GOOD examples of architecture, and places with historic significance. But everything that's old isn't necessarily historic, is it? The "Jesus Saves" church certainly isn't a beautiful example of anything, and I haven't seen anybody make a case for "historic." Do we save things like this just because they're old? If we want things like this to be preserved, who pays? That church needs a lot of work.

And if it's just a matter of saving the "Jesus Saves" sign, send it to Re-Store http://www.charlotterestore.org/ and let someone buy it, if they want to put it somewhere.

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
And if you don't think Loves was being rude, then, what else is there to say?
Bless your heart...

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Remember these?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:

I don't get insulted seeing stuff about other religions. Now, as you said, maybe there are those who do. What I get aggravated about is when folks are intolerant of other religions, and I think that is what you were basically saying (did I read it right this time?)
Correct.

But not just people of other religions. Also, those intolerant of those who don't believe in any of the Top Four Religions (or top hundred human-marketed religions).

Quote:
I just ignore it when folks evangelize to me about ANY religion. I switch the station on the radio or change the subject if I don't wanna hear it. But I don't get offended when folks feel they need to evangelize (such as with Jehovah's Witnesses). I find it interruptive. If I want to learn about a religion, I will do it on my own time - I find "in your face" pushy evangelism intrusive.
It's not about radio or TV. While that's annoying, too. I can easily change a channel. And for as often as I watch broadcast TV, which is hardly ever; I do a good job of avoiding the worst of that.

Unfortunately, it's the every day interactions. The immediate family, the extended family, the neighbors, the cashier at the grocery store, the salemen/sales women at the stores .......the guy in the aisle who chooses to tell you about his god when you're standing on your toes and reaching for a bottle of honey off the top shelf; in the grocery store. That's what really becomes annoying.

Admittedly and obviously, I don't approve of mass-marketing campaigns and roadside billboards for religion. I find it distasteful and very disturbing.

But the people themselves......sheesh, enough already. Yeah, Yeah, I know..I know. I have issues. Sure, I'm going to your imaginary hell ( start without me if I'm late)...yeah...yeah, I know.

Now please refrain from talking about it and finish your beer, your joint and it's getting late. So move along and go to your girlfriends house, before you go home to your wife.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It's hard to know where you're going, if you don't know where you've been!

+3

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Bless your heart...

Well bless your little heart, too.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:11 PM..

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Well then, can we ever tear anything down at all without destroying somebody's "history"? I think it's a good idea to preserve GOOD examples of architecture, and places with historic significance. But everything that's old isn't necessarily historic, is it? The "Jesus Saves" church certainly isn't a beautiful example of anything, and I haven't seen anybody make a case for "historic." Do we save things like this just because they're old? If we want things like this to be preserved, who pays? That church needs a lot of work.

And if it's just a matter of saving the "Jesus Saves" sign, send it to Re-Store Charlotte ReStore Habitat for Humanity Shop-Donate-Volunteer and let someone buy it, if they want to put it somewhere.
Nobody wants to save the church - it's a loss. It is just the sign.

It is quirky and a part of the local lore, so even if it is not beautiful . . . it is worth saving as a part of this history of signage in the region.

I agree - not everything that is old is worth the $$$ to save it - just like the church. It is a goner and needs to be bulldozed.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It was sarcasm to match sarcasm. Though in all honesty, really and truly, I am a very proud southerner and would not want to live or be anywhere BUT the south. I DO in fact pity others who don't have what I have

Coming from such a wonderfully RICH historical area yourself, I would think you could appreciate my love of southern history and lifestyle.
I don't dispute that you're very proud to be a southerner and I can understand why.

But to say you pity others who aren't from the South?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Well bless your little heart, too.
Why thank you. Have you ever read The Watchtower?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte