Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times

Advertisements

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Oh give me a break

And here I thought I was "maligning" pushy, intrusive, bullying religious people of all walks of life, not just Christians.

And here I thought I was responding to DaddySpice's comments

Yes, poor christians and southerners....they're so maligned and so non-judgemental

I am so thankful to God to have been born a southerner, and feel sorry for all others not so richly blessed.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,155,939 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am so thankful to God to have been born a southerner, and feel sorry for all others not so richly blessed.
I find it amusing that you are basically doing the same thing you're so annoyed at me for doing.

But the funny this is this. As far as historcal preservastions, it's by no means a stretch to attach a religious bias or disposition to the desire to save (pun intended) a "Jesus Saves" sign. And believe a Joe's Tavern sign would have a lot less support and determination behind it.

That's not some wild stretch, there.

But it is in fact a huge stretch to casually interpret my comments as some kind of exclusive attack or maligning of Southerners. A bit of a defensive reaction and interpretation, actually. Especially since I don't have any kind of a pattern or history of attacking or having any kind of animosity towards southerners

Well, that is unless you have convinced yourself that Christianity and NASCAR are exclusively "Southerner" traditions

Not to mention that "you feeling sorry for other's not so richly blessed" pretty much sums it all up, in a neat little box for me.

You made it easy.

Amusing, yes.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,325,362 times
I have seen that sign my entire life and it reminds me of simpler times and a Charlotte past that is slowly eroding.

Such historic local icons, IMHO, should be preserved, and hopefully someone or some group will make it happen.

Thx for the articles, Loves.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM

852 posts, read 2,470,124 times
I had only been in this country for about one month and I had visitors over from England and I took them trip to the beach (Myrtle Beach). On the way down we noticed the "Jesus Saves" posters and we were having a bit of a chuckle at where we were actually living - ooh bible belt etc etc. Then the next posters nearing the beach were "Shagging on the deck", "Shagging lessons", "Shag all night". I was totally confused - here on one side of the road religion was everywhere and then on the other side was Gomorrah - I was pretty scared as to what side of the road to stay on!!!! For those of you who don't know "shagging" is not dancing in UK or Ireland.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,325,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
"Shagging on the deck", "Shagging lessons", "Shag all night". I was totally confused - here on one side of the road religion was everywhere and then on the other side was Gomorrah - I was pretty scared as to what side of the road to stay on!!!! For those of you who don't know "shagging" is not dancing in UK or Ireland.
But 'shagging' here is a dance, so the 'lost in translation aspect' is the fault of us locals?
Please.

I find plenty to chuckle about when in the UK, but never fault the locals for words/phrases which carry a different meaning to me.
I am broader minded than that.

Besides why would you take Europeans to Myrtle Beach when they have Plage Conguel, Collioure, Ibiza, & Cannes ?
Most locals do not go to Myrtle Beach, LOL.

Last edited by mullman; 05-25-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,989,363 times
That was an interesting article loves. I haven't seen that particular sign. In fact it made me think about a similar sign on 85S in SC on the way down to Spartanburg. One of the iconic signs that I've always loved is in Boston. Its a huge neon Citgo sign. It was one of the things that we always looked for as kids, especially at night. CITGO.com, Company History, Boston Sign

I think that you have to pick your battles down here & devote your energies to ones that you can win rather than squandering your resources on those fights that have already been decided. From watching that tv clip it would seem that this battle has already been lost. But you never know. God may decide to find a way to help the community to preserve the sign.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,459,551 times
Wow, reading is fundamental! No pun intended. The point of the thread is the sign not the message. Again the thread title is Jesus Saves! (and other historic signs in Charlotte) The first link is to Historic Charlotte, Inc and their Save Our Signs Project. The mission of Historic Charlotte, Inc. is to actively promote historic preservation and to encourage, support and coordinate the activities of history and heritage groups throughout the greater Charlotte.

Quote:
You COMPLETELY miss the point

It is the SIGN people are trying to save, not the eyesore dilapidated building. The SIGN is iconic, not the building.

And yes, if the sign said, "Joe's Tavern" and had been a beacon standing in one neighborhood for 80 years, it would be just as valuable. Did you even look at the link I provided for the kinds of signs the group Historic Charlotte has saved???
Quote:
How rude. And shame on you. This is a thread about HISTORIC PRESERVATION and you take it as an opportunity to malign southerners and Christians - great. Feel big in your britches now?

You guys really disappoint me

Please, at least read the links I provided before you spout off at the mouth
Thanks for this thread Loves!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
That was an interesting article loves. I haven't seen that particular sign. In fact it made me think about a similar sign on 85S in SC on the way down to Spartanburg. One of the iconic signs that I've always loved is in Boston. Its a huge neon Citgo sign. It was one of the things that we always looked for as kids, especially at night. CITGO.com, Company History, Boston Sign

I think that you have to pick your battles down here & devote your energies to ones that you can win rather than squandering your resources on those fights that have already been decided. From watching that tv clip it would seem that this battle has already been lost. But you never know. God may decide to find a way to help the community to preserve the sign.
Thanks Barkingowl

Historic preservation is something we should all care about. It is actually unconscionable to me for anyone to move to an area and have no respect for what was there before they arrived.

When I moved to Syracuse last year I spent half my time learning the history of the city and it's quirks and delights. I was amazed to discover so much I never knew before. I truly appreciated the people of the region more for having learned that history too.

Sadly, many come here to Charlotte simply for what they can get, not for what they can learn or grow from. They remind me of vampires - soulless creatures sucking what they can out of Charlotte without giving a damn thing back.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I find it amusing that you are basically doing the same thing your so annoyed at me for doing.

But the funny this is this. As far as historcal preservastions, it's by no means a stretch to attach a religious bias or disposition to the desire to save (pun intended) a "Jesus Saves" sign. And believe a Joe's Tavern sign would have a lot less support and determination behind it.

That's not some wild stretch, there.

But it is in fact a huge stretch to casually interpret my comments as some kind of exclusive attack or maligning of Southerners. A bit of a defensive reaction and interpretation, actually. Especially since I don't have any kind of a pattern or history of attacking or having any kind of animosity towards southerners

Well, that is unless you have convinced yourself that Christianity and NASCAR are exclusively "Southerner" traditions

Not to mention that "you feeling sorry for other's not so richly blessed" pretty much sums it all up, in a neat little box for me.

You made it easy.

Amusing, yes.
Again, did you even open the first link???

If you had you would have seen a picture of many of the signs this organization has worked to save. I am 1000% certain that if "Joe's Tavern" existed and was an 80 year old icon of the Charlotte skyline that it too would have been fought for. Again, your comments are just rude.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:54 AM

852 posts, read 2,470,124 times
Mullman, have you totally lost your sense of humor. I was not blaming the locals for my lack of understanding of the word "shagging".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte