Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,156,516 times

Advertisements

Spoiler
Just for clarification......

I'v been here in North Carolina for 11 years.

And not once, not ever, have I ever tried to 'Northernize" anything about North Carolina, Kannapolis, Concord or Rockwell. Unless you consider my wearing a New York Rangers or New York Jets jersey and hat; as my attempting to "Northernize" North Carolina.

I've never pushed for, protested against or made any effort to change any long standing North Carolina traditions, landmarks or cultural icons.

Secondly, religion is NOT exclusive to Southerners and Christianity is not the only and exclusive Religion.

Thirdly, being rude surely is not exclusive to us Northerners. As displayed effectively right here in this thread.

I find it amusing how some southerners love to cry about stereotypes and offenses heaped upon the South and Southerners, in general.

But as this thread clearly shows, some Southerners are in no way, shape or form above being rude themselves and diligently working those stereotypes of non-southerners. Nor are they above doing themselves, what they so angerily protest about others doing. It's just that, when they do it....it's okay and always justified. Really doesn't get much easier for me, when you proudly put it on display and give me an example of proof.

Fourthly, that " Gretzky Shoots.....Jesus Saves " joke is priceless!

Regardless of what the grumpy amongst us say

P.S. I still have no idea where I insulted Southerners. Seems overly-defensive, if you ask me.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I would love to see that sign go down. Not very good looking, and the message can be insulting to some.
Silly you. You or someone else can't possibly be insulted by such a sign.

There can only be insult or it can only be offending if you don't agree and believe if that one 'God".

Of course, if someone erected a sign stating " Buddha Saves" then that would be highly insulting and should be demolished before the first rain kisses it.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh good grief

Oh really?

How is what he said any different than the offense you're claiming has been commited against you?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,587,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Just for clarification......

I'v been here in North Carolina for 11 years.

And not once, not ever, have I ever tried to 'Northernize" anything about North Carolina, Kannapolis, Concord or Rockwell. Unless you consider my wearing a New York Rangers or New York Jets jersey and hat; as my attempting to "Northernize" North Carolina.

I've never pushed for, protested against or made any effort to change any long standing North Carolina traditions, landmarks or cultural icons.

Secondly, religion is NOT exclusive to Southerners and Christianity is not the only and exclusive Religion.

Thirdly, being rude surely is not exclusive to us Northerners. As displayed effectively right here in this thread.

I find it amusing how some southerners love to cry about stereotypes and offenses heaped upon the South and Southerners, in general.

But as this thread clearly shows, some Southerners are in no way, shape or form above being rude themselves and diligently working those stereotypes of non-southerners. Nor are they above doing themselves, what they so angerily protest about others doing. It's just that, when they do it....it's okay and always justified. Really doesn't get much easier for me, when you proudly put it on display and give me an example of proof.

Fourthly, that " Gretzky Shoots.....Jesus Saves " joke is priceless!

Regardless of what the grumpy amongst us say

P.S. I still have no idea where I insulted Southerners. Seems overly-defensive, if you ask me.
Well, the joke would be lost here on about 80% of the natives as they would have no idea who Gretzky even is.

And you will have to point out to me where you think a Southerner has been rude on this thread.

There is nothing rude about objecting to being stereotyped and minimized, is there?

NMyTree, I am sure you have been a wonderful addition to the area and to your chosen "new home." And sometimes, it takes a fresh perspective to bring ideas to the table. I would think you would be a lot more open-minded to a "live and let live" attitude, tho, than your posts on this thread might suggest.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Silly you. You or someone else can't possibly be insulted by such a sign.

There can only be insult or it can only be offending if you don't agree and believe if that one 'God".

Of course, if someone erected a sign stating " Buddha Saves" then that would be highly insulting and should be demolished before the first rain kisses it.
First of all . . . Buddha never purported to "save" so that sign can't exist. And we are talking about historic signs here and historically, few Buddhists chose to live here in the last Century.

But if there WERE such a sign - say - of a dancing Buddha pointing the way to a Tea House, then yes, I would definitely be one of the folks to support saving it.

You really are missing the point here!

People who get "insulted" by such things as others evangelizing, whether for Hari Krishna or Jesus, have BIG HANG UPS and are really wrapped up in their own insecurities as well as self-importance.

I have to wonder about folks who get all self-righteous and "offended" over something written on a sign (or a flag, for that matter). Just don't look at it, for heaven's sake.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
First of all . . . Buddha never purported to "save" so that sign can't exist. And we are talking about historic signs here and historically, few Buddhists chose to live here in the last Century.

But if there WERE such a sign - say - of a dancing Buddha pointing the way to a Tea House, then yes, I would definitely be one of the folks to support saving it.

You really are missing the point here!

People who get "insulted" by such things as others evangelizing, whether for Hari Krishna or Jesus, have BIG HANG UPS and are really wrapped up in their own insecurities as well as self-importance.

I have to wonder about folks who get all self-righteous and "offended" over something written on a sign (or a flag, for that matter). Just don't look at it, for heaven's sake.
Thank you for getting my thread back on track It IS amazing how some people here have missed the point.

Just to reiterate - this thread is about HISTORIC PRESERVATION.

Wouldn't you love it if the Save our Signs group at existed 20 or so years ago and saved the signage from the old Bloomery and Bootery on Independence Blvd??? That place was classic! Lingerie and fishnet stockings right in the front window along with the work boots, lol!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thank you for getting my thread back on track It IS amazing how some people here have missed the point.

Just to reiterate - this thread is about HISTORIC PRESERVATION.

Wouldn't you love it if the Save our Signs group at existed 20 or so years ago and tsaved the signage from the old Bloomery and Bootery on Independence Blvd??? That place was classic!
Yes, I certainly do wish someone had gotten involved and had the foresight to preserve those signs, just as I wish folks had been more conscious of the longterm effects of razing everything that existed in Charlotte. Things were bulldozed down b/c of "progress" and (hate to say it) greed.

Some lousy decisions have been made here and it is a scramble to try to salvage what little remains that CAN be salvaged.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I think it's so sad that Charlotte doesn't have more from the Revolutionary War time period. Old buildings like that are human scale.

When I go to my doctor's office I go from Wilkinson to 277 to Kenilworth. Passing uptwn on 277 it's impressive, but once I'm in the city it's sort of forbidding, for lack of a better word.
That's b/c there is so little that has a sense of "context" in Charlotte. I feel like someone was playing Sim City and just pressed a button, bulldozed anything of interest and then came in with the big booms and started building, lol. A lot of Charlotte feels rather disjointed, and that is a shame, as the city had a lovely design at the turn of the 20th Century.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,702,726 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I have read the Constitution, and 'freedom from being offended' is not listed.

What happened to live and let live?
That's exactly what I would like to ask, but that's another topic in a different forum...

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
That's exactly what I would like to ask, but that's another topic in a different forum...

What happened to "live and let live?" Old Southern families have always lived by that adage. Why? Because we always had so many skeletons in our OWN closets, there was no way we were gonna point fingers at others, lol. We just wanted everyone to "live and let live" so we didn't have to answer for our own family's foibles.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte