Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 05:53 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times

Advertisements

turning into another old guys wax nostalgic despite the facts thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 06:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 942,039 times
Maybe start with where do you even buy a Buick? GM has pretty much done everything possible to destroy as much brand equity as possible in everything they touch. Even the few times they rise up from the design by committee drek they quickly ruin it with poor quality and terrible redesigns before they toss another once admired nameplate on the dung heap that is GM history since the 1970s.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Maybe start with where do you even buy a Buick? GM has pretty much done everything possible to destroy as much brand equity as possible in everything they touch. Even the few times they rise up from the design by committee drek they quickly ruin it with poor quality and terrible redesigns before they toss another once admired nameplate on the dung heap that is GM history since the 1970s.
When we were SUV shopping we looked at the Buicks at a GMC dealer. There seemed no logical reason to buy the Buick over a nicely equipped nearly identical GMC. Ultimately, we bought neither.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:37 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Buick is basically a chinese car brand now. Because SAIC the Chinese car company is doing most of the design and manufacturing now which actually has made Buick the most reliable brand of GM. Most people in China think Buick is like Acura of America. I personally think that Acura has not been as reliable the past decade as people think it is. Buicks since the early 2000s have vastly improved while Acura hasn't improved much in terms of quality and reliability. I wouldn't buy a TL or TLX.
The only Buick in North America designed and built by SAIC-GM is the Envision.

The Encore is an old Opel design (from Germany) and is built in South Korea.
The Encore GX is also built in South Korea.
The Enclave is an American design that's built in Lansing, Michigan.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Maybe start with where do you even buy a Buick?
At a Buick dealer? They're usually tied on with GMC, occasionally with the Chevrolet franchise. Not hard to find.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:00 PM

843 posts, read 565,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
turning into another old guys wax nostalgic despite the facts thread.
I guess that Reatta picture was over the top. But I worked on that car, it was not your typical Buick, and knew that no one would've heard of it, so I couldn't help myself.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
We need some perspective from the people in their 20s or 30s. With the average age of the posters here pushing late 50s, if not older, you'll never know how Buick is perceived.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:56 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The name? Or the emblem?

If I had to pick one emblem that needed changing, the KIA one would be my pick.

The name, it rhymes with a certain name from a different ethnicity that is actually not even a bad name, just that my wife associates it with a certain person. Drives me nuts not being able to buy a Kia Soul because she has bad memories from some jerk somewhere else in the world.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:14 AM

672 posts, read 699,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We need some perspective from the people in their 20s or 30s. With the average age of the posters here pushing late 50s, if not older, you'll never know how Buick is perceived.

I'm in my 30s, Buick is irrelevant and redundant at this point. Since they don't make sedans under the brand anymore, why pick a Buick over something in the GMC line-up? Also GM burned a lot of customers in the late 90s and early 00s across their lineup with intake gasket, transmission and electrical problems, further trashing their brands, especially in the so called premium brands. It's one thing to have a lemon caviler vs. a Buick Century, but that's what GM did.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:55 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Favorite Emblems, in no particular order:

Jaguar's leaping cat
Mercedes refined three-point star
BMW's blue-and-white target
Rolls Royce stately overlapping R's
Alfa Romeo cross and serpent
Audi's "olympic circles"
Ferrari and Porsche's rearing horses
Mustang's galloping horse
Tesla. The transformed letter "T" is nicely done, aggressive and refined at the same time
Acura's drafting compass, suggesting fine engineering
Bentley's B and wings exudes high end quality it represents

Could Be Improved:

Toyota. To me it looks like a dude wearing a sombrero.
Chevrolet. They need to re-do the bowtie to make it look more classy.
Honda. The crooked "H" is blah.

Worst Emblems

Lexus. It's an L. Boring.
Nissan, Volvo. The word "Nissan" or "Volvo" with a circle. Boring.
Smart car. Looks like Jack in the Box sideways.
GMC. Three letters in a cheesy font.
AMC. A square and two triangles. A 4th grader could do better.

Mercury. Not sure what 3 bent lines are supposed to mean.

It’s amazing how so few American born auto companies have no compelling emblems lol they’re all pretty Blah and vanilla .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC