Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times

Advertisements

What I saw in various states, and what I see in downstate, is venues moving away from the sterile malls that opened in the 60s to what used to be called the "outdoor mall". It is a well designed trendy collection of mixed venues, with parking outside the door, that is located on a large expanse of land. It is 10 times larger than the strip malls or shopping centers, and it contains more stores than the old mall. It beats parking and walking a mile inside the mall to my favored store.

The truth is if you live long enough you see many of your favorite stores close and be recycled. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
No, not much on Halsted.

Target
Menards
Home Depot
Best Buy
Kohl's
JoAnn Fabrics
Jewel
Bed Bath & Beyond
Kmart
Office Max
Petco
Buffalo Wild Wings
Starbucks
Boston Market
That's not very much at all.. If I were to actually take the time to list all the big box stores and resturants in Matteson, it will be more than three times as long. And saying only "three times" is being incredibly nice to Halsted. And then if we listed how many chains were near Orland Square, forget about it..

Halsted is healthy and thriving. It is in Homewood, after all. But there's not a whole lot there..

Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What I saw in various states, and what I see in downstate, is venues moving away from the sterile malls that opened in the 60s to what used to be called the "outdoor mall". It is a well designed trendy collection of mixed venues, with parking outside the door, that is located on a large expanse of land. It is 10 times larger than the strip malls or shopping centers, and it contains more stores than the old mall. It beats parking and walking a mile inside the mall to my favored store.

The truth is if you live long enough you see many of your favorite stores close and be recycled. .
They're not "outdoor malls" any more, they're "lifestyle centers."

Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
That's not very much at all.. If I were to actually take the time to list all the big box stores and resturants in Matteson, it will be more than three times as long. And saying only "three times" is being incredibly nice to Halsted. And then if we listed how many chains were near Orland Square, forget about it..

Halsted is healthy and thriving. It is in Homewood, after all. But there's not a whole lot there..
Actually, the list wouldn't be much longer in Matteson. You could add Sears, Carson's, Penny's, and Wal Mart (which is right down the street from Homewood in Glenwood). Toys R Us, Ross Dress for Less, Sports Authority. That doesn't even double the number of stores. Otherwise, the stores are pretty much the same, or their equivalent (Petsmart vs. Petco). Several of those stores in Homewood (and I forgot TJ Maxx), left Matteson for Homewood.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Actually, the list wouldn't be much longer in Matteson. You could add Sears, Carson's, Penny's, and Wal Mart (which is right down the street from Homewood in Glenwood). Toys R Us, Ross Dress for Less, Sports Authority. That doesn't even double the number of stores. Otherwise, the stores are pretty much the same, or their equivalent (Petsmart vs. Petco). Several of those stores in Homewood (and I forgot TJ Maxx), left Matteson for Homewood.
There is no equivilent to Cracker Barrel over there, for one. A place to get breakfast after 3AM.. Tobacco Plus and Red Lobster are two more. Fedex AND UPS locations are in Matteson. Since you included Glenwood, I honestly think Halsted should be compared to everything between I-57 and Hiltop Avenue in Chicago Heights on Lincoln Highway. You know, everything between I-57 and Ultra Foods. After all, it was the Ultra Foods and Food 4 Less down the street that contributed to Jewel's demise. So Lincoln Highway also has two discount grocery stores and a movie theater. No equivalent.

The stretch of land on Lincoln Highway is almost twice as long. And the space is just more built up. This is why there is more there. Yes, I know Matteson has empty storefronts but these empty storefronts aren't gonna be too noticeable for a casual observer just passing through..

Last edited by urza216; 05-15-2012 at 03:08 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Actually, there is a Fedex store in Homewood. And there's a Chili's, which isn't in Matteson. So yes, they seem pretty comparable at this point. There's probably a tobacco store too, but I'm talking about big box stores and chain restaurants that highlight a significant shopping destination. I think it would be hard for the casual visitor not to notice all the vacant boxes in Matteson.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
If the goal is to promote area growth and residents able to enjoy quality retail, restaurants, and entertainment establishments. Then it would make sense for quality retail, restaurants, and entertainment establishments to be more spread out in the heavily traveled areas like matteson, homewood, and country club hills. For one, if the far southern suburbs is going to continue to grow as a middle class racially diverse area then much more in the lines of quality entertainment establishments in majority black middle class neighborhoods like matteson that cater to young black professionals and black middle class families would make the far south suburbs more appealing. Bar Louie opening in matteson was a very good step in the right direction for matteson. It's a very popular establishment that attracts a good professional and middle class crowd. It's the first entertainment venue of it's kind catering to this crowd in the far southern suburbs. They are expanding it to two levels next month to include an upscale club.

As far as which neighborhood is better between matteson and homewood. Who really cares. That's what diversity is all about. Having choices that cater to the entire demographic that live in the area. And also having quality establishments that cater to everyone. Both areas are somewhat the same and also somewhat different and should be able to cater to all demographics. When I go into the panera bread in matteson. The patrons are atleast 60/40 between black and white. The same for five guys and starbucks, Carsons, and jcpenneys. The only Red Lobster and olive garden in the far southern suburbs is in matteson. Majority of the auto dealerships in the far southern suburbs are located in matteson. I like living around and hanging out in both neighborhoods. And know people living in both homewood and matteson. Homewood has a lot of charm. Matteson on the other hand is more indicative of current middle class growth patterns in the far southern suburbs and has seen the most middle class population growth out of any neighborhood in the far southern suburbs. Matteson seeing middle class residential growth is a net positive far all of the far southern suburbs, including homewood.

Matteson's population was 11,920 in 1990. And as of 2010 is 19,009. The median family income in matteson is currently $74,608. The median family income in homewood is $87,843 . Majority of those new middle class residents moved to matteson from outside of the area. So that is a huge net positive in midddle class residents living in the far southern suburbs. I don't think neither homewood or matteson can be described as anything but middle class. Maybe you should actually drive through some of the newer large subdivisions in matteson such as Newbury Estates and get a first hand look at the growth.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-15-2012 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 PM

"Everything's closing down in Matteson. It's gonna be the new Chicago Heights"

My friend reading over my shoulder just said this. And no, Allen, he's not white..

Nor do I agree with him, for that matter. I have a little more hope for the future. The first step to creating a better future is admitting the challenges that face us..

Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Bar Louie opening in matteson was a very good step in the right direction for matteson. It's a very popular establishment that attracts a good professional and middle class crowd.
Really, Allen? Look, me and my boys have been to that sports bar and grill twice since it opened. I plan on going alone on nights when I work till midnight.. But last time I was there, we walked by a car in the parking lot with HUGE custom chrome rims with black accents. I'm not gonna lie, it looked pretty tight. The windows rolled down and the place reeked of marijuana smoke as they listened to their tunes with the bass up high.. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not a "good professional" and neither were the people in that car, haha. The security guards on Friday night were jerks. I tried to walk in and out with my phone like three times and they said "Hey, my man. You can't be coming in and out like that. This a business." At the door, they told me to put my knife back in the car. I'm not complaining about it. I'm just saying it ain't no country club. It's a sports bar and grill in Matteson..

Last edited by urza216; 05-15-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
I like it. I have no idea where you like to hang out. But the crowd looks similar to what I see when going to trendy places that I like to hang out at in the city. It's a classy looking place. One of the few spots in the southern suburbs where black women actually hang out in large numbers. Great place to take your date or meet someone if you are single. And I think it's great to finally have at least one decent establishment like that out here that caters to that particular crowd. Other than having to drive to the city all of the time for that. Although as I said the far southern suburbs has very little in the line of quality entertainment establishments. So that is much welcomed in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs