Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM

217 posts, read 581,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And yet the parking lot is always packed. I've spent so much money there and I know lots of other people have to. And yet the Best Buy on Halsted in Homewood isn't closing.. This serves a smaller clientelle, I'm pretty sure. And definitely a whiter clientele (not that white people don't shop at the Matteson Best Buy too). Some people don't even realize there's a Best Buy in Homewood since it's on Halsted and not in downtown Homewood. I know a ton of people who don't live too far from the Homewood Best Buy but the one in Matteson is their go-to store. Lincoln Highway is more heavily trafficked and larger retail area than Halsted in Homewood. And actually, I don't know of any other Best Buy that is closing down other than the one I go to and many other people I know go to. The Matteson one.

I call BS. In my opinion, this is a clear cut case of retail redlining. And I demand that Best Buy release their profit numbers to the public. Discuss.
Yes, Best Buy decides its store closings only by race. This large corporation has the race of its customers on its mind more than its own profits. Get over the race B.S. urza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
The best buy store in Matteson makes more money than many other Best Buy stores that are still open. Such as the one in Homewood and the one near Kankakee. I would bet a hundred dollars on that and I live paycheck to paycheck. Matteson is a relatively major retail area. If it isn't about race then what is it about? I am concluding this based on evidence to the contrary and familiarity with the area. Your reaction to to my assessement is gut reaction out of ignorance. You are from central Indiana so how would you know, Lud?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
The one in Mundelein is also closing. It is less than ten miles from the Vernon Hills store. There is also competition from Tiger Direct, which moved into the old Circuit City.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 PM

If all Best Buy stores went out of bussiness, the only good thing about that is my debt to them would disappear. So would my Geek Squad warranties though. I can't make payments online but I can at Best Buy with my Best Buy credit card.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
In my opinion, this is a clear cut case of retail redlining.
What a surprise. Though I will congratulate you that you finally got a few bites on your race trolling after a handful of failed attempts.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 PM

35 posts, read 109,403 times
Quote:
Really? What Best Buy stores do you have experience with? I hope these stores are closing down because the employees at the Matteson store are great. Always very helpful and great customer service. If one person doesn't have the answer, they can get someone over here who does.
Primarily Arlington Heights, West Dundee (marked for closure), Bloomingdale and Schaumburg, in order from best to worst. It is specifically the computer and camera departments that I have had issues with though, so maybe I am being a little unfair.

I am not familiar with your neck of the woods, but I can see it being plausible for them to close a better performing store in favor of a lesser store for a couple of reasons.

1. The better store is more expensive to run to a degree that it is actually less profitable overall.
2. They did some sort of internal study that determined that closing the better performing store would retain more customers overall. This would be based on the proximity and convenience of the remaining stores nearby.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM

217 posts, read 581,397 times
Yeah, I watched a show that said Best Buy was now a showroom for Amazon. They somehow left out race as an issue for store closings??? Sorry urza!!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM

I will hopefully be living IN Homewood in the near future. But it takes almost twice as long to get to the Homewood store than the Matteson store from where I am living right now.

To someone living Park Forest or Richton Park, it is also definitely less convenient. The Homewood Best Buy is on Halsted on the northeast fringes of Homewood. Not downtown Homewood at all.

Last edited by urza216; 04-17-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
I will hopefully be living IN Homewood in the near future. But it takes almost twice as long to get to the Homewood store than the Matteson store from where I am living right now.

To someone living Park Forest or Richton Park, it is also definitely less convenient. The Homewood Best Buy is on Halsted on the northeast fringes of Homewood. Not downtown Homewood at all.
Well Maybe HH Gregg will move into Matteson.

Seems demographically more money is tied in with the Frankfort, Mokena , Tinley Park areas albeit Matteson and Olympia Fields has a fair amount of wealth.

Case in point Old Navy moved out of Lincoln Mall and leased space for a spot in Tinley Park.

Little Guys Electronics pulled up in Glenwood and moved into Mokena (another example)
They literally went where they would have more of a chance to survive.
Guess they saw more opportunity with the households in Frankfort,Mokena,Tinley
Unfortunatley for people in Monee and such it is a drive.

Retailers are most times going to go with the largest amount of consumers with a higher amount of income within a smaller geographical radius.

However I am in your court thinking opportunities are lost in Matteson.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 AM

The Best Buy on Halsted is convenient for people living in Harvey, Thorton, Glenwood, Chicago Heights, Homewood and Flossmoor. But it isn't to those in Matteson, Olympia Fields, Richton Park, Park Forest, University Park or Monee. However, the Matteson store was convenient. The Matteson store is terribly inconvenient to someone in Harvey or Thorton just as the Homewood store is terribly inconvenient to someone in University Park or Monee. To simply say "Oh, there's another Best Buy store in the area" is ignoring reality.

And btw, in between 175th and Ridge Rooad on Halsted (where the Best Buy is Located) really is "the northeast fringes of Homewood" as I said. Take a look: //www.city-data.com/city/Homewood-Illinois.html

Last edited by urza216; 04-19-2012 at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs