Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,318,210 times

Advertisements

Agreed. Here is another piece of the puzzle.

Company "A" owns two stores of equal size. Both need updating. The store in M-Town is returning a solid $10K profit, but the store in O-Town is returning a $25K profit. What happens.

[1] O-Town is upgraded first with a spiffy new facelift with fresh paint and new fixtures inside.
[2] Items that don't sell are sent to M-Town.

[1] M-town gets a less expensive "new look" and the departments are shuffled.
[2] This store takes the loss on the items sent from O-Town that it could not sell. No one would buy the pricey lime green clutch or the matching lime green sandals with the fluffy pink feathers.

Instead of faulting the M-Town store they should have fired the Florida buyer who purchased 10,000 of each item for the upscale O-town store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Put racism to the side for a moment and put on a different hat.

Lets say your the chief exec at carsons you have 100k people with disposable incomes of 5k a month or you have 100k people with disposable income of 100 dollars a month.

Doesnt take much to figure out where to put your larger store with better service.

you put it where people have disposable income to spend

not saying matteson doesnt have wealthy people but your chances of success are going to be much higher than in matteson

you are dealing with corporate america and dealing with shareholders who wish to see results not the equality of america just the bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,318,210 times
The busy shopping areas I am familiar with all have highly visible private security driving through the parking lots and on foot inside.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,085,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongchicagoland View Post
Ok, let's be real. Why is Matteson, which is right on 57 and 30 (literally right on the highway exit) stuggling so much, while Orland, which is 3 miles off the highway with a congested nasty Route 45 as the only North/South artery doing so well? Matteson is a more convenient option for Chicagoians that are shopping, closer to more densely populated areas, and IMHO is actually a pretty nice town.

The answer is racism!
One of my closest friends is a black guy who I've prabobly talked about race with more than anyone else, especially if the internet doesn't count. I read this post to him today. As I was reading it he said, "I think he knows the answer". And then when I got to the end of what I have quoted, he started talking and I never actually finished reading it to him.

But anyway, he said "It's not racism. It's being observant." There's is also the economic factor. I quickly pointed out that there are a number of well off people living in Matteson and Olympia Fields and there are even a few in Park Forest and Chicago Heights. But yeah, there are also a lot of not-so-well off blacks and Hispanics living there (I bolded it for the forum, not because he put any emphasis on that).

He also asked me a good question that people on this thread should honestly ask themselves. If YOU were a small bussiness owner, where would you open up? Matteson or Tinley Park? Not where would you like to see a new business open up. But if you wanted to start a bussiness and were putting everything you had into a bussiness and just COULDN'T see it fail, where would you open up? At first I said Matteson but honestly, prabobly Tinley Park.. It's less of a risk.

He also said something else that I wanted to throw out there. There is no Taco Bell in Chicago Heights.. Why is that? It's very peculiar, isn't it? I know most people on this forum don't seem to give a damn about the real ghetto but still, think about it. There's a Taco Bell in Matteson and another one in Park Forest? And Chicago Heights has no shortage of fast food. In fact, fast food is plentiful in the Heights. As far as franchises are concerned, you got Mcdonalds, Burger King, White Castle, Wendy's, Church's Chicken, Brown's Chicken, Subway and prabobly something I'm forgetting. This is to say nothing of the countless gyros joints, burrito places and fish and chicken restaurants... But no Taco Bell.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The busy shopping areas I am familiar with all have highly visible private security driving through the parking lots and on foot inside.
There is parking lot security in a few of the strip malls in Matteson. But adding more security doesn't exactly make the place look safer. What a great incentive to go to Tinley Park - not having to deal with eyed by a security guard. I stop going to Radio Shack in Chicago Heights because they were so paranoid about theft.. I go to Matteson instead now.

Radio Shack in Chicago Heights did get robbed at gunpoint. But they shouldn't grill every customer who walks in the door. Dude, if you don't want me here spending my money then I won't.. lol

Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM

2,161 posts, read 5,506,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
One of my closest friends is a black guy who I've prabobly talked about race with more than anyone else, especially if the internet doesn't count. I read this post to him today. As I was reading it he said, "I think he knows the answer". And then when I got to the end of what I have quoted, he started talking and I never actually finished reading it to him.

But anyway, he said "It's not racism. It's being observant." There's is also the economic factor. I quickly pointed out that there are a number of well off people living in Matteson and Olympia Fields and there are even a few in Park Forest and Chicago Heights. But yeah, there are also a lot of not-so-well off blacks and Hispanics living there (I bolded it for the forum, not because he put any emphasis on that).

He also asked me a good question that people on this thread should honestly ask themselves. If YOU were a small bussiness owner, where would you open up? Matteson or Tinley Park? Not where would you like to see a new business open up. But if you wanted to start a bussiness and were putting everything you had into a bussiness and just COULDN'T see it fail, where would you open up? At first I said Matteson but honestly, prabobly Tinley Park.. It's less of a risk.

He also said something else that I wanted to throw out there. There is no Taco Bell in Chicago Heights.. Why is that? It's very peculiar, isn't it? I know most people on this forum don't seem to give a damn about the real ghetto but still, think about it. There's a Taco Bell in Matteson and another one in Park Forest? And Chicago Heights has no shortage of fast food. In fact, fast food is plentiful in the Heights. As far as franchises are concerned, you got Mcdonalds, Burger King, White Castle, Wendy's, Church's Chicken, Brown's Chicken, Subway and prabobly something I'm forgetting. This is to say nothing of the countless gyros joints, burrito places and fish and chicken restaurants... But no Taco Bell.
Good post. And as a business owner, I would rather open a business in Tinley Park. In Tinley Park, I am going to attract shoppers from the immediate area AND those from Homewood/Flossmoor, etc. who were probably on the way to Orland Park to do their shopping. If I opened in Matteson, I would miss out on the shoppers with the highest disposable income of the area.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,115,151 times
Hopefully the good service personal will be offered positions in other stores..

Now they are leaving maybe HH Gregg will come into the area.

There is a large blue building for rent right off busy cicero and busy lincoln hwy..

Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Customer service at the Matteson Best Buy was excellent. Always very helpful. There are a lot of things that HH Gregg doesn't have. While Best Buy has pretty much anything you're looking for electronically.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM

217 posts, read 582,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Customer service at the Matteson Best Buy was excellent. Always very helpful. There are a lot of things that HH Gregg doesn't have. While Best Buy has pretty much anything you're looking for electronically.
Are you still talking about this? Boo Hoo your Best Buy closed, shop via Amazon like all the other ex Best Buy customers!!! Best Buy will be dead (even in the great Tinley Park) in less than 10 years.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
Are you still talking about this? Boo Hoo your Best Buy closed, shop via Amazon like all the other ex Best Buy customers!!! Best Buy will be dead (even in the great Tinley Park) in less than 10 years.
No warranty or crappy warrenty? I'd rather not..

Plus I have to actually pay the full price right away on Amazon. And cant put it on my Best Buy credit card.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 AM

217 posts, read 582,476 times
Yeah, but all indications from Wall Street say they will be done unless they switch to large appliances only. The one part of their business plan was to have knowledgeable sales people on hand for their customers, works great if the internet didn't exist. How often do you or anybody including myself NOT research a product (electronic, appliance,etc.) or any other larger purchase on the net? Simply stated I and most others don't need their knowledge. For me it stinks cause I'd rather go into a store and buy direct with the research on the net and kinda take the salespersons advice with a "grain of salt" but still take the item home with me, but times are changing and Best Buy will die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs